Covert Night Stalker
TCP Rating: 78/100
- This no glow IR trail camera has a 2" internal viewer and incredible 1 year battery life. The detection circuit still hasn't caught up to modern times with trigger times over 1 second on pictures and 2.4 for videos. The Stalker does not come with our 2-year warranty or return policy. This is a closeout camera, marked down to sell and all sales are final. It does still come with manufacturer 1-year warranty. - TCP Staff
2016 Covert Night Stalker Review
Model # 5175 | Covert Night Stalker Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- Incredible battery life
- Improved latch design
- Good, colorful day pictures/videos
- Easy setup
- Very slow picture & video detection
- Poor night pictures/videos
The 2016 Covert Night Stalker replaces the Covert HD60 from 2015. This is a no glow IR trail camera with a 2" internal viewer. The viewer is great for picture/video playback and initial camera setup.
Dimensions: 5.75" x 4.5" x 2.75" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
We are certainly enjoying all the new 2016 scouting cameras that are utilizing the over sized latch that opens the camera. This large latch is more secure than the small latches the previous Covert scouting cameras had and also much easier to open with cold fingers.
"Night Stalker has a 2" internal viewing screen"
The Night Stalker has a 2" internal viewing screen that allow video and picture playback on the camera. This doubles as an effective way to position the camera on initial setup. Not only is this a nice feature of the Stalker, but it is also a rare commodity in trail cameras right now.
The Stalker has a 6 volt external battery jack if you plan on using outside power or a solar panel. However, as you will read later on, battery life is outstanding and there isn't much need for an external battery. The battery compartment is among the best designs we have seen. Inserting and removing batteries is easy - no tool required.
Programming hasn't changed much from previous Covert trail cameras. The start/stop time is a unique feature that tells the camera to only be turned on during certain times of the day. Programming is easy and the Night Stalker offers all the major settings you would expect.
Durability on Covert scouting cameras has been very solid the last several years with no major issues.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.05 s. / 5.1 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.48 s. / 5.6 s. | Detection Range: 50 ft.
Picture and Video trigger speed actually slowed down from 2015 to 2016. This is surprising and will really hurt the overall rating of the Night Stalker.
Recovery Times are slightly very average for a modern scouting camera. There are easy improvements that could be made to trigger and recovery times on the Night Stalker that would reap big rewards.
The detection range was 50 ft. in our Detection Shootout.
Photo resolution: 12, 8, 5 or 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1080 x 720 w/ audio | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
Day pictures look really good. Solid color, clarity and they stop motion very well. Covert daytime pictures continue to impress us.
We found the night pictures to be dark and grainy. These night pictures are a step down from what we have seen from Covert scouting cameras in the past.
Day videos are very good. Nice color and depth. Night videos are very grainy and have a flash range of about 30 - 40 ft. Overall, nighttime imagery could use improvements.
Resting Power (on): 2.42 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.74 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 4.11 Ws
Battery life doesn't get much better than this. Combine efficient consumption numbers with 12 AA batteries working on a 6 volt system and the result is a 5 star battery life rating.
If this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, this camera could last 12.1 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Covert Stalker Conclusion: 78/100
Covert continues to produce well-made, battery efficient trail cameras. Unfortunately, the speed of their cameras does not seem to be making any improvements. We still think they take some of the better day pictures on the market, but the night flash has weakened from past models.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- 12 mpxl interpolated pictures
- 1080 x 720 w/ audio video resolution
- Start/Stop time. Program the camera to be on specific times of the day.
- 41.5° field of view (advertises 52°)
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- SD card overwrite
- Password protection
- Flash power setting: High/Low
- Format the SD card in the camera
- Camera sensitivity: High, Normal, Low, Off
- Time Lapse: 5 seconds to 60 minutes
- 1-10 turbo shot burst
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- No glow infrared flash
- Time, temperature, date and moon phase on time stamp
- 2" internal color viewer
- Built-in python bracket on back of camera
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert for Slate River Mount on bottom of camera
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Covert Night Stalker Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Covert Night Stalker.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Night Stalker has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Night Stalker, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.