Original Price: $499.95Sale Price:329.95
Stealth Cam GXW - Wireless
2017 Stealth Cam GXW Wireless Review
Model # STC-GX45NGW
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:2.2 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:85/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:91/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Option to send videos as well as pictures
- Excellent trigger speed
- Easy, intuitive setup
- Exceptional daytime photos
- Average battery life (2.2 months on AA lithium batteries)
Finally, a cellular scouting camera capable of sending videos AND pictures! This is the first trail camera of its kind and has generated some excited here in the Trailcampro office.
The Stealth Cam GXW Wireless works on any GSM tower, this includes AT&T and T-Mobile towers - we recommend a minimum of 3 bars of reception. The camera needs a sim card from AT&T. We will talk more about this in the "Quality of Design" section.
An important early note is this camera is capable of working internationally as long as it has GSM service. We, unfortunately, can't provide much help with the activation of the sim card if you are outside of the United States, as we currently do not have experience using the camera with international carriers. However, it is possible and only requires an activated data-only 3G sim card from your local GSM carrier.
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1920 x 1080 w/audio | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
We used the Stealth GXW to monitor a gate to a farm that we run trail cameras on. This ended up being very beneficial for us as we now have evidence of someone coming in at 1 a.m. to steal a bunch of tools and supplies. The camera did the job!
Daytime pictures are incredible. Perfect color, great clarity, and depth. As you can see from the sample below - the GXW did not disappoint.
Night pictures have average range for a no glow camera and they do have some graininess. Keep in mind, we used this camera for security so many of the night pictures involve headlights from cars coming in and out. This camera is not for license plate recognition. For night pictures, we gave the GXW an average rating.
Pictures and videos transmitted to the app with be in a compressed size. Pictures are 640 x 360 and videos are 320 x 180 (you can turn audio on or off). The full-resolution image/video will be saved to the SD card.
Many people believe the mpxl rating manufacturers advertise are an indication of picture quality. They aren't. In fact, they aren't really true. Companies inflate the megapixel rating of their cameras with "interpolation," this digitally adds megapixels. For instance, this camera is rated at 14 megapixels, but this is not a 14 mpxl camera. They interpolate the photos up to 14, from a camera that is way lower in actual megapixels. Most cameras are actually somewhere between 2 and 5 megapixels.
Every company employs this tactic because the average consumer has been tricked to think more mpxls = better pictures. Don't be fooled. Make your next buying decision based on real photos - not marketing gimmicks.
Resting Power (on): 2.89 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 76.3 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 71.18 Ws
If the Stealth GXW Wireless were to take 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 2.2 months in the field on a set of 12 AA lithium batteries.
Keep in mind, cellular scouting cameras use more power as they are taking a photo, connecting to a cellular network, and then sending a photo. The GXW can be set to send photos in "Batch" mode. Batch mode will upload photos at predetermined time intervals, which saves battery life and improves recovery time. This works well for wildlife use but isn't recommended for most security applications - as instant notification is usually needed.
If you plan on using this camera in video mode, prepare for major battery consumption. In order to take and send a 10-second video, the camera will have to pull a lot of power. This is expected and neither a positive or negative on the GXW.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.25 s. / 59.7 s. | Detection Range: 90 ft.
Trigger speed is outstanding and at the very top-end of all cellular scouting cameras. In multiple tests, the trigger was extremely consistent and reliable. Recovery time is also in-line with other cell cameras.
Detection range was 90 ft. in our Detection Range Test. This is a very good detection range. We found the detection zone is significantly wider than the field of view, so keep that in mind when setting the camera up.
Overall, the detection circuit on the Stealth GXW is a huge plus and ranks very well for a cellular trail camera.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4" x 2.5" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
Case design is outstanding from form to function. The case feels well-built and of high-quality materials. The latch has a very positive and snug "snap" when closing.
Cellular camera setup is normally a chore, but we have found the GXW setup to be very intuitive (and it comes with clear directions). This camera needs 3 bars of AT&T or T-Mobile reception. It will not run on Verizon or Sprint towers. Below are the data plan costs.
- 250 MB of data for 24 hours - $5.00
- 250 MB of data for 30 days - $14.99
- 2 GB of data for 3 months - $25.00 (in our opinion this is the best value for picture taking)
- 3 GB of data for 30 days - $30.00
- 5 GB of data for 30 days - $50.00
The only thing we knocked the setup on is that this camera only sends photos to a phone app. It can't text, email, or send photos to a website. As long as that doesn't deter you, this camera shouldn't trip you up. Here is how you can set up the Stealth GXW.
Cellular Setup Directions
- Download the "Stealth Cam Remote" App. This is available on iOS and Android devices. You must have one of these phones for this camera to work.
- Create a new account on the app. A confirmation email will be sent and must be confirmed before going to the next step.
- The camera comes with an AT&T 3G data only sim card. Go to www.att.com/buyasession to activate your sim card and select your desired data plan. For this, you will need to create an account. You can start, stop and change the plan at any time (no contract).
- Install 12 AA lithium batteries, SD card, and sim card.
- Turn the camera on and go into the menu. Follow the prompts for "Cellular Setup." This will display a series of prompts - follow each one and complete setup. You will need good cellular reception (we recommend 3 bars or more) to do the setup.
- At some point, the camera will ask you to enter your account info. This is the account info from when you setup the account on the app on your phone.
Here are some screenshots of several of the app settings.
We have only seen one quirk on the app. Multiple people will have a hard time sharing the app for the same camera. Otherwise, not everyone will see all the pictures/videos the camera has taken. However, there is an option to link the camera with Google Drive. If you plan on having multiple people use the same camera, we highly recommend using Google Drive to share the photos with each other.
Durability is unknown at this time. We will update the Stealth GXW Wireless review if anything arises.
Stealth Cam GXW Wireless Conclusion: 80/100
The GXW doesn't get great battery life but it does have outstanding photos, quick detection, solid case design, and easy programming. We definitely recommend the GXW for both security and wildlife use.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- 12-volt external battery jack
- 12 mpxl photos (interpolated)
- Can send pictures & videos
- iOS & Android App access
- Video recording 10 s. - 180 s.
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- Operates on 12 AA batteries
- Programmable start/stop time
- Transmit instantly, hourly, twice per day, or once per day
- Manually set upload time
- Create and delete galleries on the Stealth Cam Remote app
- Link account to Google Drive
- Change settings on the go via the app
- Night IR settings: Standard or Advanced (reduced blur)
- Operation modes: PIR photo, time lapse, PIR video
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Stealth Cam GXW Wireless Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Stealth Cam Wireless.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The GXW has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.