The Edge camera has been discontinued. You can find the new Spec Ops Elite here.
Browning Spec Ops Edge Review
This is one of, if not the top, no-glow video trail camera currently on the market. This camera has outstanding battery life, excellent detection speeds, easy setup, and great images. This is a big winner for 2020. - TCP Staff
Model # BTC 8E / Browning Spec Ops Edge Owners Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:27+ Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:90/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:90/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Browning Spec Ops Edge Trail Camera Review
- Outstanding video quality
- Extremely fast detection speeds
- 27+ Months of picture battery life is incredible
- Easy to set up and large internal view screen
- Detection zone is way wider than the field of view
- *Does not work with NiMH rechargeable batteries.
Photo resolution: 20 interpolated mpxl
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 (60 fps)
Flash Type: No glow IR
Day picture quality is really solid and in line with other Spec Ops game trail camera models from the past. The pictures have good color and clarity and stop motion fairly well. Night pictures are a little darker than the red glow Recon Force model, which is exactly what you should expect. In general, night pictures have decent flash range but are a bit blurry.
Browning has released a firmware update to fix a clicking noise at the beginning of videos. You can find the firmware here.
Video quality is exceptionally strong and should be one of the reasons you purchase this camera. The Edge series are one of, if not our top, video trail cameras right now. 1920x1080 at 60 frames per second result in clear, realistic videos.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.26 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.36 Ws | 1.92 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 24.88 Ws | 80.69 Ws
If this game trail camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Spec Ops Edge would last 27.3 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries. For a no glow trail camera using 8 batteries, we consider this to be elite.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 2.2 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is average life, maybe slightly below average.
*Does not work with nimh rechargeable batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.02 s. | 0.8 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.39 s. | 0.6 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 90 ft. @ 59.8° detection angle (@37.3 ° field of view)
Speed is the name of the game when it comes to the detection circuit in the Spec Ops. Picture trigger and recovery time is phenomenal and video trigger/recovery is outstanding.
Detection range is 90 ft., which means this camera can reach out on big foot plots, open fields, or most security situations. The problem is the detection angle is significantly wider than the field of view, which means this camera has the potential of false triggering consistently.
Dimensions: 5” x 3.5” x 2”
Battery Type: 8 AA
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
There isn't much to dislike here. The Edge is actually smaller than previous versions of the Spec Ops line, making this model sit flatter and more discreet on trees. The latch opens easily, even with cold fingers.
The internal picture viewer doubles as the setup screen. Setup couldn't be easier and more intuitive. You won't have a problem getting this camera up and running. New setup options include options to have a normal/fast trigger speed, adjustable PIR sensitivity, and to have economy/long range IR flash power.
Durability has been really good for the Edge. Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but Browning trail cameras have proven to be a durable camera for us. If an issue arises in this model, we will update this Browning Spec Ops Edge Review immediately.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. Here are some other methods for viewing images:
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you a 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.