Covert Black Viper
This is a discontinued model. You can shop new Covert Scouting Cameras here.
Covert Black Viper Review
The Covert Black Viper's slow detection speed and poor night photos keep this from being a higher rated camera. We like the battery life, case design, and night videos; however, at this price point there are higher rated cameras on the market. - TCP Staff
- Surprisingly good night videos
- Outstanding battery life in picture or video mode
- Exceptional case design
- Slow detection circuit
- Grainy, blurry night photos
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1280 x 720 w/ audio
Flash Type: No Glow IR
Day pictures may not "wow" you but they are solid and do the trick. Night pictures leave a bit to be desired. We experienced quite a bit of blur and graininess.
Night videos appear to be quite a bit better than the photos. We captured several really good night videos. Day videos are above average.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.07 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 2.58 Ws | 3.68 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 15.97 Ws | 67.23 Ws
Battery consumption draws are extremely efficient.
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Black Viper would last 11.6 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries. This is absolutely outstanding.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 2.7 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.93 s. / 4.8 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.38 s. / 5.3 s.
Detection Range: 60 ft
This is a very poor detection circuit. Slow trigger and recovery times, combined with an average detection range, equal a poorly rated detection circuit.
Dimensions: 5" x 4" x 2.75"
Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 6-Volt
The case design is small, smooth, sturdy and minimalist. The latch is big, strong, and works perfectly. The battery compartment is particularly impressive as the batteries load, unload, and reliably stay in place.
The Black Viper has a bracket on the back for the Python cable lock and an insert on the bottom for a Slate River Angle Mount.
Overall, we LOVE the case design. If we were to be picky, the setup screen is a little small but that is really nothing to concern yourself with.
Programming the camera is quick and easy. It surprising has start/stop time, SD card overwrite, PIR sensitivity.
We have had no reason to worry about durability, if something arises, we will update the Covert Black Viper review.
The Covert Black Viper's slow detection speed and poor night photos keep this from being a higher rated camera. We like the battery life, case design, and night videos; however, at this price point there are higher rated cameras on the market.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Covert Black Viper Scouting Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect (that is where the 940 comes from in the Dark Ops name). It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- No glow infrared flash
- 6-Volt external battery jack
- 12 interpolated mpxl photos
- 1280 x 720 video resolution w/ audio
- 41.4-degree field of view
- 1-10 turbo shot burst mode
- Programmable start/stop time
- Time, date, temperature, and moon phase on time stamp
- 1.5" color internal viewer
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- Requires up to 8 AA batteries
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Black Viper has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Black Viper, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.