Reconyx Ultrafire XS8 Review
Special order contact us.
- The Ultrafire XS8 is a video security trail camera from Reconyx. The XS8 features "dynamic video," which records video as long as there is motion in front of the camera. The video automatically pauses after 3 seconds of inactivity. Once movement is detected again, recording continues. - TCP Staff
Model # XS8 | Reconyx XS8 Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:17.1 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:73/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:92/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Reconyx Ultrafire XS8 Trail Camera Review
- Exceptionally long battery life
- Excellent video quality
- Decent video detection capabilities
- Large, easy to read internal viewer
- Slow picture trigger speed
- Batteries can be tricky to load
The Reconyx XS8 is the video security trail camera version of the popular XR6. The biggest difference between the two cameras is the XS8 comes with more programming options, aimed specifically for security surveillance.
Photo resolution: 8, 5, 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1080 p HD w/ audio | Flash Type: Low Glow Infrared
Reconyx XS8 video trail camera's picture and video quality are identical to the Reconyx XR6. Daytime pictures are excellent and offer robust color, clarity and depth.
This is a low glow security game trail camera (no visible light emitted at night) and this usually means a sacrifice in flash range. That isn't really the case here. Night picture and videos both produce excellent flash range and clarity.
Video quality is undoubtedly the calling card of the XS8. Daytime videos are the best we have seen and night videos are exactly what you would want from a security camera. Video Quality is outstanding. Check out our other Reconyx cameras for sale to find one that suits your needs!
Resting Power (on): 0.18 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.98 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 5.99 Ws
The resting power is incredible. This camera barely uses a trickle of energy as it sits waiting for activity. The day and night consumptions improved dramatically from the XR6's data. This camera is very efficient.
The Reconyx XS8 video trail camera operates on 12 AA batteries and it is recommended you use either NiMH rechargeable or lithium batteries only. No alkaline batteries.
If this camera were to take 35-day pictures and 35-night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 17.1 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. That is outstanding.
The battery compartment stacks the batteries in there pretty tight and they can be tough to load. Be sure to look at which battery post is positive and which is negative before loading as they are easy to confuse.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.05 s. / 3.2 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.04 s. / 3.6 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft.
The 1.05-second picture trigger speed was not what we expected when we started the Reconyx XS8 Review. The camera recovers after taking a photo in 3.2 seconds, and while that is plenty fast for most animals, that is not what we would call "Reconyx fast."
Video trigger time is 1.04 s., which is actually quite fast compared to other trail cameras.
The detection zone is very typical from what we have seen in past Reconyx models. Detection range is right around 60 ft. and the detection width closely mimics the field of view.
Overall, the detection circuit is hampered by the slow trigger time which brings down the overall rating.
Dimensions: 4.5" x 3.5" x 3.25" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: None
Case design on the XS8 is identical to the XR6 so you will see many similarities here. The front face of the XS8 is actually smaller than previous Reconyx models by one inch in both height and width. The depth of the case is a bit thicker.
There is a 1/4 x 20 threaded insert on the back of the camera for a Slate River Mount. Most cameras have a bracket for a Python Cable Lock, however, Reconyx takes it a step further and has two mounts. One of the holes locks the camera to the tree but the inside of the camera can still be opened without taking the lock off. The second hole locks both the camera to the tree and the case shut. This is a pretty handy feature that is unique to Reconyx.
After years of complaining about the on/off switch that Primos cameras use, it is only fair to point out the XS8 is using the identical system. Instead of a simple on/off toggle switch like previous Reconyx models utilize, the XS8 has an on/off button. After the camera has been running for a while, you have to turn the power button on, wait for the screen to light up, and then turn it off again.
Programming the camera is exactly what we want. The programming is as simple or complex as you like. The large, ample viewing screen makes both programming and picture review very easy. You can view both pictures and videos the camera has taken on the screen, including the audio from the videos.
The XS8 game trail camera gives you the option of start/stop time, by hours and day of the week. This means you could have the camera on at specific times of the day Monday through Friday, but all day on Saturday and Sunday. Very handy feature for business owners.
Many of the early bugs we discovered on the XR6 cameras have been fixed long before the XS8 became available for sale. This means this camera comes bug-free. Reliability is outstanding.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.