Buy it with:
Spartan Ghost Cam 4G Review
The Spartan Ghost is a 4G/LTE AT&T cellular trail camera. The Ghost takes excellent pictures and has impressive battery life (5.5 months). The detection circuit is well below average making this a good bait station or feeder camera trap but an ineffective camera for a fast-moving setup (i.e. game trail). - TCP Staff
Model #GST-ALTeb | Ghost 4G Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:5.5 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:65/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:81/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Spartan Ghost Cam Cellular Trail Camera Review
- Excellent picture quality
- Great battery life for a cellular camera
- Has an internal rechargeable battery for extra battery life
- Poor detection circuit
The Spartan Ghost AT&T trail camera uses a 4G/LTE Quectel EC25-V module that allows this camera to operate on AT&T 4G/LTE towers.
Photo resolution: 8 mpxl
Flash Type: No Glow IR
Day picture is really good as the pictures have solid clarity, good color, and overall depth on each image. Night pictures appear to have exceptional flash range, are even throughout the image, and offer solid contrast. We consider picture quality to be excellent on the Spartan Ghost game trail camera.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.76 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 30.74 Ws | 32.5 Ws
If this Spartan Ghost AT&T trail camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 5.5 months on a set of lithium batteries. This is extremely good for a cell camera.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.33 s. | 46.8 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 70 ft. @ 32.3° Detection Angle (42.5° field of view)
Picture trigger speed is very poor but the recovery time is relatively fast. The detection range is limited to 70 ft. and the detection angle is about 10° narrower than the field of view. Overall, this is a poor detection circuit.
Dimensions: 6" x 6" x 5"
Battery Type: 12 AA
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
SD Card Size: Up to 32GB
The case design is similar to other Spartan cellular models in both design and color. It does feel a touch more flimsy than the higher priced Spartan 4G, but overall, the case design is quite similar.
The camera's latch is oversized and easy to manipulate but the hinge to the camera has a bit of play in it, meaning it has a slight "wiggle' when opening. We do like that the Ghost has two threaded inserts (one on the back and one on the bottom) for a Slate River Mount. The Ghost also has a python bracket on the back of the camera.
The Ghost camera has an internal battery that can be charged via a 12-volt external power source. We recommend doing this before putting the camera in the field as it will give your battery life a boost.
One of the cool features of the Spartan Ghost is the GPS function that allows you to track the camera or be notified of the camera being moved. You can read and learn about it here.
Cellular Setup Instructions for a Spartan Ghost AT&T
Cellular setup on the Ghost is not the worst we have seen but certainly not the easiest. Having to toggle between the website and the app to get the camera running is neither intuitive nor efficient. The step-by-step instructions below are from Spartan. They are fairly accurate but make sure you go on spartancamera.com and buy the data before you get the registration code.
- Download the Spartan Camera Management App
- Click Register to create an account, or Login if you have an existing account
- Check your email and click the activation link
- Return to the app. Login, and click the + located in the upper left corner
- Either scan camera's MEID/IMEI barcode by tapping the icon on the right, or manually type the MEID/IMEI numbers
- You will then be prompted to purchase your data service. If you already purchased your data, please click yes
- Follow the instructions on the screen to locate your registration code for the camera. Input the code and click add
At this time, we do not have any durability concerns but will update this review if anything arises.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
The Spartan Ghost is a 4G/LTE AT&T cellular game trail camera. The Ghost takes excellent pictures and has impressive battery life (5.5 months). The detection circuit is well below average making this a good bait station or feeder camera trap but an ineffective camera for a fast-moving setup (i.e. game trail).
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Spartan Ghost Cam Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. Here are some other methods for viewing images:
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.