HCO Spartan 4G (AT&T)
HCO Spartan AT&T 4G Review
Model # GC-A4Gb
This no glow IR 4G cellular camera is really hampered by its ability to only work on 4G towers (does not work on 3G), only being able to send pictures to one phone number, and a few setup bugs. Other than that, it takes good pictures, is relatively fast, and has good battery life. -TCP Staff
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:3.9 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:77/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:81/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Good picture quality
- Solid case design
- Almost 4 months of battery life
- Improved trigger and recovery times
- Only works on 4G AT&T towers
- Can only send pictures to a single phone number or email address
This is the new HCO Spartan 4G in ATT. If you are familiar with HCO Spartan cameras, it is important to note the following changes:
- This is a 4G camera and can only work on 4G/LTE towers. It does not work down to 3G towers, unfortunately. Please ensure you have 4G towers in your area before purchasing.
- This camera is capable of taking and sending videos only if you sign up for HCO's Premium service.
- If you do not sign up for HCO's Premium service, this camera can only send photos to a single phone number or email.
Photo resolution: 8 mpxl
Video resolution: 1024x576
Flash Type: No Glow IR
Picture quality is really good. Daytime pictures have good color and clarity. Night pictures have noticeable blur on moving objects but have impressive flash range for a no glow camera.
This camera only sends videos if you sign up for the HCO premium service. Video quality is pretty good but not top of the line.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.49 mW (power save on)
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 45.6 Ws | 43.7 Ws
If this camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 3.9 months on a set of lithium batteries. This is pretty good battery life for a cell camera.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.52 s. / 44.6 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 70 ft. | 44.6° (42.3° F.O.V)
The trigger and recovery times are very respectable for a cell camera. This is more than capable of capturing a fast moving animal.
The detection range is 70 feet, which is good. The detection zone is large enough to cover a big area, allowing you to monitor open areas whether you are using the camera for security or wildlife.
Dimensions: 6" x 5" x 3.25" w/o antenna
Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 6-Volt
HCO Spartan Gocam Red Glow AT&T Reviews Setup Process:
Method #1: Go to www.spartancamera.com. Create an account and log in. Go to Shop > Buy AT&T Service. Follow the steps to activate your data service.
Data plans are the following:
- 50mb data for 1 month - $9.99
- 250 mb data for 1 month - $11.99
- 1 GB data for 3 months - $35.99
- 3 GB data for 6 months - $64.99
- 6 GB data for 6 months - $109.99
- 12 GB data for 1 year - $199.99
Please note: All current HCO cameras that we have now come with this sim card and must be set up this way. The bad news is the plans cost more now, the good news is the HCO premium service is included and won't be a separate charge.
Method #2: Older models require using the buy a session website. If you received a sim card labeled "Buyasession" or if you purchased the camera prior to November of 2018, follow the next few steps.
Activate the service at www.att.com/buyasession. From here, you create an account and select your desired monthly plan. Here are the options for U.S. customers:
- 250 MB of data for 24 hours - $5.00
- 250 MB of data for 30 days - $14.99
- 2 GB of data for 3 months - $25.00 (in our opinion this is the best value)
- 3 GB of data for 30 days - $30.00
- 5 GB of data for 30 days - $50.00
There is no contract with these plans, you can start and stop at any time all with the click of a button. At times, the buy a session website gives us fits and doesn't work. Also, AT&T has complete control over the plans and can (and has in the past) change plans abruptly and without warning. We have recently seen the plans fluctuate in price on some accounts (and not others?) and can ask for up to $50 for a data plan (which is ridiculous).
As with any AT&T cellular camera, the Spartan GoCam needs good AT&T 4G cellular reception. We recommend taking an AT&T phone to the area you will set the camera, taking a photo with your phone and texting it to someone. If the picture goes through quickly, the camera should work in that area. One or two bars of reception will not be good enough for this camera.
This camera is only capable of sending pictures to an email address, it does not text pictures to a phone. However, you can bypass that by entering the phone number as email@example.com for AT&T phones or firstname.lastname@example.org and it will come as a text message.
We are available for consultation to our customers. Due to cellular setup taking quite a bit of time via a phone call, we do charge $30 to walk you through setup if you do not purchase from us. If you did purchase from us, we will spend any amount of time walking you through it free of charge.
- Enables two-way communication from user to camera (remotely)
- Option of increasing thumbnail image to 1280 x 960 (which is up from 640x480). This makes objects/people easier to identify
- Up to 10 scheduled events. I.e. Tell the camera to send a status report or take a photo.
- Change or add email address' that the camera sends to. Send to more than one address
- Check the battery status, signal level, temperature, SD card space, and number of photos taken
The camera's case design is solid and works well. The latch is big and beefy and manipulates easily even in cold weather. The functionality of the screen, viewer, and settings operate quickly and intuitively. This is one of the stronger aspects of this camera.
Up to this point, durability has been average so far on the AT&T 4G units. If a problem arises, we will update this review immediately.
This 4G cellular camera is really hampered by its ability to only work on 4G towers (does not work on 3G), only being able to send pictures to one phone number, and a few setup bugs. Other than that, it takes good pictures, is relatively fast, and has good battery life. -TCP Staff
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: HCO Spartan 4G AT&T
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. First, pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. After that, the pictures can be set to be emailed/texted to only one phone number or email. If you pay for HCO's Premium Service, the pictures are sent to an app on your phone.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect (that is where the 940 comes from in the Dark Ops name). It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- No glow IR flash
- 6-Volt External Battery Jack
- Requires 12 AA Lithium Batteries
- Accepts up to a 32 gig SD card
- Only works on ATT 4G Towers
- Internal 2" picture viewer
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Spartan 4G has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Spartan, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.