This is a discontinued camera. You can shop new Covert cameras here.
2016 Covert Blackhawk 12.0 Review
*Closeout all sales final*
- The Blackhawk is the Verizon version of the Code Black Wireless. This camera will send photos instantly to your email or cell phone. Programming and setup are stellar, but night pictures are very dark. Make sure you set the "Remote Control" setting to 4 hours so it doesn't kill the battery life prematurely. - TCP Staff
Model # 5120 (Verizon) | Blackhawk Owner's Manual
- Faster recovery than the AT&T Code Black 12.0
- Very easy to setup and maintain
- 2" internal viewer
- Excellent case design
- Great battery life
- Slow trigger speed
- Dark night photos
The Covert Code Black Blackhawk 12.0 is a Verizon based cellular trail camera. Download the Covert app to receive photos, manage the pictures and send real-time commands from your phone. The Covert Blackhawk excels for wildlife scouting, business security, and property surveillance.
There is a monthly cost associated with the subscription plans. Here are the plans:
|1,000 pictures||5,000 pictures||17,000 pictures||250,000 pictures|
|$14.99 monthly||$19.99 monthly||$24.99 monthly||$299 annually|
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
Pictures transmitted will not be full resolution, they are compressed to 640x480. Along with the smaller size, they will not have maximum picture quality. These images end up being distorted or a bit grainy. If you want the full resolution, higher quality images, get the pictures directly from the SD card.
Day pictures have good color and stop motion well. It would have been nice to have a larger photo option for the transmission because these pictures are particularly distorted. The pictures saved to the SD card are nice, though.
Night pictures lack flash range and make face recognition extremely difficult for security surveillance. Overall, the night pictures are below average.
Resting Power (on): 2.69 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 32.85 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 23.45 Ws
Covert sets a high bar with this spectacular battery data. The consumption for day and night is unheard of in a cellular trail camera. This is a big deal and propels Covert to the top of the battery life standings for any cellular game camera - regardless of price.
Make sure you set the "Remote Control" setting to 4 hours so it doesn't kill the battery life prematurely. Otherwise it is constantly connected to the network and will burn through batteries in a week or two.
If this camera were to take 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 5 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. Alkaline batteries will not power this camera for long.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.41 s. / 34.0 s. | Detection Range: 80 ft.
Trigger speed is very slow. We were surprised that this wasn't updated for the 2016 model. The 34 second recovery time is very impressive for a cellular camera. Other cellular cameras take about 60 seconds to recover.
Detection range was 80 ft. This camera detected 20 ft. further than the Code Black 12.0. We do not know why they detected differently.
Overall, the trigger speed could use a boost.
Dimensions: 5.75" x 4.5" x 3" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
Covert absolutely hit a home run with the programming. Gone are the days of complicated cell camera setup, the Code Black sets up in a few minutes with access to the internet.
How to setup a Covert Blackhawk (Verizon)
- Go to Covert-Wireless.com
- Sign up as a new customer (unless you already have an account and are adding a camera
- Enter your account info, billing info and select a plan
- Enter your IMEI number (on the camera) and the ICCID number from the SIM card. This identifies your specific camera with your account.
- Your account will show up with your camera info. You can name the camera, which is especially helpful if you end up with multiple cameras.
That's it for setup. Picture the camera takes will now be sent to your account, which you can access from the website, or you can download the Covert Wireless App to your smartphone (Android or iPhone).
The most common question we get is, "Can I use an old sim card I have for this camera?" Absolutely Not. The camera comes with a specific sim card for this camera (this is the answer to that question regardless of what camera you purchase - they never use old sim cards). The ONLY way to setup this camera is the method described above. Also, if you have 3 of these cameras, you will need to add a line for each of them to your Covert-Wireless.com account.
To view pictures the camera has taken, simply go to Covert-Wireless.com and log in, or access them through the app on your phone. On the app, you can set the app to audibly notify you when a picture is taken (this is handy for security operations).
From either the app or the website, you can change the settings on the camera with the click of your mouse. This "remote control" can be either instant (real-time) or set to specific intervals that the camera changes settings on. This is the last option on the menu below.
Many of you will find the "Real-Time Photo" useful. Click that button, with real-time selected, and within 30-60 seconds you will have a picture from the camera.
The app works identically to this, just on your phone. Covert Scouting Cameras did an outstanding job building this website and making the programming simple.
The only internal setup needed for this camera is the typical stuff. Set the time, date, delay (use 1 minute or greater), resolution, etc. This camera does have start/stop time if you only want it on during certain time periods.
Case design is also a strength. The large, over-sized latch is easy to manipulate and strong. There is a 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom for a Slate River Mount, along with a built-in python cable lock bracket on the back.
Durability has always been good with the Code Black Blackhawk cameras. Most problems associated with earlier models of the Code Black were programming or sim card issues. With the easier setup the Blackhawk has, those issues should be eliminated.
Covert Blackhawk Conclusion
The night pictures and detection speed are the only items holding this camera back. The programming and setup is a dream come true, though. If the first two things aren't important to you, this is a great cellular game camera.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- Setup Guide
- Verizon cellular trail camera
- 12 Mpxl photo resolution (interpolated)
- No glow IR flash
- 1-10 image burst
- Time, temperature, date, and moon phase stamp on each image
- 2" internal color viewer
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom of the camera
- Built in python cable bracket
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Covert Blackhawk Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Blackhawk 12.0.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Blackhawk has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Blackhawk 12.0, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.