Browning Recon Force Platinum
TCP Rating - 78/100
- If you are looking for an outstanding red glow IR trail camera to take wildlife videos, there is no finer camera for the money. Picture quality is below average though, so use this camera for videos, not pictures. - TCP Staff
2016 Browning Recon Force Platinum Review
Model # BTC-7FHD-P | Browning Recon Force Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- 2" Internal viewing screen
- Fast video detection capabilities
- Excellent case design
- Max of 20 second night videos
- Slow picture trigger speed
The Browning Recon Force Platinum is a red glow IR trail camera that has a 2" internal picture viewer. This viewer allows you to see the pictures and videos the camera has taken. The other benefit to the Recon Force is the 1920 x 1080 Full HD video resolution (with sound).
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4.25" x 3" | Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
You will find that case design is outstanding in the Recon Force Platinum. We love the internal viewer, which doubles as a "Live Preview" when setting the camera up in the field. This camera feels well-made, buttons are crisp, batteries are easy to remove and replace - overall, this is one of the best case designs on the market.
This camera is incredibly easy to program, you won't need the owner's manual. Another benefit to the internal viewer, is it allows for bigger text in the setup screen - so no squinting or glasses needed.
The Recon Force Platinum has all the basic setup options, but is missing some of the popular options, like password protection, SD card overwrite and a start/stop time. If there is a weakness in this category, it would be lack of programming options.
We have not had any warranty issues arise with the Recon Force. If something does come up, we will update our review to reflect those findings.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.11 s. / 1.4 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.00 s. / 1.6 s. | Detection Range: 80 ft.
First time we have seen a cameras video trigger speed faster than the picture speed. 1.1 seconds on picture trigger speed is far too slow for a modern trail camera. The video speed is outstanding.
Detection zone, so far, has been better than all the other 2016 Browning trail cameras. This camera detected 80 ft. in our Detection Shootout.
Photo resolution: 10 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1920 x 1080 w/ audio | Flash Type: Red Glow Infrared
Picture quality, during the day, is very pixelated. This is nearly identical to what we saw in the 2015 Recon Force trail cameras. Outside of that, the pictures have bright, vivid color, but the pixelation is very distracting.
Night pictures have a good amount of flash range and brightness, but they also have a lot of "white noise" and graininess. It does stop motion really well though. Overall, picture quality is below average.
Video quality is what carries the Recon Force Platinum. Day videos are spectacularly clear, especially when given plenty of sunlight. The clarity and color is outstanding. Night videos have great flash range, clarity and record smoothly. We love the videos this camera has taken.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel ratings trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Resting Power (on): 1.12 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 7.08 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 8.93 Ws
The Recon Force Platinum uses 8 AA batteries. Do yourself a favor and use lithium batteries for long life.
The day and night power consumption is higher than we would like to see. It is even higher than the Dark Ops and Strike Force cameras, which is mildly surprising.
If this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 5.5 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
2016 Browning Recon Force Platinum Conclusion: 78/100
The Recon Force is very easy to sum up. If you are looking for an outstanding red glow IR trail camera to take wildlife videos, there is no finer camera for the money. Video quality is top-notch at every level. If you are looking for a picture camera, the Recon Force will not impress you with picture quality.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- Red Glow Infrared Flash
- 12 Volt External Battery Jack
- 10 Mpxl Pictures (interpolated)
- 1920 x 1080 HD Video w/ audio (5 - 120 second clips)
- Picture Info Displays: Time, date, moon phase, temperature and camera ID
- Backlit display and controls for easy programming in low light conditions
- Timelapse mode plus IR triggered images
- Runs on 8 AA batteries (We recommend Lithium on Nimh rechargeable batteries only)
- Supports up to 32 Gig SD Card
- TV out jack
- USB 2.0 port
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom of the camera
- Smart IR video (dynamic video)
- Buckwatch timelapse viewer plus PC software
- Multi-shot up to 8 images
- 4 picture resolutions
- Time delay: 5, 10, 20 and 30 seconds. Or, 1, 5, 10, 30 and 60 minutes
- Aim test mode
- Comes with 6 foot nylon strap with all metal heavy duty buckle
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90 day return policy and our exclusive 2 year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Recon Force Platinum Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Recon Force.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Recon Force has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Recon Force, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.