Reconyx Microfire MR5
- The Reconyx MR5 is the most innovative trail camera we have seen in 2016. This is a wireless trail camera that connects to the Reconyx App on your phone in order to change settings and/or download pictures and videos. You have to be within 100 ft. to connect to the phone. This review is still in progress. - TCP Staff
Reconyx MR5 Wireless Review
Model # MR5 | MR5 Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- 100 ft. wifi range - change settings and download pictures/videos on your phone
- Fast picture trigger and recovery speeds.
- Good battery life on only 6 AA batteries
- 5-year warranty from Reconyx on this product
- Excellent case design
- Requires an app to be downloaded on your phone and basic technology skills
- No locking options
The Reconyx Microfire MR5 is both unique and innovative. Within 100 feet (line of sight), the MR5 can be wirelessly accessed with the Reconyx app on your smartphone. With the app, you can change settings, check the cameras aim, download pictures/videos, and erase the micro-SD card.
The MR5 does not have the typical programming screen on the inside of the camera. This is a highly-evolved trailcam that does everything from your smartphone. If you set a password on the phone, you are the only person that can access the settings. All images are stored in their full resolution to the micro-SD card inside the camera, but you can also download compressed versions of the pictures and videos as long as you are within range of the MR5's wifi (100 ft. line of sight).
Please note, the camera does not need to be in a wifi zone, it creates its own wifi hotspot when the user is within range. This camera can be used in both remote rural areas and urban settings.
This review is still in progress.
Dimensions: 4.75" x 4" x 3" | Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 volt
We were quite giddy to see this camera released and finally in our hands for testing. Reconyx has a history of building trail cameras (right here in the United States) with extreme precision and durability but has never developed a trailcam as progressive as the Microfire MR5.
This is the first trail camera that has successfully and consistently been able to transmit photos from camera to smartphone without the use of a cellular network. Keep in mind, this camera does NOT connect to your home/business wifi and send photos anywhere. You have to be within 50-100 feet for transmission and access to the cameras settings.
Case design is unique and progressive. The MR5 has a tube shape and could be concealed inconspicuously in a number of ways. This is not without trade-offs. The tube shape could either blend in better or stick out depending on the situation. The mounting is also unique - the MR5 comes with a screw in mount (with a ball joint) that allows the camera to be pointed numerous ways.
The front of the camera screws off revealing a front and back. The battery compartment fits neatly into the back of the camera. There is a cloth pull tab to remove the battery compartment. We have found this doesn't work nearly as well as forcefully slapping the compartment against your off-hand. The batteries are very snug and tough to remove without the help of a small screwdriver or a key. All three components have specific positions they must be in to fit together properly.
Setup is done entirely with the Reconyx app on your phone. This can be found in the app store of your iPhone or on Google Play on your Android. Remember, this camera requires the app to operate - there is not an internal setup screen. Once you have the App going, search for the camera. If the camera is nearby, the app will quickly find the camera and will run you through a quick setup guide (extremely handy for first-time users). After this is over, you are ready to get the camera set to your specifications.
Setup couldn't be easier, simply select a setting and change it to your liking. Time and date automatically correlate to your phone's settings. We found all our favorite settings, including; start/stop time, PIR sensitivity and password protection. When you are ready to put the camera to work, just select "Arm Camera." This will also happen automatically after 2 minutes (as long as you don't have the codeloc on).
How to download photos and videos
Simply walk within 50-100 ft. of the camera, connect to the MR5, and select "Download Pics." You will be prompted to switch your wifi over to the camera's wifi connection. After you have done that, go back to the camera and download the pictures. These pictures and videos can easily be saved, texted, shared to social media, and passed around the office for bragging rights.
Not only is the setup incredibly easy, intuitive, and progressive; but it renders the camera useless to a potential thief. If they steal the camera and you have given the camera a Codeloc (4 digit password), they can't login to the camera, arm the camera, or change settings.
This wireless transfer of images is ideal for these scenarios:
- Mount the camera high in a tree or structure, pointed down and check pictures just by standing nearby.
- Place the camera in a sensitive wildlife area and access the photos without walking all the way to the camera.
- Use the camera for security in a home or business and check photos/change settings from your phone.
Durability on Reconyx trail cameras is un-matched. These cameras are engineered and produced in Holmen, Wisconsin by some of the brightest minds in the business.
There are obvious trade-offs to both the unique camera shape and only using a phone to program the MR5. However, if you are proficient with a smartphone and the shape of the camera works for your scenario, we believe you will find the quality of design near-flawless.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.22 s. / 1.9 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.29 s. / 6.8 s. | Detection Range: 50 ft.
Picture trigger and recovery speeds are outstanding. This camera can catch even the fastest animal. Video trigger is extremely impressive but the video recovery time is sluggish.
Detection range has been 50 ft. This is 10 ft. shorter than other Reconyx models tested at this year. The detection zone is slightly wider than the field of view, but not by much.
Overall, this detection circuit is faster than the Reconyx Ultrafire models but does not recover in picture mode as fast as the Hyperfire trail cameras.
Photo resolution: 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1080 x 720 w/ audio | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
We are in the process of placing cameras in the field. We will post samples when they become available.
Resting Power (on): 2.62 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 1.33 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 3.54 Ws
The Microfire MR5 is very efficient. Keep in mind, this camera is achieving the ranking while only using 6 AA batteries.
If this camera were to take 35-day pictures and 35-night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 6.8 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- Wifi enabled image transfer up to 100 feet.
- Requires a Micro-SD card (we give you one for free if purchased from Trailcampro)
- GEN2 NoGlow Covert Infrared Illumination up to 50 feet
- 0.2 Second Trigger Speed.
- Universal Camera Mount included.
- 720P HD Video with Audio.
- External Power Connection included.
- Operating Temperature -20 to 120 Fahrenheit.
- BuckView Mobile App included.
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Reconyx MR5 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the MR5 Wifi Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Micro SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free Micro-SD with the MR5.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.