Buy it with:
Tactacam Reveal X Pro Trail Camera Review
The Tactacma Reveal X Pro takes excellent photos, is easy to setup, and has a pretty solid detection circuit. The battery life clocks in right around average (3.6 months) but for the price this is still a cellular camera that we would recommend. - TCP Staff
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
16 Mpxl Photos (interpolated)
Battery Life:3.6 Months
Using 15 pics day + 15 pics night
Trigger Speed & Detection:82/100
Trigger & Recovery: 0.42 s. - 28.0 s. (Pictures) | 90 ft. Range
Quality of Design:88/100
12 AA Batteries | 12-volt External Battery Jack | 2" Internal Viewer
Tactacam Reveal X Pro Trail Camera Review
- Good picture quality
- Solid detection circuit
- Easy setup
- Just average battery life
Photo resolution: 16 mpxl (interpolated)
Flash Type: No flash IR
Tactacam game cameras continue to impress us with their picture quality during daylight hours and at night. The sample images below are from the app, which means they are compressed and not full resolution. You can see the color is realistic, sharp, and the pictures have good contrast. Night phots have clarity and great contrast. Really, really good pictures for a cell camera.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the Tactacam Reveal X Pro camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 2.62 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 29.4 Ws | 34.8 Ws
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, the Reveal X Pro would last 3.6 months in the field on a set of 12 AA lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.42 s. | 28 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 90 ft. @ 33.4° detection angle (49.3° field of view)
The detection circuit is fast with a solid trigger and a sub-30 second recovery speed. The detection angle is significantly narrower than the field of view, but the detection range is solid. Overall, this is a good detection circuit.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 3.5" x 3.5"
Battery Type: 12 AA
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
SD Card: 16GB-32Gb
The case design is similar to other Tactacam units and feels well built and sturdy. The internal screen is a nice upgrade and makes set up and photo review easier. We do not like the push button on/off switch and prefer a toggle switch. A push button switch makes it hard to know whether the camera is on or off, whereas a toggle switch just takes a quick glance. Overall, that is a small infraction.
The camera has two threaded inserts for tripod mounts, one in the back and one on bottom. It also has a bracket for a python cable lock.
Camera setup is primarily done from the Tactacam smartphone app but you can also use the view to look at reception, settings, and a "live view" from the camera. We found this process to be simple and fast.
One important note, Tactacam does not recommend Sandisk Ultra SD cards and it has prompts in their set up screen that saying these are not recommended cards. It is literally the only card we use in their cameras and all other manufacturers (because of its superior compatibility) and we have never had an issue with it. With that being said, we do offer the Sandisk Extreme U3 card they recommend if you want to use it: This is the SD card that Tactacam recommends for their cameras.
- Select the sim card you want to use (ATT or Verizon) and insert it, batteries and sd card into the camera
- Download the Tactacam Reveal app to your phone and create an account.
- Scan the QR code found inside the camera with your phone. Activate the camera in the app.
- Follow the on screen prompts. Shouldn't take longer than a few minutes. It will ask a series of questions that you respond to as you progress through the set up.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Purchase your next trail camera with the Experts!
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.