TCP Rating: In progress
- The Ultrafire XS8 is a brand new video security trail camera from Reconyx. The XS8 features "dynamic video," which records video as long as there is motion in front of the camera. The video automatically pauses after 3 seconds of inactivity. Once movement is detected again, recording continues. - TCP Staff
Reconyx Ultrafire XS8 Review
Model # XS8 | Reconyx XS8 Owners Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- Large, easy to read internal viewer
- Incredible video quality
- Slow picture trigger speed
- Batteries can be tricky to load
The Reconyx XS8 is the security camera version of the popular XR6. The biggest difference between the two cameras is the XS8 comes with more programming options, aimed specifically for security surveillance.
Dimensions: 4.5" x 3.5" x 3.25" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: None
Case design on the XS8 is identical to the XR6 so you will see many similarities here. The front face of the XS8 is actually smaller than previous Reconyx models by one inch in both height and width. The depth of the case is a bit thicker.
There is a 1/4 x 20 threaded insert on the back of the camera for a Slate River Mount. Most cameras have a bracket for a Python Cable Lock, however, Reconyx takes it a step further and has two mounts. One of the holes locks the camera to the tree but the inside of the camera can still be opened without taking the lock off. The second hole locks both the camera to the tree and the case shut. This is a pretty handy feature that is unique to Reconyx.
After years of complaining about the on/off switch that Primos cameras use, it is only fair to point out the XS8 is using the identical system. Instead of a simple on/off toggle switch like previous Reconyx models utilize, the XS8 has an on/off button. After the camera has been running for a while, you have to turn the power button on, wait for the screen to light up, and then turn it off again.
Programming the camera is exactly what we want. The programming is as simple or complex as you like. The large, ample viewing screen makes both programming and picture review very easy. You can view both pictures and videos the camera has taken on the screen, including the audio from the videos.
The XS8 gives you the option of start/stop time, by hours and day of the week. This means you could have the camera on at specific times of the day Monday through Friday, but all day on Saturday and Sunday. Very handy feature for business owners.
Many of the early bugs we discovered on the XR6 cameras have been fixed long before the XS8 became available for sale. This means this camera comes bug-free. Reliability is outstanding.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.05 s. / 3.2 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.04 s. / 3.6 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft.
The 1.05-second picture trigger speed was not what we expected when we started the Reconyx XS8 Review. The camera recovers after taking a photo in 3.2 seconds, and while that is plenty fast for most animals, that is not what we would call "Reconyx fast."
Video trigger time is 1.04 s., which is actually quite fast compared to other trail cameras.
The detection zone is very typical from what we have seen in past Reconyx models. Detection range is right around 60 ft. and the detection width closely mimics the field of view.
Overall, the detection circuit is hampered by the slow trigger time which brings down the overall rating.
Photo resolution: 8, 5, 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1080 p HD w/ audio | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
Reconyx XS8 picture and video quality are still being evaluated. We will share what we have so far, but we are not ready to give a rating.
Resting Power (on): 0.18 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.98 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 5.99 Ws
The resting power is incredible. This camera barely uses a trickle of energy as it sits waiting for activity. The day and night consumptions improved dramatically from the XR6's data. This camera is very efficient.
The camera operates on 12 AA batteries and it is recommended you use either NiMH rechargeable or lithium batteries only. No alkaline batteries.
If this camera were to take 35-day pictures and 35-night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 17.1 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. That is outstanding.
The battery compartment stacks the batteries in there pretty tight and they can be tough to load. Be sure to look at which battery post is positive and which is negative before loading as they are easy to confuse.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
- No glow IR flash
- 8 mpxl interpolated photos
- 1920 x 1080 HD videos w/ audio
- 1-10 multi-shot burst
- 10,20, or 30 s. video clips
- Time-lapse settings: 1,5,15,30,60 min.
- Start/Stop Time: Yes - set start/stop time by custom day of week
- Photo stamp: Date, time temperature, and moon phase
- Picture + Video mode: Yes
- Temperature range: -20° - 120° F.
- Field of view: 45.5°
- Password protection: Yes
- SD card overwrite: Yes
- PIR Settings: Low, Med, or High
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Reconyx XS8 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the XS8.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The XS8 has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the XS8, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.