Moultrie M-880 Gen2
- The M-880 Gen2 is a red glow trailcam that takes great night pictures and will last months on a set of batteries. Keep the owners manual handy though, programming is not intuitive. - TCP Staff
Read our full Moultrie M880 Gen2 review below.
2015 Moultrie M-880 Gen2 Review
Model # MCG-12691 | Moultrie M880 Gen2 Owners Manual
- Very good battery life
- Excellent night pictures
- Poor design on Python lock bracket
- Programming can be tricky at first
The Moultrie M880 Gen2 is brand new for 2015 and comes with a complete redesign from last years M-880. This is a red glow infrared trail camera, meaning the infrared LEDs glow red when taking a photo or video at night.
Quality of Design 3.6 Stars
Dimensions: 5.75" x 4.75" x 3.25" | Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
The case design changed quite drastically from previous years. The latch is huge, which so far is a plus. It has been relatively easy to open and close, even with cold fingers. The buttons for programming and the battery eject tray are all positive and work well.
The python lock bracket is an extremely poor design. The loops are angled which makes the camera sit funny on a tree if you are only using the python lock and not the security case. It would also be pretty easy to torque the camera in a way to easily snap the brackets. We don't like this design at all, the only way to truly correct this is to use the camera with a security case.
The programming takes some getting used to. The programming from the 2013 M-880 was simple and easy to use, but ever since then the programming has grown in intricacy. We have received quite a few calls from our customers needing help programming their camera (which is unusual for a non-cellular trail camera). Here is a breakdown of some of the more popular settings:
- 1-3 multi-shot
- 5 s. - 90 s. video clips
- Time Lapse: 10/30 s. / 1/5/10/15/30 min. 1/2/3/6/12/24 hrs. w/ 1 or 2 prog. / day
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature, moon phase and camera name
- Picture + Video Mode: No
- Start/Stop Time: No
- Password Protection: Yes
- SD Card Overwrite: Yes
- PIR Settings: Yes (High/Low)
- Flash Settings: Yes (Motion freeze on/off)
So far, durability remains consistent with the industry average for a camera made in China. We expect this to remain constant.
Detection Circuit 3.0 Stars
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.97 s. / 4.5 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.49 s. / 7.7 s. | Detection Range: 50 ft.
The picture trigger time is just under one second, which by today's standards is average. The picture recovery is 4.5 seconds is fairly typical of many modern trail cameras.
This is the first year we are incorporating video trigger and recovery times into our rankings. This will make the rankings even more accurate and stringent. The trigger time for videos is 1.49 seconds (which is above average) and the recovery is 7.7 seconds (which is middle of the road).
Detection range on the Moultrie M880 Gen2 is right at 50 ft, just as the manufacturer claims. By today's standards, this is below average. Overall, this detection circuit isn't slow by any means, however, it would benefit from some improvement.
Picture Quality 4.2 Stars
Photo resolution: 8 mpxl (Enhanced, High, Med. & Low) | Video Resolution: 1280 x 720 no audio | Flash Type: Red Glow Infrared
Daytime pictures have excellent color and contrast. Last year, the M880 had serious focus problems. This camera, the 2015 Gen2 model, has produced mixed results on day pictures. Many of the pictures we are collecting are incredible. The color is perfect and the focus is really good. On other cameras, the pictures still have great color, but animals and objects are clearly out of focus. So which is it? We are hoping the out of focus pictures are anomalies, but we will continue to monitor and test this.
Night pictures appear to be excellent. The contrast is perfect, making the picture appear sharp and clear. There is a bit of blurring, but not too bad. Flash range is a very solid 50 ft. Night pictures are a definite strength of this camera.
We are starting to include video quality in our rankings for this year. We will judge the day and night videos separately, just as we do with pictures.
The daytime videos have good color and solid clarity. This model does not record audio with the video. The night videos look great so far, the contrast is excellent and the flash range looks to be very strong. Night videos will only take up to a 30 second video. You can view all our current Moultrie M-880 Gen2 videos with the playlist below.
Battery Life 3.7 Stars
Resting Power (on): 0.96 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.18 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 10.04 Ws
The resting power is incredibly low and impressive. The daytime power consumption is also really good but something takes a turn for the worse when it takes a night picture. 10.04 Ws is too high.
While this camera can operate on alkaline AA batteries, we greatly prefer Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in our cameras. They are much more consistent and will last an incredible amount of time. Even with the high nighttime power consumption, if this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, this camera could last 7.1 months in the field (with lithiums).
This camera will not work with rechargeable batteries.
Moultrie M-880 Gen2 Review Conclusion 3.6 Stars
Overall, this camera has good battery life and excellent night pictures/videos. The day pictures look really good except for some clarity issues; which depending on how closely you inspect your photos, may or may not be an issue for you. The python bracket is frustrating for anyone wanting to secure the camera with a cable lock, and you will need to read the owner's manual to fully grasp the programming. This camera is very middle of the road. A few good things, a few bad things and everything else is very average.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
- Free shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped FedEx Ground
- All items are shipped via FedEx Ground - No P.O. Boxes
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer Next day, 2nd day & 3rd day air at the FedEx Standard rate. Please call toll free for an exact time and cost quote @800-791-0660
Dear International Customer:
Trailcampro has shipped to practically every country on the globe and is dedicated to the highest standards in International Customer Service.
We ship via FedEx International Air (fully insured) with an ETA of 2 to 8 days, depending on your location. Due to our high volume with FedEx, we can offer discounts of 35% to 40% off their list carriage rates.
We ask that you first contact us by email at internationalorders@Trailcampro.com with your proposed order. We will calculate the packaged weight and promptly provide a carriage quote and estimated delivery time. If the quote is acceptable, simply provide us with your credit card information (Name, Credit Card Billing Address, Account Number, Expiration Date and the 3 Digit Security Code on the back) and your order will be on its way. Alternatively, payment can be made via bank transfer to our International Swift account with Bank of America. Additional Notes:
All merchandise purchased is FOB Springfield MO USA
Customs duties and/or related taxes are the buyer's responsibility.
Our goal is to make sure your International buying experience exceeds your expectations. If you have any questions, or would like references from our customer base of large institutional, research or university clients, please feel free to contact me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org
President & CEO
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
We believe you deserve the best. For years, our 90 Day Return Policy was unquestionably the best you could find.
We decided to make it better
Starting January 1st, 2013, any product purchased online from Trailcampro
comes with our exclusive 2 year warranty for free.
Other companies offer you extended warranties for an additional $30 - $50. Not at Trailcampro. It's free, No strings attached.
"So I never have to deal with another computer generated voice again?"
Correct! When our phone rings, it goes directly to a trail camera expert. If you call after hours, leave a message and we will call you back as soon as we are back in the office.
"This sounds too good to be true..."
Our philosophy is to impress every single customer. That's why we post trail camera reviews & trail camera tests and provide unlimited customer support. These services help you make the right decision before you buy. We understand not everyone will purchase from us. It's a free world, we don't hold grudges! If you do decide to buy through us, we promise to reward you with the best customer service experience of your life. We guarantee it!
90 Day Return Policy
We will accept returns of anything purchased from us, for any reason, within 90 days (Reconyx per their request likes to handles their own returns). This completely guarantees your 100% satisfaction.
- Buyer's remorse? Return it for a full refund.
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will get you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
- In the event of a return for refund orders purchased with gift cards are only eligible for store credit
How to Return a Game Camera
In typical Trailcampro fashion, we make this as simple as possible.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned in their original packaging with all contents.
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You can not write on the camera, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- Commercial and/or institutional orders with quantities of (5) or more are not eligible for the 90 day, No Questions Asked return policy.
We want to make our return policy and 2 year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. As with anything, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return anything purchased from us, for a full 90 days from time of purchase, for a refund, exchange or switch to a different model. You are welcome to use the items as much as you like in that time period. Put it in the snow, ice, and elements. We want your full satisfaction, so use the products as you would normally.
Here are the rules for our 90 Day Return Policy:
90 days from date of purchase.
In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents.
Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You can not write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
If you only return part of a packaged item, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
If are are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
Here are the rules for the 2 Year Exclusive Warranty:
- Warranty starts from time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years after that.
- Warranty is only valid on full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2 year warranty). If you receive a quantity discount, you would have to use the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2 year warranty as well.
- If your camera becomes defective and the camera is now discontinued and we are unable to give you the exact model as a replacement, we will exchange it for a similar item that we can both agree upon. After one year, we reserve the right to replace it with one of our demo models, if it is in perfect working condition and the same model that you sent back.
- If you have a 2G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 2G reception in your area.
- To warranty a camera, fill out the form below. Upon receipt of a RMA number (via email), you will need to ship the camera to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
- Camera can not be marked on, damaged or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only.
To submit a warranty or return, go to our warranty page and fill out the form.