Buy it with:
Ridgetec Lookout 4G LTE Trail Camera Review
The Ridgetec Lookout takes a bit of work to get set up, however, when it is up and running this is a picture and/or video taking machine. Photos are solid (night pictures are excellent), the camera is fast, detects at long ranges and can run on lithium batteries for 4+ months. Best of all, the Lookout LTE comes with both AT&T and Verizon sim cards, meaning you can choose to run it on whichever networks gets the best reception in your area. We give this camera a big thumbs up. - TCP Staff
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:4.2 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:91/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:90/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Ridgetec Lookout Cellular Trail Camera Review
- This Ridgetec Lookout 4G LTE trail camera comes with a modem that supports both Verizon and AT&T
- Great night pictures for a true no glow camera
- Good battery life (4+ months)
- Fast detection circuit with 100' detection range
- Will send 30-second videos (uses more battery)
- Has been very reliable and durable
- Daytime photos have fairly "drab" color
- Need to have a computer to do the initial setup
The Ridgetec Lookout 4G LTE trail camera is especially unique as it comes with both an AT&T and a Verizon sim card. The Quectel EC25-AF LTE module allows it to work on either network. This means you only activate the sim card (ATT or Verizon) for one of the networks (unless you want to activate both to switch back and forth, which in that case would cost an additional $6/month per camera).
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080
Flash Type: No Glow IR
Day picture display some pixelation in the photos and possess below average color (appears muted or drab) and average clarity. Overall, daytime color pictures are adequate and we consider them to be average.
As you can see from our sample images below, night pictures are excellent when this game trail camera has objects (trees, limbs, brush) to bounce off of. The pictures taken in the woods are some of the best we have seen on cellular cameras. Once the camera was moved to a more open field, graininess and a lack of significant flash range were more evident. This isn't uncommon for a true no glow camera. Overall, we rate the night pictures extremely well (especially for a no glow camera), just be aware that you will get the best results when cameras are placed in a camera trap setup that reflects the infrared light.
Day and night videos are both outstanding. The 1920x1080 video resolution shines through and the night videos are crisp with great clarity. Very impressive.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the Ridgetec Lookout 4G LTE trail camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.96 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 40.94 Ws | 42.34 Ws
If this Ridgetec Lookout 4G LTE trail camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 4.2 months on a set of lithium batteries. This is very good for a cellular trail camera.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.47 s. | 28.0 s.
Video Trigger Speed: 0.92 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 100 ft. @ 40.7° Detection Angle (42.1° Field of View)
The trigger speed is fast and plenty quick enough to catch fast-moving animals. The recovery speed is exceptional for a cellular trail camera.
The detection range is fantastic and even better when matched with a closely aligned field of view and detection angle. Overall, this is an outstanding detection circuit.
Dimensions: 6" x 4.75" x 3"
Battery Type: 12 AA batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt (4.75mm OD, 1.7mm ID)
The Ridgetec Lookout's case design seems to have taken a play out of the Covert/Spartan playbook. They are all roughly the same size and have the same or similar features. The latch is easy to open and manipulate, even with cold fingers. The outside case is a hard plastic and appears to be durable. The setup menu is easy to navigate and you shouldn't have to use the owner's manual very often, if ever.
* When attaching a booster antenna to the Ridgetec Lookout, the antenna should only go on the antenna port closest to the hinges. So, if you are facing the front of the camera, it would be the antenna port on the left-had side. For reception below 3 bars, you will need either the Omni Antenna or the Wilson Antenna.
Install 12 AA Lithium batteries, sd card, sim card (ATT or Verizon, depending on the service you want), and antennas.
- On a browser (mobile or computer), visit portal.ridgetec.com and create an account.
- Add a camera by typing in the ICCID number from your sim card. The portal will indicate that a free month was awarded (5,000 points). At this point, the server will send an activation signal to your sim card (this can take several minutes).
- Power up the camera by turn the switch to SET, wait for a cellular connection. You may have to do this several times (by turning off and back to SET).
- Once connection is established, hit MENU and do a NETWORK TEST and then a REPORT TEST (you will see these in the menu). Your camera should show PASS, which means the camera is ready to send photos.
- Turn the camera to ON to fully activate the camera.
- Download the Ridgetec app to your smartphone and login. You can use either the app or the portal to change settings or view settings.
- If you are using a booster antenna you will need to replace the antenna on the left side if you are facing the camera.
|Monthly Tier*||Data||Price||Add a Camera**|
|1,250 Photos||62.5 MB||$6.95||$6.00|
|2,500 Photos||125 MB||$8.95||$6.00|
|5,000 Photos||250 MB||$11.95||$6.00|
|10,000 Photos||500 MB||$14.95||$6.00|
|20,000 Photos||1 GB||$24.95||$6.00|
|30,000 Photos||1.5 GB||$29.95||$6.00|
|40,000 Photos||2 GB||$34.95||$6.00|
|50,000 Photos||2.5 GB||$39.95||$6.00|
|75,000 Photos||3.75 GB||$59.95||$6.00|
|100,000 Photos||5 GB||$77.95||$6.00|
*1 Photo = 1 Point (Low Resolution)
** Monthly cost per additional camera
Data plan costs appear to be very affordable and offer you the ability to share data over multiple cameras. However, data plan costs aren't super intuitive and are a little complicated. It helps to think in the above chart as pictures being the same thing as points. This then relates directly to the upload resolution that you choose from the below chart.
Point Cost per Upload
|Upload Resolution||Photo Mode||Video Mode|
|High Res Max/HD 1080p||13||11|
We like the ability to choose upload resolution and give that power to the user. It does come at a cost, however, you get to choose whether it is worth it or not.
Overall, setting the camera up is relatively easy. We would like the ability to do the set up via the smartphone app, but for now, you will need to use a browser. We LOVE that Ridgetec included a modem in this camera that allows the user to choose between Verizon or AT&T. This makes the camera much more flexible for you both now and in the future.
Durability has been outstanding so far, we have been extremely impressed in this category. If anything arises, we will update this review immediately.
One reason we think the durability has been so good is that Ridgetec pulls each camera and does a complete quality check on it when before shipping to us. Here are the items checks (manually) before shipping cameras to us:
- Power switch for flaky or failure
- Module using Verizon
- Both antenna ports individually checking for backwards wiring (matters if you buy the omni booster)
- SD Card slot
- Sim Card slot
- LCD Screen
- Day + Color photo
- Night + B&W photo + LED array
- Stuck IR filter (pink photos)
- Read/write to SD card
- Upload 2 photos to the web portal
- Bottom battery tray
- Top battery tray
- External power port
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
The Ridgetec game trail camera Lookout takes a bit of work to get set up, however, when it is up and running this is a picture taking machine. Photos are solid (night pictures are excellent), the camera is fast, detects at long ranges and can run on lithium batteries for 4+ months. Best of all, the Lookout LTE comes with both AT&T and Verizon sim cards, meaning you can choose to run it on whichever networks gets the best reception in your area. We give this camera a big thumbs up.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. Here are some other methods for viewing images:
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.