Spypoint Link-S (Verizon)
Looking for the best place to buy a Spypoint Link-S?
We have cultivated a loyal customer following by focusing on what's important... You! We dedicate countless hours testing & reviewing trail cameras to provide you with the most complete and accurate game camera reviews. Here are a few of the reasons we are confident you will be a happy lifelong customer:
Spypoint Link-S Review
The Link-S receives very high marks in speed, battery life, and user-friendliness. The night pictures have seen an impressive boost in 2018. -TCP Staff
Model # Link-S-V
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:5.4 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:95/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:92/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Built-in solar panel extends battery life well beyond what we can calculate
- Incredibly fast trigger speed
- Free data plan from Spypoint (up to 100 pictures per month)
- Very easy setup process
- Whiteout on close object when Flash is in IR Boost Mode
- Does not send video
This is a cellular trail camera that works on Verizon towers. The pictures can be retrieved by a smartphone using the Spypoint app or by connecting to myspypoint.com. You do NOT need a Verizon cell phone, any carrier's phone would work for retrieval. It is only important that the Link-S Verizon has 3 or more bars of Verizon reception.
If you have less than 3 bars of reception, we have had good luck with the Spypoint Booster Antenna. It currently enables a Spypoint Link camera to send in an area with 1 bar of reception. That does not mean it will work like that everywhere, but it certainly helps.
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl (interpolated)
Flash Type: Red Glow IR
Link-S daytime picture quality possesses bright color, decent clarity and plenty of depth. We have used them in a wide variety of conditions with solid results.
Night pictures have seen big improvements to flash range in 2018. Your night picture quality will vary based on the IR mode you set the camera in. The Link-S has three modes in the settings that control night image quality:
- IR Boost - Max flash range but a higher frequency of blurry images & whiteout on close animals
- Blur Reduction - Less flash range, but better clarity on moving animals
- Optimal - This is a compromise between the two modes above.
Overall, the night photos are a welcome improvement. We consider the Link-S night photos to be pretty good. Also, the pictures sent to the app are highly compressed and not full resolution. The full resolution pictures are stored to the SD card. The following images are full resolution.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.03 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 34.6 Ws | 39.31 Ws
The camera operates on 8 AA batteries. We only recommend lithium batteries for this camera, as they deliver a high and consistent voltage that alkaline and nimh rechargeable batteries simply can't maintain.
The battery consumption on the Link-S is very efficient.
If this camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 5.4 months on a set of lithium batteries. Keep in mind, this camera is accomplishing 5.4 months of battery life on 8 AA batteries rather than the typical 12 AA batteries all other cellular trailcams use.
We have calculated the battery life based on an 8 pack of Lithium AA batteries plus the 4000 mAh internal battery pack (that you charge upon receiving the camera). We would like to incorporate calculations for runtime including the solar panel charging the battery pack but there are too many variables at this time. Even though we don't have data to publish on this, expect runtime to be significantly better than 5+ months with the solar panel collecting light. This rating does not accurately reflect what the solar panel is capable of.
Rechargeable Battery Option
If you would like to utilize rechargeable batteries, we have had great luck with the Spypoint Rechargeable Lithium Battery Pack and Charger. You will get around 1.5 months with it (with the above formula), but you can continue recharging it. If you have two of them per camera you can always have one charged and ready to go - costing you more up front, but less over several years.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.06 s. | 32.1 s.
Detection Range: 120 ft. (maximum)
Trigger speed is best in class and the Link-S recovers faster than nearly any other cell camera on the market.
Detection range is 120 ft. (max), which puts it at the top of its class. Overall, this is an outstanding detection circuit for a cellular trail camera.
Dimensions: 7.25" x 5" x 3.75"
Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
The Link-S case design is similar to previous Spypoint Solar cameras with a few notable improvements. The latch has been beefed up and is now one-piece construction. It opens and closes easily. The battery compartment on the back has an eject button that pops the cover open.
This camera has a built-in python bracket on the back of the camera and a 1/4" x 20 threaded slot on the bottom for a Slate River Mount. This camera has an internal screen for setup and for reviewing pictures. You can also do both of these functions via the Spypoint app on your phone.
The Solar panel is a welcome addition to any cellular camera. The big advantage here is you won't have to search for a compatible solar panel and there are no cables for a squirrel to choose from. In fact, just charge the camera in your computer for 48 hours before placing it in the field and the camera will do the rest of the work.
Overall, the case design is very solid. The antenna seems a little flimsy, but we will keep an eye on it and if anything arises we will update this review.
Setup for the Link-S
Camera settings can be done from the camera but you will need to set up the cell options on your phone. Because of that, we would just recommend doing both camera and cell set up on the app. In the past, cell cameras have developed a reputation for being clumsy and finicky during this process. The Link-S couldn't be easier to setup, even for the folks that aren't "techie."
After you have turned the camera on and loaded the app to your phone, simply follow the instructions on the app. You will need to set up an account and connect your new camera to the app. This takes no time at all. From there, you can select the camera settings, check battery status/cell reception, sd card storage, and view the pictures the camera has taken. The sim card comes with the camera and is located in the battery compartment. You can find the sim card number in the general settings ("About this Device"). You can manually type it into the app or scan it with your phone.
For setting options, the Link-S is one of the few cellular cameras that can be programmed to be on or off on certain days of the week. For instance, you can have the camera on from 5 pm to 8 am Mon-Fri., but on 24 hours a day during the weekend. This is an underrated feature.
This camera does not have an option to send a photo on command but you can set the frequency it connects to the network checking for other setting changes. The app is very easy to navigate and will not leave you confused.
This app is where you will set your data plan, your first month is unlimited photos for free. We LOVE the fact that Spypoint offers a free data plan (100 pictures a month), so you can run the camera for no cost, year-round. If you need more than 100 pictures a month, here are the costs of the other data plan options:
- Free plan = 100 photos/month (photos saved for 7 days)
- $5 per month (annual) = 250 photos/month (photos saved for 7 days)
- $15 per month (annual) = unlimited photos/month (unlimited photo saving)
- $25 per month (3 months) = unlimited photos/month (unlimited photo saving)
Viewing pictures is super easy. You can scroll left or right on the images and they react instantly. Overall, setup on the Link-S couldn't be easier even if you don't consider yourself the most technologically advanced person in the world.
Durability has been impressive. In the last 12 months, Spypoint has had our third lowest warranty rate. We will update this review if anything changes.
The Link-S receives very high marks in speed, battery life, picture quality, and user-friendliness. The improvements in night picture quality have made a remarkable difference in this camera.
Overall, we really like this camera. It took us very little time to setup and the solar panel can keep the camera running for months on end. We believe you will love this little cell camera.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. This camera has an internal viewer you can see the pictures on and it sends the photos to the Spypoint app. Here are some other ways to view the photos.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: Yes. This is a red glow trail camera, meaning it has a faint red glow when taking pictures or videos at night. Humans and animals can see this if looking at the camera. This does not "light up" the woods, though.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you a 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- Verizon Cellular camera
- 41.3° field of view
- Red glow IR (very faint)
- 12 interpolated mpxl photos
- 2" internal picture viewer
- Date, time, moon phase, and temperature stamp on photos
- Time-lapse mode
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
- Requires 8 AA Lithium Batteries
- Optional accessories include Security Case, Python Cable Lock, and Rechargeable Battery Pack
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Spypoint Link-S Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this to boost the signal for your Spypoint Link camera. We have found it works really well and is sending pictures for us in an area with only 1 bar of reception.
- This is a rechargeable lithium battery pack with AC charger. It fits in the battery pack compartment and lasts 1-2 months under normal circumstances.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Link-S has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Link-S, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.