All cameras backed by the industry’s
You must love your new camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house.
Moultrie S-50i Review
The S-50i excels in many areas (picture/video quality, detection speed, setup) but has a flaw that is hard to overlook... You will end up spending a lot of money on batteries. - TCP Staff
Model # MCG-13183
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
- Outstanding image quality
- Fast picture detection and 80 ft. detection range
- Good case design and easy setup options
- Poor battery life even though it uses 12 AA batteries
- Slowish video detection
Photo resolution: 20 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 w/ audio
Flash Type: Low glow IR
Picture quality is very strong. Day pictures have beautiful color, good clarity, realistic depth, and stops motion very well. These are among the better day pictures we have seen all year.
Night pictures have even flash distribution, perfect clarity, self-adjusting flash, and good flash range. Overall, Moultrie did an outstanding job with the picture quality on the S-50i.
Video quality mimics picture quality. Very good overall.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 2.85 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.33 Ws | 9.94 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 16.3 Ws | 200.58 Ws
This camera uses 12 AA batteries in series. The power consumption is very high, producing poor results in battery life.
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the 2017 S-50i would last 5.7 months in the field on a set of 12 AA Lithium Batteries. This is very poor for a non-cellular trailcam that uses 12 AA batteries.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.5 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is an inefficient video camera.
Whether in picture or video mode, the S-50i burns through batteries too quickly and would be expensive to continuously replace 12 Lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.31 s. / 1.1 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.77 s. / 2.6 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 80 ft. | 24.9° (34.1° F.O.V.)
Picture trigger and recovery times are both very fast. Video trigger is slow but recovery is well above average.
In our testing, the S-50i detected out to 80 ft. Overall, this is a solid detection zone.
Dimensions: 5" x 4.5" x 3"
Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
The Moultrie S50i is a wide camera and is larger than most modern cameras. The plastic molding is thick and feels sturdy. The latch is unorthodox and feels flimsy, but probably is more durable than it looks. It is easy to manipulate and we've had no problems with it.
The camera has a python bracket on the front and back of the camera, we like the ability to lock the sd card in the camera with a python bracket on the front. The threaded Slate River Angle Mount insert is located on the bottom of the camera. The battery tray removes easily and the batteries load and unload easily.
Setting the camera up is relatively easy and is helped by the nice internal view screen. Popular settings include:
- Security Code
- SD Card Overwrite
- IR Shutter Adjustment (Motion Freeze)
- Hybrid Mode (Photo + Video on each detection)
- PIR sensitivity
The internal viewer allows for easy picture and video playback. It is especially handy as a live preview to make sure the camera is angled properly.
Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but Moultrie game cameras were one of our most durable cameras the last two years. This is a new model, so we will continue to keep an eye on this going forward. If an issue arises, we will update this Moultrie S-50i Review immediately.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Moultrie S-50i Game Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. The S-50i has an internal picture viewer for viewing pics/vids in the field.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- Low glow IR flash
- 20 interpolated mpxl photos
- 1920 x 1080 video with audio
- Time, date, temperature, moon phase, barometric pressure, and camera ID on time stamp
- 1-3 photos per trigger
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- SD card overwrite
- Password protected
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Moultrie S50i Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the S50i.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The S-50i has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the S-50i, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.