Original Price: $179.95Sale Price:109.95
Covert Night Stryker
TCP Rating - 80/100
- The Night Stryker possesses fantastic battery life, a great case design, and solid images. However, this camera is abnormally slow to detect and could use improvements in flash range. The Stryker does not come with our 2-year warranty or return policy. This is a closeout camera, marked down to sell and all sales are final. It does still come with manufacturer 1-year warranty. - TCP Staff
2016 Covert Night Stryker Review
Model # 5182 | Covert Night Stryker Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- Incredible battery life (over a year)
- Improved latch design
- Good day pictures
- Great video quality
- Very slow picture & video detection
- Lacks flash range
The 2016 Covert Night Stryker replaces the Covert HD 40 from 2015. This is a red glow IR trail camera with a 2" internal viewer. The Night Stryker is the sister camera to the Night Stalker. The only difference is the Night Stryker (this camera) is red glow IR night flash. The Stalker has no glow (invisible) night flash.
Dimensions: 5.75" x 4.5" x 2.75" | Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
We are certainly enjoying all the new 2016 scouting cameras that are utilizing the over-sized latch that opens the camera. This large latch is more secure than the small latches the previous Covert scouting cameras had and also much easier to open with cold fingers.
"Night Stryker has a 2" internal viewing screen"
The Night Stryker has a 2" internal viewing screen that allows video and picture playback on the camera. This doubles as an effective way to position the camera on initial setup. Not only is this a nice feature of the Stryker, but it is also a rare commodity in trail cameras right now.
The camera has a6-voltt external battery jack if you plan on using outside power or a solar panel. However, as you will read later on, battery life is outstanding and there isn't much need for an external battery. The battery compartment is among the best designs we have seen. Inserting and removing batteries is easy - no tool required.
Programming hasn't changed much from previous Covert trail cameras. The start/stop time is a unique feature that tells the camera to only be turned on during certain times of the day. Programming is easy and the Night Stryker offers all the major settings you would expect.
Durability on Covert scouting cameras has been very solid the last several years with no major issues.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.04 s. / 5.1 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.48 s. / 5.5 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft.
Picture and Video trigger speed actually slowed down from 2015 to 2016. This is surprising and will really hurt the overall rating of the Night Stryker.
Recovery Times are very average for a modern scouting camera. Slight improvements in detection speed could greatly improve the Night Stryker's overall rating.
The detection range is 60 ft. This is the most common range we have seen in 2016 trail cameras.
Overall, this detection circuit is below average, specifically for speed.
Photo resolution: 12, 8, 5 or 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1080 x 720 w/ audio | Flash Type: Red Glow Infrared
Day pictures look really good. Solid color, clarity and they stop motion very well. Covert daytime pictures continue to impress us.
Night pictures lack the flash range that we have seen from Covert scouting cameras in the past. We don't have an explanation for it, but the Stryker ranked 14th out of 17 red glow cameras in our Flash Range Shootout. Our field pictures have been good, as long as the animal is close to the camera. Overall, we don't think the Stryker takes as nice a night photos as past Covert cameras. However, we are in the process of placing more Stryker's in the field to confirm these results and to make sure that the cameras that are currently out are representing this camera accurately.
Night videos are brighter than the night pictures we collected. You can see from the videos below that the flash is adequate and clear. These are good night videos. Day videos are identical to day pictures in quality. Good color and clarity make for a highly rated day video.
Resting Power (on): 2.33 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.71 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 3.74 Ws
Battery life doesn't get much better than this. Combine efficient consumption numbers with 12 AA batteries working on a 6 volt system and the result is a 5 star battery life rating.
If this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, this camera could last 12.6 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Covert Stryker Conclusion: 80/100
The Covert Stryker is far slower than we anticipated. Covert has never made the fastest cameras, but the Stryker definitely took a step back in speed from older Covert scouting cameras. If speed isn't important to you, this cameras battery life, video quality, day pictures and case design could win you over.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- Red glow infrared flash
- 12 mpxl interpolated pictures
- 1080 x 720 w/ audio video resolution
- Start/Stop time. Program the camera to be on specific times of the day.
- 41.5° field of view (advertises 52°)
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- SD card overwrite
- Password protection
- Flash power setting: High/Low
- Format the SD card in the camera
- Camera sensitivity: High, Normal, Low, Off
- Time Lapse: 5 seconds to 60 minutes
- 1-10 turbo shot burst
- Requires 12 AA batteries
- Time, temperature, date and moon phase on time stamp
- 2" internal color viewer
- Built-in python bracket on back of camera
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert for Slate River Mount on bottom of camera
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Covert Night Stryker Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Covert Night Stryker.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Night Stryker has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Night Stryker, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.