Reconyx Hyperfire SC950
- TCP Rating: 93/100
- This is the best trail camera money can buy - taking pictures at blazing speeds, producing crystal clear photos, and lasting months on end on a set of batteries. The SC950 mows down the competition in almost every category, making this our top game camera of 2016. - TCP Staff
Why buy a Reconyx from us?
Reconyx strictly protects their prices with MAP pricing (Minimum Advertised Price). If we lower the price of their camera at all, Reconyx pulls us from their authorized dealer list and cuts off our supply of their cameras. For that reason, you won't find a Reconyx trail camera cheaper anywhere else.
Since you won't find this camera cheaper elsewhere, why not buy from us? Benefits include:
- Free & Easy 90 Day Return Policy
- 2 Year Warranty
- Free 8 Gig SD Card
- Free shipping to the Lower 48
- Expert customer support | 1-800-791-0660
- Supporting the website that delivers unbiased trail camera reviews
Reconyx SC950 Review
Model # SC950 | Reconyx SC950 Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- Customizable on/off settings
- Extremely fast detection circuit
- Excellent durability
- Long battery life
- No video capabilities
The Reconyx SC950 is one of two in the line of security cameras from Reconyx. The first is the Reconyx SM750, which is a license plate camera - which is meant to capture vehicles. The SC950 (this camera) is your more typical human surveillance camera.
The SC950 is covert, which simply means the human eye can't detect the glow from the infrared LEDs. A thief could be walking by your camera, in the middle of the night, and be completely unaware you are taking dozens of pictures of them.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4.5" x 3" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: None
Case design, user setup, and durability couldn't be better. This ranking is higher from the other Hyperfire cameras because the SC950 has a few extra programmable option that the HC500 and HC600 do not have.
First, the SC950 can be programmed (with the software that is included) to be set to come on or shut off at certain times. For instance, if you are setting the camera up watching your business, you may not want it on from 8-5 while you are there. So, in turn, you could set the camera to come on at 5 pm and then shut off at 8 am.
Secondly, The 950 is set to "overwrite" its photos. This simply means if the sd card fills up the camera will keep recording by writing over the very first pictures taken. Please note, a Reconyx will hold roughly 28,000 pictures on an 8 gig card.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.19 s. / 1.0 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: none | Detection Range: 60 ft.
The SC950 has one of the fastest detection circuits on the market. The 0.19 second trigger time is incredible and the 1 second recovery time is top-notch.
Detection range is 60 ft., which is average by today's standards. Overall, the detection range is the only thing in this category that isn't top-notch.
Photo resolution: 3.1 mpxl | Video Resolution: None | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
As you would expect, picture quality for the SC950 is excellent. Day pictures are color, but as most security situations happen at night we will showcase the night photos. We simulated a break-in to a shed. The below pictures are the result. Notice the clarity, flash range and evenness of the no glow infrared flash.
Resting Power (on): 1.89mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.07 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 4.95 Ws
Battery life is a huge positive for the Reconyx SC950. All the below numbers are incredibly efficient, allowing the camera to last a long time in the field.
The SC950 operates on 12 AA batteries. You will need to use either Lithium or NiMH Rechargeable batteries. Alkaline batteries do not work in this camera, as they do not produce enough consistent power.
Reconyx SC950 Reviews Conclusion: 93/100
Without a doubt, this is the best pure security trail camera on the market. The functionality, along with the speed and picture quality makes this the absolute best camera for a security situation. The only thing this camera lacks is video capabilities.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
Additional Resources: Reconyx
- No glow IR flash
- 3.1 mpxl pictures
- No video
- Time Lapse: 1, 5, 15, 30 or 60 minute settings
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature, and moon phase
- Start/ stop time: Yes
- Password protection: Yes
- SD card overwrite: Yes
- PIR settings: Low/Med/High
- Flash setting: High quality, fast shutter, max range
- Temperature Range: -20° - 120° F.
- Field of View: 42°
- Flash Settings: High Quality, fast shutter, max range
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Reconyx SC950 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the SC950.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The SC950 has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the SC950, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.