Reconyx Hyperfire HC600
- TCP Rating: 90/100
- Made in the U.S.A., the HC600 combines no glow infrared, with incredible detection capabilities, easy setup and long term durability. It may cost a small fortune, but this camera will still be working when everything else has hit the landfill. - TCP Staff
Reconyx HyperFire HC600 Review
Model # HC600 | Reconyx HC600 Owners Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- Fast recovery time
- Long battery life
- Easy setup
- Durability is best in class
- ?No video capability
- Lack of flash range on night photos
? We have been reviewing and using Reconyx game cameras for many years now. Their attention to detail, incredible speed, picture quality and durability have rightfully placed Reconyx at the top of the trail camera mountain.
When you buy a Reconyx, you are getting an American made manufacturing marvel. Just hold the camera and you can instantly tell this was made by folks who take great pride in their work.
We have an old Reconyx RM45 that has been on a farm in northern Missouri for ten years now. It works as well today as it did when we first set it out. Don't let the sticker shock of a Reconyx camera scare you away, these cameras are built to last.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4.5" x 3" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: None
The camera is very small. It measures in at 5.5" x 4.5" x 3." As soon as you start the camera up for the first time, you realize this isn't your same-old game camera. This is the real-deal. Instantly, it asks for the year, date, time, what type of batteries you are using and so on. All this information is then saved.
The buttons are crisp and you immediately realize the quality in your hands. The clamps on the camera are strong and snap loudly, letting you know the camera is securely shut.
Two negative items knock the quality of design rating. The camera does not take videos, only pictures. Also, the battery meter does not accurately measure all types of batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.28 s. / 0.9 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: None | Detection Range: 80 ft
With a 0.28 second trigger speed (about the time it takes you to blink), you won't miss a thing. Even better, the recovery time (time between first and second picture) is nearly instant. You get roughly 1 picture per second if there is movement in front of the camera.
This is one of the fastest detection circuits on the market. Since this Reconyx camera does not take videos, we could not calculate a video trigger or recovery time into the rankings.
The detection zone perfectly matches the field of view (very rare for any camera to do this). The detection range consistently hits 70 ft., which is in the upper echelon of cameras, but not the very top.
Photo resolution: 3.1 mpxl | Video Resolution: None | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
The difference from the HC500 to the Reconyx HC600 is the type of glow produced from the infrared emitters. The HC600 is completely covert, you will not see a red glow. The HC500 produces a faint red-glow that is visible really only when looking directly at the camera or close by.
The day pictures are crystal clear, with almost no blurring. The colors are rich and vibrant and rank among the best on the market.
Most companies these days advertise high megapixel ratings on their cameras. Their high mpxl ratings are actually interpolated images, which is taken from a smaller mpxl camera but enlarged. Reconyx takes 3.1 mpxl photos, from an actual 3.1 mpxl camera.
The night pictures don't have a big flash and do have some graininess. If you were to compare the Reconyx HC500 night pictures to the HC600 pictures you would notice that the HC600's pictures are noticeably grainy at night. This is to be expected from a no glow infrared camera trap.
Resting Power (on): 1.44 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 1.12 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 3.50 Ws
The HC600 uses 12 AA batteries. The HC600 has an extremely low resting current draw and a low current draw while taking a photo both during the day and night. This is truly impressive data and speaks volumes to the quality of the product.
Reconyx cameras work perfectly with the Tenergy Nimh Rechargeable Batteries. We like these batteries for the cost savings. We have noticed as of the summer of 2012 that the battery meter on the Reconyx cameras has been spotty and incorrect quite often. It has been giving incorrect readings.
Lithium batteries will give you the longest battery life and the best night picture quality. If this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, this camera could last an unbelievable 18.9 months in the field (with lithiums).
Reconyx HC600 Conclusion: 90/100
The HC600 is manufactured in Holmen, Wisconsin and their attention to detail is world-class.
Want the best trail camera ever made? Look no further. We promise you will instantly be hooked. This is a camera trap enthusiasts dream come true.
Enjoy our Reconyx HC600 reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
- No glow IR flash
- 3.1 mpxl pictures
- No video
- Time Lapse: 1, 5, 15, 30 or 60 minute settings
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature, and moon phase
- Picture + Video: No
- Temperature Range: -20° - 120° F.
- Field of View: 42°
- Start/stop time: No
- Password protection: Yes
- SD Card Overwrite: No
- PIR Settings: Low, Med, or High
- Flash Settings: High Quality, fast shutter, max range
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90 day return policy and our exclusive 2 year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Reconyx HC600 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the HC600.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The HC600 has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the HC600, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.