Browning Recon Force Advantage
Holiday Promotion! Free Basic Pkg. upgrade until Dec. 24th. Select "Basic Pkg. - Save $70" to claim it (while supplies last).
Browning Recon Force Advantage Review
Model #BTC-7A | Recon Force Advantage Owner's Manual
- What isn't to love about the 2018 Recon Force Advantage? It checks all the marks regarding image/video quality, battery life, detection capabilities, and easy setup. It even has an internal viewer. This is an outstanding red glow IR game camera. -TCP Staff
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:8.7 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:94/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:88/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Superior picture and video quality
- Great detection circuit
- 8+ months of battery life
- Great case design + internal viewer
- Max of 20-second night videos
Photo resolution: 20 mpxl
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps
Flash Type: Red Glow IR
Picture quality seemingly keeps improving each year on the Recon Force line of Browning cameras. This year, we are seeing strikingly realistic color, very good clarity, and excellent overall daytime photos.
Night pictures have excellent sharpness, contrast, and illumination. Absolutely outstanding on all fronts.
Video quality is surreal. 60 frames per second makes a huge difference in quality (and the amount of space it uses on an SD card!). Night videos are top-notch as well, boasting plenty of flash range and clarity. We absolutely love the videos, both day and night.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.78 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 4.4 Ws | 5.5 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 26.7 Ws | 68.8 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Recon Force Advantage would last 8.7 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries. For an infrared trail camera using 8 batteries, we consider this to be really good.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 2.5 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. Much like picture battery life, we consider this to be pretty good for a camera using 8 batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.42 s. / 0.6 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.48 s. / 0.7 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 90-100 ft. (maximum) | 45.5° (40.6° F.O.V.)
In every category we can test, this is an outstanding detection circuit. Speeds are reliably fast and consistent.
Detection range hit 100 ft. twice in our Detection Shootout. Keep in mind, this is the maximum distance it should detect and detection range will vary based on ambient temperature.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4.25" x 3"
Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
The case design of the Recon Force Advantage is almost flawless. The camera feels sturdy and well-built. The strap and python cable bracket on the back is metal (most cameras are plastic) and the camera has a threaded slot on the bottom for a Slate River Mount. The battery compartment and SD card slot are both easily accessible.
If there is a weakness of the case design, it is the latch. It isn't as beefy as others on the market. It works just fine, but improvements could be made.
Temperature ratings the camera records have a tendency of being unreliable and off by a significant margin.
In general, this is an outstanding case design.
The Recon Force Advantage has a 2" internal viewer for picture playback, live preview, and setting adjustments. The settings respond quickly and the Advantage is very easy to setup. Whether you are a techie or not, this camera can be setup by any experience level.
The Recon Force Advantage has nearly every setting we have become accustomed to. The two main settings it lacks are password protection and start/stop time.
The Recon Force can accept SD cards up 512 Gigabytes. This is far more than you would ever need.
SD Card Storage Examples
With a 16 Gig SD card and the camera taking 4 mpxl photos (this is our recommended setting as it is closest to the native resolution), the Recon Force Advantage could store 9,304 pictures on the SD card.
With a 16 Gig SD card and the camera taking 1920x1080 videos (called "Ultra" video quality in the settings), the Recon Force could store 662 10-second videos. This can vary by the ratio of day to night videos (night videos take less space). This is just a reference guide for your convenience.
From this data, you can extrapolate out storage capacities of different sized SD cards and different resolution settings. We give you a 16 Gig SD card with the purchase of this camera through us. If you need additional or larger SD cards, you can shop all SD card options here.
Durability has been really good for the Advantage. Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but Browning trail cameras have proven to be a durable camera for us. If an issue arises in this model, we will update this Browning Recon Force Advantage Review immediately.
What isn't to love about the 2018 Recon Force Advantage? It checks all the marks regarding image/video quality, battery life, detection capabilities, and easy setup. It even has an internal viewer. This is an outstanding red glow IR game camera.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Browning Recon Force Advantage Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. This camera has a built-in viewer for reviewing images and videos on the camera itself.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: Yes. This is a red glow trail cameras, meaning it has a faint red glow when taking pictures or videos at night. Humans and animals can see this if looking at the camera. This does not "light up" the woods, though.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 8 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- 40.6° Field of View
- Red glow IR flash
- 20 mpxl photos (interpolated)
- 1920 x 1080 video resolution (60 fps)
- Adjustable IR flash output includes: economy mode, long range mode, blur reduction
- Picture info bar displays: Time, date, moon phase, temperature, and camera ID
- Timelapse mode plus IR triggered images
- SD card overwrite
- Smart IR video
- Accepts up to 512 Gig SD card
- TV out jack
- USB 2.0 port
- Multi-shot up to 8 images
- Selectable delay time between images 1, 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds and 1, 5, 10, 30, and 60 minutes
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Advantage has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Recon Force Advantage, but most people use two sd cards. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.