Stealth Cam WXV Review
The solid picture quality is not enough to overcome such a poor detection circuit and below average battery life. The WXV does seem to reliably send photos, but the battery life and detection circuit are both well under average. The WXV is also relatively complex to setup compared to other cameras on the market. - TCP Staff
Model # STC-GXVRW | Stealth WXV Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:1.2 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:67/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:80/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Above average to solid picture quality
- Can take and send videos
- To date, has been reliably sending cellular transmissions
- Poor battery life
- Below average detection circuit
- Long, complicated cellular set up process
The Stealth Cam WXV is a Verizon cellular trail camera.
Photo resolution: 22 mpxls (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080
Flash Type: No Glow IR
The Spartan Cam WXV Verizon trail camera has solid picture quality during the daytime hours. The color is realistic (a little lighter at times ,though), the clarity is sharp, and the depth of image is solid. Night pictures have limited flash range and are a little grainy. However, they are fairly average for a no glow camera overall.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the WXV trail camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a STC-GXVRW camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal and to be expected of a WXV trail camera.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 2.46 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 118.4 Ws | 121.0 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 226.6 Ws | 382.1 Ws
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, the Stealth Cam WXV would last 1.2 months in the field on a set of 12 AA Lithium Batteries.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 0.6 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.37 s. | 71.5 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 60 ft. | 50.5° Detection Angle (F.O.V. 42.6°)
Trigger speed is pretty good and recovery is a touch under average. The detection zone is well below average. Overall, this detection circuit is not up to par with other cell cameras on the market.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4" x 2.5"
Battery Type: 12 AA (lithium)
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
Case design is outstanding from form to function. The case feels well-built and of high-quality materials. The latch has a very positive and snug "snap" when closing.
The buttons on the setup are easy to navigate and straight-forward. However, the cellular set up is a time-consuming, overly complicated mess. Read below for full instructions.
- Download the Stealth Cam Remote App on your smartphone
- Open the app and select "Sign Up with Email." Choose username and password (verify them in your email).
- Set up your Verizon Data Plan. You will need to go to http://secure.stealthcamwireless.com . You will need the following:
- Email address
- Credit Card
- Billing Address
- IMEI number of the camera (switch the camera to test mode and wait for it to display IMEI number). SIM number from the included Verizon SIM card (Be sure to enter these in the My Services and Equipment" section after you have created the account. It is not intuitive to do but must be done before continuing).
Data Plan Costs:
Plan Data Estimated Images or Videos Price Basic 100MB 1,250 images or 60 videos/month $12.99 Scout 500MB 6,250 images or 300 videos/month $19.99 Guide 1 GB 12,500 images or 600 videos/month $29.99 Professional 5 GB 62,500 images or 3,000 videos/month $59.99
To complete setup:
- Insert batteries, SD card, and included sim card. Turn the camera on and wait for the screen to boot up.
- Once the camera is on, press MENU > DOWN ARROW to CELLULAR SETTINGS > ENTER into the CELLULAR WIZARD > ENTER twice to begin the wizard. It will then take several minutes to Initialize the Network. When we did this it took almost 10 minutes to find it.
- Enter the same user name and password you created when you set up your Stealth Cam Remote App account. You should then see "Account Found." This alone takes far too long as you have to type in your account email and password with the up and down keys.
- Log in to the Stealth Cam app, swipe down and your WXV should appear. The default upload frequency is set to twice a day, change this to Instant (in the cellular settings section of the menu). This will allow you to get test photos immediately to ensure the system is operating correctly. You can change the frequency once you know it is working.
- Make sure you turn on cellular send in the settings.
To put it bluntly, the cellular setup is a pain in the butt, especially compared to several cameras on the market that allow you to just scan a bar code and, voila, the setup is done. In total, this setup has taken us about 45 minutes on average each time we have done it. If you aren't tech savvy, you should avoid this camera for this reason alone.
The solid picture quality is not enough to overcome such a poor detection circuit and below average battery life. The WXV does seem to reliably send photos, but the battery life and detection circuit are both well under average.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
The solid picture quality is not enough to overcome such a poor detection circuit and below average battery life. The WXV does seem to reliably send photos, but the battery life and detection circuit are both well under average. The WXV is also relatively complex to setup compared to other cameras on the market.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Stealth Cam WXV Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. Here are some other methods for viewing images:
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you a 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- No glow infrared flash
- Verizon 4G cellular trail camera
- 22 interpolated mpxls
- 1920 x 1080 video resolution
- Capable of sending pictures and videos to the Stealth Cam smartphone app
- Time, date, moon phase, temperature, and name stamp on each photo
- Password protection
- Programmable start/stop time
- Operates on 12 AA batteries (lithium)
- Stealth Cam claims this camera works in US/Canada/Mexico
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Domestic Shipping Options
- Free 2-Day Shipping on all orders over $99 to U.S. addresses
- Free shipping will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the trail camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability, and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The M8000 has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the M8000, but most people use two cards. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.