Reconyx Microfire MS8
2017 Reconyx MS8 Review
Model # MS8
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Picture Quality:Testing in Progress
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:5.9 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:77/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:Testing in Progress
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- 40-100 ft. wifi range - change settings and download pics/vids to your phone
- Very fast picture detection and recovery
- 5-year warranty from Reconyx on this product
- Requires an app to be downloaded on your phone and basic technology skills
- Wifi connection will vary by setup
- Only locking option requires buying the security case
Photo resolution: 3 mpxl
Video resolution: 1024x720 w/ audio
Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
We are placing cameras in the field. We will post pictures and videos as they become available.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 2.89 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.94 Ws | 4.05 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 22.79 Ws | 86.48 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the MS8 would last 5.9 months in the field on a set of 6 AA Lithium Batteries. Keep in mind, the more you connect to the camera with your app and download photos, the quicker the batteries will be used.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.4 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This on the lower end of efficiency, but remember, the camera is only using 6 AA batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.22 s. / 1.7 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.31 s. / 7.1 s.
Detection Range: 50 ft.
Picture trigger and recovery speeds are outstanding. This camera can catch even the fastest animal. Video trigger is extremely impressive but the video recovery time is sluggish.
Detection range has been 50 ft. This is 10 ft. shorter than other Reconyx models tested at this year. The detection zone is slightly wider than the field of view, but not by much.
Overall, this detection circuit is faster than the Reconyx Ultrafire models but does not recover in picture mode as fast as the Hyperfire trail cameras.
Dimensions: 4.75" x 4" x 3"
Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
This category is under evaluation
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Reconyx MS8 Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a couple of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the micro SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the micro SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. The MS8 requires the Reconyx App to program the camera. From this app, you can also view the downloaded pictures or videos.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 8 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case. The MS8 does not have built-in brackets for the python lock, you have to use it with the security case.
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the MS8, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.