2017 Moultrie M-40i
2017 Moultrie M-40i Review
Moultrie M-40i Model # MCG-13182
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
Picture Quality:Testing in Progress
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:9 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:Testing in Progress
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:86/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- 9-Month battery life in picture mode
- 0.29 second trigger speed (picture mode)
- Outstanding case design
- 1.4-Month battery life in video mode
The 2017 Moultrie M40i game camera is a no glow IR trailcam that could work for both wildlife and security surveillance.
Photo resolution: 16, 8, 4, 2 mpxl
Video resolution: 1920x1080 w/ audio
Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
We are in the process of placing cameras and collecting photos.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.22 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.99 Ws | 6.49 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 21.64 Ws | 137.48 Ws
The battery efficiency depends on whether you plan on using the camera in picture or video mode. In picture mode, the camera is rather efficient on power consumption. In video mode, the M40i uses a large amount of power per video clip. Here are some examples.
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the 2017 M-40i would last 9 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries. This is a very efficient camera in picture mode.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.4 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is an inefficient video camera.
Our rating accounts for the average of both ratings. If you only use your trailcams in picture mode, the M40i gets good battery life. If you use your cameras in video mode, this is not an efficient camera.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.29 s. / n/a
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.8 s. / n/a
Detection Range: n/a
This category is under evaluation.
Dimensions: 5" x 3.25" x 3"
Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
The Moultrie M40i is a very well-made game camera.The plastic case is thick and sturdy. Along with that, this new M-40i is very small - much smaller than the Gen2 series of Moultrie game cameras from the last several years. This may seem like a small tweak (no pun intended), but it is a huge improvement. The smaller the game camera, the easier it is to haul into the woods, the harder it is to be spotted by a trespasser, and the easier it is to mount on a tree.
The latch to open and close the camera has an unorthodox mechanism, but it is easy to manipulate, even with cold fingers. We think it is much more practical and durable than it may appear at first glance. The battery tray ejects from the bottom of the camera and fortunately, the batteries are easy to load and unload.
The M-40i has two python lock brackets. You can choose to use the traditional back bracket, or, slide the cable lock through the front brackets, which locks the inside of the camera as well. This was a smart upgrade from Moultrie. The 1/4" x 20 threaded insert for Slate River Mounts is on the bottom of the camera.
M-40i Game Camera Setup
We've struggled the last several years with Moultrie's setup process. To us, it isn't intuitive and feels clunky. You shouldn't need the owner's manual to set the camera up, but it does take some getting used to. This shouldn't deter you from purchasing the camera, though, after spending some time with the M40i it starts to feel more natural.
SD Card Storage Examples
With an 8 Gig SD Card and the camera taking 4 mpxl photos (this is our recommended setting as it is closest to the native resolution), the M-40i could store 9,999 pictures on the SD card. Keep in mind, day pictures (color) have larger file sizes than night pictures (black and white), so this number could go up or down.
With an 8 Gig SD Card and the camera taking 1920x1080 videos, the M40i could store 387 10-second videos.
From this data, you can extrapolate storage capacities for different sized SD card and different resolution settings. We give you an 8 Gig SD Card with the purchase of this game camera through us. If you need additional or larger SD cards, you can shop all SD card options here.
Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but Moultrie game cameras were one of our most durable cameras the last two years. This is a new model, so we will continue to keep an eye on this going forward. If an issue arises, we will update this Moultrie M-40i Review immediately.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Moultrie M-40i Game Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: The Moultrie M-40i game camera detects on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on the M-40i?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 8 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
- No glow infrared emitters
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
- Accepts up to 32 Gig SD card
- Runs on 8 AA batteries (we recommend lithium batteries)
- 16 mpxl (interpolated) photos
- 1920 x 1080 w/ audio
- Video lengths 5 seconds - 90 seconds
- Picture stamp includes: Time, date, temperature, moon phase, and camera ID
- Timelapse + Motion Detection
- SD card Override
- Removable battery tray
- 1/4" x 20 threaded tripod insert
- Multi-shot up to 3 photos per trigger
- Includes 6' nylon strap
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert for Slate River Mount
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the M40 Game Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability, and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The M40i game camera has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the M-40i, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.