Covert Code Black 3G
- This no glow cellular trail camera would be useful for both security and wildlife applications. Cellular technology continues to advance, making the setup easier on this model from what you may have seen on older cellular cameras. - TCP Staff
Read our full Covert Code Black 3G reviews below.
Covert Code Black 3G Review (AT&T & Verizon Models)
Model #'s 2861, 2991 | Code Black Verizon Owners Manual
- Easy cellular setup
- Good overall battery life
- Reliable cellular trail camera
- Slow trigger speed
- Slightly high resting power
Covert has had cellular trail cameras for a number of years now. Keeping up with the ever-changing cellular market is daunting, for any company. Luckily, the technology is making strides each year to become more user-friendly in the setup process. Let's see how these stack up...
Quality of Design
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4" x 3" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
Cellular setup has given us nightmares lately with some of the cellular trail cameras from 2014 and earlier. The Code Black AT&T Version can be setup from your home computer, in just a few minutes. Activate the service at www.att.com/buyasession. From here, you create an account and select your desired monthly plan. Here are the options for U.S. customers:
- 250 MB of data for 24 hours - $5.00
- 250 MB of data for 30 days - $14.99
- 1 GB of data for 3 months - $25.00 (in our opinion this is the best value)
- 3 GB of data for 30 days - $30.00
- 5 GB of data for 30 days - $50.00
There is no contract with these plans, you can start and stop at any time all with the click of a button.
The Covert Blackhawk (Verizon model) sets up a bit differently. You will need to login to Coverts Website and create an account. After following all the prompts, you will get to choose a cellular plan. Here are the costs:
- 1,000 pictures = $14.99 monthly
- 5,000 pictures = $19.95 monthly
- 17,000 pictures = $24.99 monthly
- 102,000 pictures = $279.99 yearly
As with any AT&T or Verizon cellular camera, the Code Black 3G needs good cellular reception with whichever carrier you go with. It does not matter which carrier your current phone is, what matters is making sure you match the proper camera to the carrier that provides the best reception in the area you are placing the camera. We recommend taking a phone to the area you will set the camera, taking a photo with your phone and texting it to someone. If the picture goes through quickly, the camera should work in that area with that cellular provider. One or two bars of reception will not be good enough for this camera.
You can do the internal programming directly from the cameras setup screen if you are only sending to a telephone number. If sending to an email (or both), you have to do the download profile (like in earlier Code Black Models). We would have liked to see the Code Black be programmable from the setup screen for both phone number and email.
Setup is relatively simple, but we are available for consultation for our customers. Due to cellular setup taking quite a bit of time via a phone call, we do charge $30 to walk you through setup if you do not purchase from us. If you did purchase from us, we will spend any amount of time walking you through it free of charge.
- 1-3 multi-shot
- 5 s. - 60 s. video clips
- Time Lapse: custom start/stop time. 5 s. - 8 hr. time intervals
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature and moon phase
- Picture + Video Mode: No
- Start/Stop Time: Yes
- Password Protection: Yes
- SD Card Overwrite: Yes
- PIR Settings: Yes | High, Normal, Low, Off
- Flash Settings: Yes | High or Low
Durability on the Code Black 3G has been really good to date. Most issues that arise are from improper setup or sim card problems, rarely is the camera defective.
The ease of use has improved from 2014 based on the cellular sim card setup improving drastically. Our rating would be higher if you could program emails into the camera directly from the camera's interface.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.19 s. / 77.0 s. | Detection Range: 80 ft.
Not much has changed in the detection circuit for 2015. Trigger time is still over a second (slow) and recovery is 77 seconds. Recovery can vary based on the cell reception the camera is currently operating under. Since this is a cellular camera and can't transmit videos, we did not test or rate the video trigger or recovery times.
Detection range is 80 ft. Detection range can change with ambient temperature. The warmer the environment is, the less sensitive the camera will be. Overall, this is more or less the same detection circuit the Code Black has always had. It is pretty typical of a cellular camera but would see serious improvement if changes were made to trigger speed.
Photo resolution: 10, 8, 5, 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 640 x 480 w/ audio (does not transmit) | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
Pictures transmitted are in 640x480 (or 800 x 600). The picture that is transmitted is compressed and will be grainy and pixelated. The full resolution image will be saved to the SD card that is inside the camera.
Day pictures have good color and depth. There does appear to be blur if anything is moving. Night images are the same we have seen the last few years. Solid, but not spectacular. The flash is concentrated in the middle of the image so animals on the sides are much darker.
Resting Power (on): 5.52 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 68.89 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 48.84 Ws
Resting power is relatively high compared to other cellular trail cameras. Day and night consumption and good and right in line with what we typically see from cellular trail cameras.
If this camera were to take 15 day pictures and 15 night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 2.4 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. Alkaline batteries will not power this camera for long. It is recommended to use a 6 volt solar panel if applicable at your camera trap station.
Covert Code Black 3G Reviews Conclusion: 3.5 Stars
This camera has improved drastically from last year based on one simple fact: you no longer need to go to AT&T to get a sim card. Outside of that, this is basically the same camera as last year. The 2015 Code Black 3G is a solid, reliable cellular trail camera that has earned our recommendation.
- Free 2-Day Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping now applies to all 50 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day.
- We are happy to offer overnight & international shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
Trailcampro has shipped to practically every country on the globe and is dedicated to the highest standards in International Customer Service.
We ship via UPS International Air (fully insured) with an ETA of 4 to 6 days, depending on your location. Due to our high volume with UPS, we can offer discounts of 35% to 40% off their list carriage rates.
We ask that you first contact us by email at internationalorders@Trailcampro.com with your proposed order. We will calculate the packaged weight and promptly provide a carriage quote and estimated delivery time. If the quote is acceptable, simply provide us with your credit card information (Name, Credit Card Billing Address, Account Number, Expiration Date and the 3 Digit Security Code on the back) and your order will be on its way. Alternatively, payment can be made via bank transfer to our International Swift account with Bank of America. Additional Notes:
All merchandise purchased is FOB Springfield MO USA
Customs duties and/or related taxes are the buyer's responsibility.
Our goal is to make sure your International buying experience exceeds your expectations. If you have any questions, or would like references from our customer base of large institutional, research or university clients, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.