Buy it with:
Covert Code Black Select Review
The Covert Select has a dual modem that works on the best carrier available in the area it is working. This camera sports an improved detection circuit and is solid in every area, with no apparent weakness. It also isn't top-notch at any one thing, but it does a solid job throughout. - TCP Staff
Model # CC0029
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Photos (interpolated) | Video Resolution
Battery Life: 5 Months (pics)
Using 15 pics day + night
Trigger Speed & Detection:85/100
Trigger & Recovery: 0.27 s. - 31.6 s. (Pictures) | 80 ft. Range
Quality of Design:87/100
12 AA Batteries | 6-volt External Battery Jack | 2" Internal Viewer
Trail Camera Review
- Solid photo quality
- Improved detection circuit
- Great case design
- Detection angle is wider than the field of view (will have a few false triggers)
The Covert Code Black Select comes with a dual modem that allows the camera to operate on ATT or Verizon towers.
Photo resolution: 30 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 4K video (Only transmits 720p)
Flash Type: No Glow IR
Just like all recent Covert cameras, picture quality is good during the day. The pictures have decent color, good clarity and depth. It seems to stop motion well too. They can get a little dark in shady areas (underexposed), however, overall these are great pictures.
Night pictures are decent. They have good flash but have some graininess as well. Overall, they are above average.
The Select can send videos but only in 360p even though Covert advertises that you can download in 720 (for $0.07). We can't explain the discrepency but this has been an issue for customers.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the Covert Code Black Select camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.12 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 39.3 Ws | 41.6 Ws
If this Covert Code Black Select trail camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 5 months on a set of lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.27 s. | 31.6 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 80 ft. @ 56.9 ° detection angle (48.1° field of view)
The Covert Code Black Select has a fast trigger and recovers in a reasonable amount of time. The detection zone is average in range and has a detection angle slightly wider that the field of view.
Battery Type: 12 AA (we recommend lithium)
External Battery Jack: 6-volt
SD Card: Up to 32GB
Not surprisingly, the case design on the Covert Code Black Select is still fantastic. The outer plastic case feels really solid and durable to the touch, the camera has two medium sized latches that are easy to open/close, and the case has all the accessories we like. There are two threaded inserts for Slate River Mounts (one on the back and one on the bottom) along with a built-in bracket for a Python Cable Lock on the back of the camera. The obvious difference in this case design from previous cameras is the single antenna on the top.
The built-in viewer makes aiming the camera very simple and the large buttons make scrolling through the setup easy as can be. Overall, case design is impressive.
- Download Covert Wireless App and create an account
- Insert batteries, SD card, antenna, and either the At&t or Verizon sim card into the camera. Turn the camera on and go to QR code - the code will appear on the Covert Code Black Select camera's screen
- Using your phone's camera, scan the QR code with the camera and click the link it provides
- On that link, you can login to your covert account, confirm the camera that was scanned and select a data plan from their options. Once you confirm, Covert says it can take up to 24 to add to your account (when we did this it took 10-15 minutes).
- Turn the camera to setup and wait for it to acquire a signal. Once signal is aquired and the camera connects to you account, turn the camera on and it will start taking and sending photos.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Purchase your next trail camera with the Experts!
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.