2016 Covert Night Stryker Review
Model # 5182 | Covert Night Stryker Owner's Manual
- Incredible battery life (over a year)
- Improved latch design
- Good day pictures
- Great video quality
- Very slow picture & video detection
- Lacks flash range
The 2016 Covert Night Stryker replaces the Covert HD 40 from 2015. This is a red glow IR trail camera with a 2" internal viewer. The Night Stryker is the sister camera to the Night Stalker. The only difference is the Night Stryker (this camera) is red glow IR night flash. The Stalker has no glow (invisible) night flash.
Dimensions: 5.75" x 4.5" x 2.75" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
We are certainly enjoying all the new 2016 scouting cameras that are utilizing the over-sized latch that opens the camera. This large latch is more secure than the small latches the previous Covert scouting cameras had and also much easier to open with cold fingers.
"Night Stryker has a 2" internal viewing screen"
The Night Stryker has a 2" internal viewing screen that allows video and picture playback on the camera. This doubles as an effective way to position the camera on initial setup. Not only is this a nice feature of the Stryker, but it is also a rare commodity in trail cameras right now.
On the back of the camera is a built-in bracket for a python cable lock and a 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom for a tripod or Slate River Mount.
The camera has a6-voltt external battery jack if you plan on using outside power or a solar panel. However, as you will read later on, battery life is outstanding and there isn't much need for an external battery. The battery compartment is among the best designs we have seen. Inserting and removing batteries is easy - no tool required.
Programming hasn't changed much from previous Covert trail cameras. The start/stop time is a unique feature that tells the camera to only be turned on during certain times of the day. Programming is easy and the Night Stryker offers all the major settings you would expect.
Durability on Covert scouting cameras has been very solid the last several years with no major issues.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.04 s. / 5.1 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.48 s. / 5.5 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft.
Picture and Video trigger speed actually slowed down from 2015 to 2016. This is surprising and will really hurt the overall rating of the Night Stryker.
Recovery Times are very average for a modern scouting camera. Slight improvements in detection speed could greatly improve the Night Stryker's overall rating.
The detection range is 60 ft. This is the most common range we have seen in 2016 trail cameras.
Overall, this detection circuit is below average, specifically for speed.
Photo resolution: 12, 8, 5 or 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1080 x 720 w/ audio | Flash Type: Red Glow Infrared
Day pictures look really good. Solid color, clarity and they stop motion very well. Covert daytime pictures continue to impress us.
Night pictures lack the flash range that we have seen from Covert scouting cameras in the past. We don't have an explanation for it, but the Stryker ranked 14th out of 17 red glow cameras in our Flash Range Shootout. Our field pictures have been good, as long as the animal is close to the camera. Overall, we don't think the Stryker takes as nice a night photos as past Covert cameras. However, we are in the process of placing more Stryker's in the field to confirm these results and to make sure that the cameras that are currently out are representing this camera accurately.
Night videos are brighter than the night pictures we collected. You can see from the videos below that the flash is adequate and clear. These are good night videos. Day videos are identical to day pictures in quality. Good color and clarity make for a highly rated day video.
Resting Power (on): 2.33 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.71 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 3.74 Ws
Battery life doesn't get much better than this. Combine efficient consumption numbers with 12 AA batteries working on a 6 volt system and the result is a 5 star battery life rating.
If this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, this camera could last 12.6 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- Red glow infrared flash
- 12 mpxl interpolated pictures
- 1080 x 720 w/ audio video resolution
- Start/Stop time. Program the camera to be on specific times of the day.
- 41.5° field of view (advertises 52°)
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- SD card overwrite
- Password protection
- Flash power setting: High/Low
- Format the SD card in the camera
- Camera sensitivity: High, Normal, Low, Off
- Time Lapse: 5 seconds to 60 minutes
- 1-10 turbo shot burst
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Time, temperature, date and moon phase on time stamp
- 2" internal color viewer
- Built-in python bracket on back of camera
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert for Slate River Mount on bottom of camera
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Covert Night Stryker Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Covert Night Stryker.
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums | 12 Pack
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Night Stryker has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Night Stryker, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Purchase your next trail camera with the Experts!
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.