Browning Dark Ops Max Plus
The Browning Dark Ops Max Plus is a solid no glow trail camera that sports a fast detection circuit and long battery life. We consider the picture/video quality to be average, overall. This 2-pack is a great way to save money on buying multiple cameras that have solid performance. - TCP Staff
Model #BTC-6HD-MXP | Browning Dark Ops Max Plus Owners Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:17 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:93/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:85/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
Browning Dark Ops Max Plus Trail Camera Review
- Super fast trigger and recovery times
- Great battery life in picture mode (17 months)
- Easy user interface
- Below average battery life in video mode
- Below average video quality
Photo resolution: 20 mpxl (interpolated)
- Super fast trigger and recovery times
Video resolution: 1600 x 900 w/ audio
Flash Type: No glow IR
Daytime pictures are pretty sharp and have good color quality. It seems to stop motion well and is above average, overall. Night pictures have strong contrast but do blur a bit on motion. You can see sample photos below.
Daytime video quality is grainy and lacking in high-end quality. Night video isn't bad for a no glow camera, not the best on the market but certainly usable. Overall, we consider video quality to be below average.
Night IR Blur Test
The equipment for the test consists of a target moving along a track from left to right at a constant speed controlled by a stepper motor and a sensor to trigger the capture of a picture near the center of the field of view of a trail camera.
The target is moving at 1.25 feet per second and is 10 feet from the camera at the center of field of view. The test is conducted in a dark room. Two pictures are taken, one with the target not moving and one with the target in motion. A visual comparison can now be made of the two pictures. All settings that affect the quality of night photos will be tested.
Long Range Mode:
Long Range Mode:
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on):
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption:
If this Browning Dark Ops Max Plus camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, this camera would last 17 months in the field on a set of 6 AA Lithium Batteries. This is fantastic!
If this Browning Dark Ops Max Plus camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.8 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is below average.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.04 s. | 0.7 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.54 s. | 0.9 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 90 ft. @ 48.9° detection angle (40.3° field of view)
This detection circuit boasts incredibly faster trigger speeds and great recovery times. The 90 ft. detection range is good, but the detection angle is 8° wider than the field of view. This could result in a few false triggers. Overall, this is a great detection circuit.
Dimensions: 4.75" x 4" x 3"
Battery Type: 6 AA
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
SD Card Size: Up to 512GB
This is one of the smaller game cameras on the market, making it easy to conceal in a variety of ways. The camera feels sturdy and stable. The latch remains a touch close to the camera, making it somewhat difficult to unlatch with cold fingers.
Temperature ratings the camera records have a tendency of being unreliable and off by a significant margin.
The Browning Dark Ops Max Plus setup is familiar and easy to navigate. Click "Mode" to enter the menu, tap "Up" or "Down" to toggle settings, hit enter to highlight a setting, change the desired setting with the up or down arrow, and then hit enter to save that setting. Very simple.
The Dark Ops accepts up to 512 Gig SD Cards. That allows for tons of memory storage and most useful if placing the camera in video mode for long periods of time.
We have no concerns over durability, if anything arises, we will immediately update this review. The only thing we see on a regular basis is incorrect temperature readings. We see this on all Browning cameras, so if this is a big concern for you, we would recommend a different brand as they all tend to be inaccurate.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- Selectable Night IR Illumination (Long Range, Fast Motion, Economy modes)
- SD Card Management
- Up to 8 Multi Shot Images
- Up to 8 Rapid Fire Images
- Smart IR Video
- Selectable Start/Stop Image Timer
- Programmable Picture Delay (1 sec. – 60 min.)
- Picture info bar displays: Time, Date, Temperature, Moon Phase, Camera ID
- 12 volt External Power Jack
- Supports up to 512GB SDXC Memory Card (not included)
- Timelapse Plus camera mode with IR triggered images
Domestic Shipping Options
- Free 2-Day Shipping on all orders over $99 to U.S. addresses
- Free shipping will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use with the Browning Dark Ops Max Plus cameras.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability, and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Covert, but most people use two cards. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
- This security case works with the Browning Max Plus Trail Cameras.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.