- TCP Rating: 78/100
- Color night videos should be what you need if you are looking at the Covert Illuminator. Unfortunately, the detection speed is relatively slow, so the animals will need to be in front of the camera for some time. - TCP Staff
Read our full review below.
Covert Illuminator Review
Model # 2915 | Covert Illuminator Owners Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- Color night videos & photos
- Good daytime photos
- 2" Internal Viewer
- Fantastic battery life
- Slow trigger & recovery speed
The Covert Illuminator is a white LED trail camera. The LEDs produce an extremely bright white flash when taking pictures or videos at night. This enables the camera to take color night pictures/videos.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4" x 3" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
The Illuminator has a built in bracket for a python cable lock and a 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom for a Slate River Mount.
This is one of the few cameras on the market that still has an internal picture viewer (2"). You can view pictures on this screen from the inside of the camera.
One of the most impressive features of this camera is the long list of programmable functions. Not only does the Illuminator have overwrite function, password protection and PIR controls; this is one of a very few that has start/stop time. This means the camera can be set to turn on at custom time intervals during the day. There are only a handful of cameras that have this feature.
Programming the camera is incredibly easy and intuitive. You shouldn't have problems getting this camera up and running without looking at the manual. Here is a look at many of the popular setting options:
- 1-3 multi-shot
- 5 s. - 60 s. video clips
- Time Lapse: custom start/stop time. 5 s. - 8 hr. time intervals
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature and moon phase
- Picture + Video Mode: No
- Start/Stop Time: Yes
- Password Protection: Yes
- SD Card Overwrite: Yes
- PIR Settings: Yes | High, Low
- Flash Settings: No
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.08 s. / 5.8 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.49 s. / 5.1 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft.
Trigger and recovery times have improved slightly on the 2016 Illuminator scouting camera. However, they are still below average.
Detection zone is decent, it is just the overall detection capabilities are hampered by the slow, methodical recovery time.
Photo resolution: 12, 8, 5 or 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 320 x 240 w/ audio | Flash Type: White LED
Day pictures have great color and clarity. They are vivid and very true to life. We saw a bit of blur during the day, but nothing alarming.
Night pictures come from the white LED flash. This enables the Illuminator to take color night images (and videos). These are typical of white LED pictures - colorful but blurry. Flash range is decent but not spectacular.
Resting Power (on): 3.36 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.38 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 3.15 Ws
For 2016, the Illuminator has greatly improved battery life. Resting power dropped almost 2 milliwatts. For a white LED scouting camera, this is incredible battery data.
The camera operates on 12 AA batteries. You will get the best performance out of your camera if you use Lithium batteries. Alkaline batteries will work, but they are very unreliable and drain faster in cold weather. The Illiminator will work with Tenergy Nimh Rechargeable batteries.
If this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, this camera could last 11.2 months in the field (with lithiums).
Covert Illuminator Conclusion: 78/100
The Covert Illuminator has improved significantly in 2016. Bettery battery life and a slight improvement to detection speed being the biggest improvements. We would like to see less blurry night images, but that seems to be the case with every white LED scouting camera. Buy this camera if you need an affordable trail camera that takes color night videos.Back to Top of Page
- 12 Mpxl photo resolution (interpolated)
- White LED Flash
- Color day and night images
- Time, temperature, date and moon phase stamp on each image
- 2" internal color viewer
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom of the camera
- Built in python cable bracket
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90 day return policy and our exclusive 2 year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Covert Illuminator Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the 2016 Illuminator.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Illuminator has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Illuminator, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.