Spypoint Link-Dark (Verizon)
December Promotion! Any Spypoint Link camera bought from December 1st to December 31st qualifies for a FREE Spypoint Link Booster Antenna ($80 value). This is a mail-in rebate that you complete and send back to Spypoint. You can download and read the rebate here.
Looking for the best place to buy a Spypoint Link Dark?
We have cultivated a loyal customer following by focusing on what's important... You! We dedicate countless hours testing & reviewing trail cameras to provide you with the most complete and accurate game camera reviews. Here are a few of the reasons we are confident you will be a happy lifelong customer:
Spypoint Link-Dark (Verizon) Review
The Link-Dark is no glow, fast, easy to setup, and has plenty of options for programming on the app. This is a big winner whether using for security or wildlife. - TCP Staff
Model # Link-Dark | Link Dark Owners Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:4.3 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:95/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:92/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Outstanding detection circuit
- 4+ month battery life
- Easy cellular setup and great case design
- Does not send video
This is an LTE cellular trail camera that works on Verizon towers. The pictures can be retrieved by a smartphone using the Spypoint app or by connecting to myspypoint.com. You do NOT need a Verizon cell phone, any carrier's phone would work for retrieval. It is only important that the Link-Dark Verizon has 3 or more bars of Verizon reception.
If you have less than 3 bars of reception, we have had good luck with the Spypoint Booster Antenna. It currently enables a Spypoint Link camera to send in an area with 1 bar of reception. That does not mean it will work like that everywhere, but it certainly helps.
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl (interpolated)
Flash Type: No glow IR
Day pictures look good and are in-line with all the other Spypoint cameras. They have good color but tend to have some blur in low-light conditions.
Night pictures are decent, for a no glow camera. Animals that are close to the camera have a tendency of white-out, however, animals in that 20-45 ft. sweet spot are just what you would expect from a no glow trailcam.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.29 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 27.2 Ws | 26.8 Ws
If this camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 4.3 months on a set of lithium batteries. Keep in mind, this camera is accomplishing 4.3 months of battery life on 8 AA batteries rather than the typical 12 AA batteries all other cellular trailcams use
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.07 s. | 32.9 s.
Detection Range: 110 ft. (maximum)
This is an outstanding detection circuit in every way. The trigger speed is great, the recovery time is well above average for cell cameras, and the Link Dark detected 110 ft. in our detection test.
Dimensions: 5.25" x 4" x 3.25" (w/o antenna)
Battery Type: 8 AA
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
The Link-Dark case design is similar to previous Spypoint cameras with a few notable improvements. The latch has been beefed up and is now one-piece construction. It opens and closes easily. The battery compartment on the back has an eject button that pops the cover open.
This camera has a built-in python bracket on the back of the camera and a 1/4" x 20 threaded slot on the bottom for a Slate River Mount. This camera has an internal screen for setup and for reviewing pictures. You can also do both of these functions via the Spypoint app on your phone.
Overall, the case design is very solid. The antenna seems a little flimsy, but we will keep an eye on it and if anything arises we will update this review.
Setup for the Link-Dark
Camera settings can be done from the camera but you will need to set up the cell options on your phone. Because of that, we would just recommend doing both camera and cell set up on the app. In the past, cell cameras have developed a reputation for being clumsy and finicky during this process. The Link-Dark couldn't be easier to setup, even for the folks that aren't "techie."
After you have turned the camera on and loaded the app to your phone, simply follow the instructions on the app. You will need to set up an account and connect your new camera to the app. This takes no time at all. From there, you can select the camera settings, check battery status/cell reception, sd card storage, and view the pictures the camera has taken. The sim card comes with the camera and is located in the battery compartment. You can find the sim card number in the general settings ("About this Device"). You can manually type it into the app or scan it with your phone.
For setting options, the Link-Dark is one of the few cellular cameras that can be programmed to be on or off on certain days of the week. For instance, you can have the camera on from 5 pm to 8 am Mon-Fri., but on 24 hours a day during the weekend. This is an underrated feature.
This camera does not have an option to send a photo on command but you can set the frequency it connects to the network checking for other setting changes. The app is very easy to navigate and will not leave you confused.
This app is where you will set your data plan, your first month is unlimited photos for free. We LOVE the fact that Spypoint offers a free data plan (100 pictures a month), so you can run the camera for no cost, year-round. If you need more than 100 pictures a month, here are the costs of the other data plan options:
- Free plan = 100 photos/month (photos saved for 7 days)
- $5 per month (annual) = 250 photos/month (photos saved for 7 days)
- $15 per month (annual) = unlimited photos/month (unlimited photo saving)
- $25 per month (3 months) = unlimited photos/month (unlimited photo saving)
Viewing pictures is super easy. You can scroll left or right on the images and they react instantly. Overall, setup on the Link-Dark couldn't be easier even if you don't consider yourself the most technologically advanced person in the world.
Durability is unknown at this time. In the last 12 months, Spypoint has had our third lowest warranty rate. We will update this review if anything changes.
The Link-Dark is no glow, fast, easy to setup, and has plenty of options for programming on the app. This is a big winner whether using for security or wildlife.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are a plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera and lower resolution images are transmitted to your Spypoint Link App or their myspypoint.com web portal. Here are some other methods for viewing images:
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Buy the Stealth Cam IOS & Android Reader in order to view images on your phone. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you a 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- Verizon cellular trail camera - 4G/LTE
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
- Date, time, temperature and moon phase stamp on photos
- Time Lapse Mode
- Multi-shot up to 2 photos per trigger
- Photo + Video mode (takes a picture and then video - only sends the picture to app)
- 4G Photo Transmission
- Preactivated sim card included
- Requires 8 AA batteries (we recommend lithium)
- First 30 days of cellular data is free with unlimited photos
- After 30 days, Spypoint includes a plan that is Free and sends up to 100 photos
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- 7-Day Start/Stop time programming
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Spypoint Link Dark Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Link Dark.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this to boost the signal for your Spypoint Link camera. We have found it works really well and is sending pictures for us in an area with only 1 bar of reception.
- This is a rechargeable lithium battery pack with AC charger. It fits in the battery pack compartment and lasts 1-2 months under normal circumstances.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability, and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Link-Dark has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Link Dark, but most people use two cards. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.