This is a discontinued trail camera.
Covert Blackhawk 21 LTE Review
Overall, the Blackhawk 21 LTE is a solid Verizon cell camera. The no glow flash makes this versatile as both a wildlife and security camera, plus, the camera gets good battery life and takes good pictures. - TCP Staff
Model # CO8083 | Covert Blackhawk 21 Owners Manual
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:4.9 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:74/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:88/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Covert Blackhawk 21 LTE Trail Camera Review
- Good day photos
- 4+ months of battery life
- Great case design and usability
- Slow trigger speeds
The Covert Blackhawk 21 LTE Verizon trail camera uses a 4G/LTE Quectel EC25-V module that allows this camera to operate on Verizon 4G/LTE towers. It is backwards compatible and should work on 3G towers while they are still active.
Photo resolution: 20 interpolated mpxl
Flash Type: No glow IR
Picture quality is good during the day. The pictures have decent color, good clarity and depth. It seems to stop motion well too. They can get a little dark in shady areas (underexposed), however, overall these are great pictures.
Night pictures are decent. They have good flash but have some graininess as well. Overall, they are above average.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the Covert Blackhawk LTE 21 Verizon trail camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 2.21 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 29.5 s. | 31.5 s.
If this camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 4.9 months on a set of lithium batteries. This is very good for a cellular trail camera.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.85 s. | 34.2 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 3.51 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 90 ft. @ 57.4° (47.3° field of view)
We continue to wish Covert would place more of an emphasis on trigger speed as a 0.83 s. trigger is below average and a 3+ s. trigger in video mode is terribly slow. The recovery time is fast and the detection range is very solid. However, the detection angle is once again much wider than the field of view, this will result in false triggers if animals are hanging out just outside the field of view.
Dimensions: 6" x 4.75" x 3.5"
Battery Type: 12 AA
External Battery Jack: 6-volt
Not surprisingly, the case design on the LTE is fantastic. The outer plastic case feels really solid and durable to the touch, the latch is huge and easy to open/close, and the case has all the accessories we like. There are two threaded inserts for Slate River Mounts (one on the back and one on the bottom) along with a built-in bracket for a Python Cable Lock on the back of the camera. The obvious difference in this case design from previous cameras is the double antenna on the top.
The built-in viewer makes aiming the camera very simple and the large buttons make scrolling through the setup easy as can be. Overall, case design is impressive.
Getting the camera's basic functions up and running is very easy, just use the screen to set your date/time, picture mode, and so on. the large setup screen makes this easy to see and should only take a minute or two.
Cellular Setup Instructions
The ONLY way to set up this game trail camera is through Covert, do not contact Verizon to set up this camera. You CAN'T use an existing sim card you already have. Please, please, please follow the instructions that come with the camera or our own instructions below.
If following simple instructions is your jam, you won't have problems setting this camera up. If you try to deviate from these steps, you will have problems. Here are the steps to get the camera setup properly:
- Go to secure.covert-wireless.com.
- Create an account if you are a new user or login to an existing account.
- Select the data plan you want to use under the "Purchase Additional Subscription Plans" heading
- Enter your personal information and billing information in the appropriate areas
- Enter your ICCID number (this is on the sim card that comes with the camera) and the IMEI number (this is on the top-inside of the camera, on a sticker)
- There is a warning during this step that it could take up to 24 hours for your camera to become active. So, if it doesn't start sending photos right away, this could be the reason.
- You can refresh your browser in a minute or two to check the status of the activation. On the cameras we did, it was active immediately after refreshing.
- At this point, you can load 12 Lithium Batteries, an SD card, and the sim card into the camera and turn it to "Setup."
- The screen will turn on and it will start looking for the network. It will give you the status in the top-right hand corner.
How to send a Test Photo (to ensure the camera is active)
- Press the "Shot" button when on the live preview screen.
- Press the "Ok" button, then press the "Menu" button. Highlight "Send" and press "Ok."
- The display will show you the progress of the photo being sent. At the end, it should say "Sent Successfully."
- You can now view this picture on the main menu of your Covert-Wireless Account
We recommend downloading the Covert Wireless App to your smartphone so you can view pictures on the go, check the camera's status, and change settings remotely. From the app, you can choose to have pictures emailed or texted to you (or have this function turned off and just check on the app). The only thing we would change is the ability to do the initial programming of the camera via the app on your phone and not have to use a computer. Other than that, this camera was very easy to setup.
Data plan costs are complicated and offer a million different plans. You can find them below (this is a screenshot from Covert's website and subject to change).
This camera does have the ability to remotely send pictures AND videos. The videos are 5 seconds in length and must be "requested. If you set it to video mode, it will send you a picture of the beginning of the video. If you like the picture and want to see the full video, you can "request the video." This is an additional $0.07 per video you request. It will then send you the video and it can take up to 24 hours for the video to send.
We currently do not have any durability concerns, Covert cell cameras have been quite reliable to-date. If anything arises, we will update this review.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
Overall, the Blackhawk 21 LTE is a solid Verizon cell camera. The no glow flash makes this versatile as both a wildlife and security camera, plus, the camera gets good battery life and takes good pictures.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.