Browning Dark Ops Pro XD
Browning Dark Ops Pro XD Review
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Picture Quality:Testing in Progress
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:11.2 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:95/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:Testing in Progress
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
The 2018 Browning Dark Ops Pro XD has a few potential upgrades that have us pretty excited. Have two lenses, one for day shots and one for night shots, is especially interesting. Having a dedicated night lens can potentially increase nighttime photo quality significantly. Also, the upgraded video resolution could potentially put it on par with some of the top video trailcams on the market.
Overall, the Dark Ops Pro XD has some serious potential. We will update this review as testing progresses.
Photo resolution: 24 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 w/ audio
Flash Type: Low glow IR
We are placing cameras in the field. We will post pictures and videos as they become available.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.3 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.8 Ws | 1.9 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 18.7 Ws | 37.7 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Dark Ops HD Pro XD would last 11.2 months in the field on a set of 6 AA Lithium Batteries. We consider this to be outstanding, especially considering the camera only uses 6 batteries.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 2.8 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is very respectable battery life for video mode.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.2 s. / 0.3 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.72 s. / 1.9 s.
Detection Range: 90 ft. (maximum)
We can't find much wrong with a detection circuit that takes pictures and videos at lightning speeds along with a detection range of 90 ft. The one downside is the detection width is narrower than the field of view by about 10-15°. This does eliminate nearly all "false triggers," however, you will miss some triggers on the edge of the picture.
Dimensions: 4.25" x 3.75" x 3.25"
Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
This category is under evaluation
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Get the iOS & Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 8 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- 24 MP
- Invisible Night IR Illumination
- Dual Camera Lens Technology
- 1.5” Color View Screen
- 1920x1080 Full HD videos with sound (5 sec.- 2 min. length)
- Adjustable Flash Range (power save, long range)
- 80 ft. Detection Range
- All-Steel adjustable Tree Mounting Bracket
- Supports up to 512GB SDXC Memory Card (not included)
- Timelapse Camera Mode plus IR Triggered Images
- Up to 8 Multi Shot Images
- Up to 8 Rapid Fire Images
- SD Card Management
- Smart IR Video
- 12 volt External Power Jack
- Picture info bar displays: Time, Date, Temperature, Moon Phase, Barometric Pressure, Camera ID
- Programmable Picture Delay (1 sec. – 60 min.)
- Compatible with Browning Buck Watch Timelapse Viewer Software
- ¼” -20 Tripod Socket
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Dark Ops Pro XD.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the XD Pro, but most people use two sd cards. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.