Browning Spec Ops Platinum
2016 Browning Spec Ops Platinum Review
- This camera is known for outstanding video quality and a nice 2" internal viewing screen. The Spec Ops doesn't excel in picture taking, but it is an elite video trail camera. - TCP Staff
Model # BTC-8FHD-P | Browning Spec Ops Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:5.2 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:77/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:87/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Incredible video quality
- Very fast video detection
- 2" Internal viewing screen
- Max of 20 second night videos
- Slow picture trigger speed
The Spec Ops Platinum is a no glow infrared game camera with a 2" internal viewer. This internal viewer can be used to position the camera and look at the pictures/videos the camera has taken.
Photo resolution: 10 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1920 x 1080 w/ audio | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
The day photos are similar to the Browning Recon Force. They look very pixelated even though they have really good color. Day pictures benefit greatly from reducing the mpxl setting down to a more native resolution - like medium (4 mpxl). This reduces the pixelation.
Night images have a lot of "white noise" and can be grainy. The night pictures are very middle of the road.
Video quality is where the Spec Ops shines. Day videos are spectacularly clear, especially when given plenty of sunlight. The clarity and color is outstanding. Night videos have great flash range, clarity and record smoothly.
Resting Power (on): 1.16 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 7.19 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 9.81 Ws
The Spec Ops Platinum uses 8 AA batteries. Do yourself a favor and use lithium batteries for long life.
The day and night power consumption is higher than we would like to see. It is even higher than the Dark Ops and Strike Force cameras, which is mildly surprising.
If this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 5.2 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.10 s. / 1.4 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.94 s. / 1.5 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft.
This is the first time we have seen a cameras video trigger speed faster than the picture speed. 1.1 seconds on picture trigger speed is far too slow for a modern trail camera. The video speed is outstanding.
Detection range is 60 ft., which has been the most common range we have seen on all the 2016 trail cameras.
Overall, this camera excels in video detection and is average in picture detection.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4.25" x 3" | Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
This camera is incredibly easy to program, you won't need the owner's manual. Another benefit to the internal viewer, is it allows for bigger text in the setup screen - so no squinting or glasses needed. You will find that case design is outstanding in the Spec Ops Platinum. We love the internal viewer, which doubles as a "Live Preview" when setting the camera up in the field. This camera feels well-made, buttons are crisp, batteries are easy to remove and replace - overall, this is one of the best case designs on the market.
The Spec Ops Platinum has all the basic setup options, but is missing some of the popular options, like password protection and start/stop time. If there is a weakness in this category, it would be the lack of programming options.
We have not had any warranty issues arise with the Spec Ops. If something does come up, we will update our review to reflect those findings.
Browning Spec Ops Platinum Conclusion: 76/100
You buy this camera for one reason, you want a great no glow IR video trail camera. If you need a camera for that purpose, you can't do any better in this price range.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
- No Glow Infrared Flash
- 12 Volt External Battery Jack
- 10 Mpxl Pictures (interpolated)
- 1920 x 1080 HD Video w/ audio (5 - 120 second clips)
- Picture Info Displays: Time, date, moon phase, barometric pressure, temperature and camera ID
- Backlit display and controls for easy programming in low light conditions
- Timelapse mode plus IR triggered images
- Runs on 8 AA batteries (We recommend Lithium on Nimh rechargeable batteries only)
- Supports up to 32 Gig SD Card
- SD card overwrite (loop recording)
- TV out jack
- USB 2.0 port
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom of the camera
- Smart IR video (dynamic video)
- Buckwatch timelapse viewer plus PC software
- Multi-shot up to 8 images
- 4 picture resolutions
- Time delay: 5, 10, 20 and 30 seconds. Or, 1, 5, 10, 30 and 60 minutes
- Aim test mode
- Comes with 6 foot nylon strap with all metal heavy duty buckle
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90 day return policy and our exclusive 2 year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Spec Ops Platinum Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Spec Ops.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Spec Ops has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Spec Ops, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.