HCO Scoutguard SG560C
HCO Scoutguard SG560C Review
- White LED camera traps are used mainly when color night videos are required. The SG560 does a good job in this regard, but is relatively slow and takes marginal nighttime photos. If pictures are desired, we recommend a camera with an incandescent flash like the HCO SG565. - TCP Staff.
Model # SG560c | HCO SG560C Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:60/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:78/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Good day & night photos
- Detection zone covers a huge area
- Excellent case design & easy programming
- Slow trigger speed
- Blurry night photos on movement
The HCO Scoutguard SG560c (also known as the SG860c) is the second white LED camera trap to come to market (Reconyx HC550 is the first). White LEDs are the alternative to Incandescent flash cameras. HCO also makes the leading Incandescent flash camera, the HCO Scoutguard SG565.
What are the benefits of white LED over Incandescent flash? Well, for one there is no sound in a white LED flash while incandescent cameras have the typical "pop" or "snap" when a night photo is taken. Does this make a difference? Maybe. Incandescent and White LEDs both produce a very bright and obtrusive light. If an animal isn't scared from that it's doubtful a little sound will bother them either.
Photo resolution: 8 or 5 mpxl | Video Resolution: 640x 480 audio | Flash Type: White LED
Picture quality is easily the best part of this camera. The day photos are outstanding in every way. The color produced for day photos is vivid and sharp. The clarity is excellent even though you will occasionally get a slightly blurred day photo with heavy motion. Night pictures are extremely sharp and have great color when there is no movement. However, just like all the other white LED cameras, there is blur on objects with movement. The flash range is about 40 ft.
The SG560C is one of only a few cameras which takes color night videos. Videos seem to be really good whether day or night. You can check out all our videos below.
Resting Power (on): 1.14 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 4.86 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 8.45 Ws
Battery life for the SG560c is pretty good. Low resting current and moderate current draws both during the day and night give this a good overall rating. As you can see from the video on the right, the camera draws current for roughly 8 seconds while it stores the photo. This accounts for the majority of the power consumption.
It is always difficult to estimate real-time battery life, but with the above data, you can estimate a 2-3 month battery cycle for the Scoutguard SG560c. There is nothing shabby about that. Lithium's, NiMH, and alkaline batteries will all work in the SG560c. Lithium batteries will give you the longest battery life and also produce slightly brighter night photos than alkaline batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.2 s. / 9 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.27 s. / 4.8 s. | Detection Range: 80 ft.
The trigger speed and the recovery time are pretty slow. Whether you are using pictures or videos this camera isn't a speed freak. Both could improve greatly.
The highlight of the detection circuit is an excellent detection zone. The zone is wide and has a maximum range of 80 ft. This is impressive and allows the camera to cover a huge area making it ideal for open fields and food plots.
Dimensions: 5" x 4" x 2.5" | Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
The case design on the SG560c is high quality all the way around. The case is made of strong plastic and the programming buttons have a very positive "click". The battery compartment hugs the batteries snugly. The only real complaint is the lack of a built-in python cable insert.
Programming the camera takes seconds and is easy using the large 2" viewing screen which also doubles as a picture viewer. The SG560c has time lapse capabilities, but can't capture photos any quicker than every 5 minutes. The shooting information display is very hard to read in the field and it does not incorporate the date or time (it does imprint the date/time on the pictures, though) as the manual states it should have. Here is a look at many of the popular setting options:
- 1-3 multi-shot
- 5 s. - 60 s. video clips
- Time Lapse: 10 s. to 8 hrs.
- Photo Stamp: Time and date
- Picture + Video Mode: No
- Start/Stop Time: No
- Password Protection: No
- SD Card Overwrite: No
- PIR Settings: Yes | High, Low or Off
- Flash Settings: No
Durability has not been an issue. HCO cameras in general, have good durability and minimal problems.
HCO SG560C Reviews Conclusion: 70/100
If you are looking for a white LED trail camera, the SG560C is at or near the top of the list. The night pictures are going to be blurry, but really, if you buy a white LED camera you should be running it in video mode and not picture mode. As color night videos are what this camera is all about.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- White LED flash
- 6 Volt External Battery Jack
- 640 x 480 Video w/ audio
- Picture Info Displays: Time and date
- Runs on 8 AA batteries (We recommend Lithium on Nimh rechargeable batteries only)
- Supports up to 32 Gig SD Card
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert
- Multi-shot up to 3 images
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
HCO SG560C Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the SG560C.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case. The SG560C does not have brackets on the back for the python so you will need the case as well.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the SG560, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.