Snyper Commander 4G/LTE Review
The Snyper Commander is a cellular trail camera that operates on any cell tower in the US and Canada. The Commander takes really good photos, gets 3.8 months of battery life, but does not have two-way communication. Overall, this is a solid cellular trail camera for 2021. - TCP Staff
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:3.8 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:80/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:78/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Snyper Commander 4G LTE Trail Camera Review
- Really solid picture quality
- Works on any carrier in the US or Canada
- 3.8 months of battery life
- There is no two-way communication. You can't change the camera's settings from the app
- Lengthy set up process
The Snyper Commander is a no glow 4G/LTE cellular trail camera that is capable of working on any carrier in the US or Canada using a Sim Hero sim card.
Photo resolution:12 interpolated mpxl (5 native mpxl)
Flash Type: No Glow IR
Picture quality seems to be a real strength of the Snyper Commander 4G/LTE cellular trail camera. As you can see from the sample photos, it takes really good daytime photos, with realistic color and good clarity. For a no glow cellular camera, night photos are fairly well illuminated and it stops motion well, if there isn't excessive motion. Overall, we really like the picture quality of the Snyper Commander 4G/LTE cellular trail camera.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the Snyper Commander 4G/LTE cellular trail camera. If so, we will warranty the Snyper cellular trail camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
Night IR Blur Test
The equipment for the test consists of a target moving along a track from left to right at a constant speed controlled by a stepper motor and a sensor to trigger the capture of a picture near the center of the field of view of a trail camera.
The target is moving at 1.25 feet per second and is 10 feet from the camera at the center of field of view. The test is conducted in a dark room. Two pictures are taken, one with the target not moving and one with the target in motion. A visual comparison can now be made of the two pictures. All settings that affect the quality of night photos will be tested.
|No Motion||W/ Motion|
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.16mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 53.7Ws | 54.3Ws
If this 00045 model camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 3.8 months on a set of lithium batteries
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.45 s. | 37.5 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.76 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 70 ft. @ 44.4° detection angle (38.6° field of view)
The Commander triggers fairly quickly and recovers in 37 seconds. Video trigger speed is 0.76 seconds, which is average. The detection angle is slightly wider than the field of view, which will result in a few false triggers. We are still testing detection range at this time.
Dimensions: 5.75" x 4.75" x 3"
Battery Type: 12 AA
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
The Snyper Commander's case appears to be well-built and durable. The latch is oversized and is easy to open and close. The camera has brackets for a python cable lock and two 1/4" x 20 threaded inserts (one on the back and one on the bottom). The batteries load easily and appear to lock in place securely. The SD card is easy to insert and remove.
The Snyper Commander works on all carriers in the United States and Canada. Using the Sim Hero sim card, the Commander will automatically choose which carrier has the best reception and use that. This is a big improvement over traditional cellular cameras that only work on one carrier. Getting the camera up and running took about 20 minutes (longer than average). It involves sim card activation on a website, camera settings on the camera itself, and downloading the Snyper app on your phone. Expect to spend some time on the set up process.
When you have the camera up and running, you will pay for your data on the my.simhero.com website (it is not done from the Snyper app). Be aware, the Commander does not offer two-way communication. Traditionally, all cellular trail cameras have two-way communication so you can change settings on the fly, from your phone. The Commander does not have that and this is a big oversight in our opinion. In addition to that, the camera will only send pictures instantly - you can't save battery life by sending in "batch" mode.
Sim Card Instructions:
- Go to my.simhero.com, register, enter required information. Sim registration code is found under the sim hero card in the package
- Add billing information and select a data plan. You can checkout and pay for the plan (select auto-renew so you don't have to do this monthly)
- The website will tell you that the data will be active in 5-10 minutes
- To estimate how much data you need, the camera uses 80 kb per photo sent when sent in "small size." There are 1,000 kb in a mb. For instance, you can expect 1,500 photos per month with the $6.99 plan if sent in small size.
- Download Snyper App and create an account
- Insert batteries, SD card and sim card
- Turn the camera to setup, let it find service and then hit menu > Cellular 4G > Sending Options.
- Add the number you see on the screen into the "Phone Number for Camera" field. It should should start with 8611...
- Set the rest of the settings to your desired preference and turn the camera on.
We will continue to monitor the reliability of the Snyper, if anything arises we will update this review immediately.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you a 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.