"The M-880 Gen2 is a red glow trailcam that takes great night pictures and will last months on a set of batteries. Keep the owners manual handy though, programming is not intuitive". - TCP Staff
This is a discontinued model.
2015 Moultrie M-880 Gen2 Review
Model # MCG-12691 | Moultrie M880 Gen2 Owners Manual
- Very good battery life
- Excellent night pictures
- Poor design on Python lock bracket
- Programming can be tricky at first
The Moultrie M880 Gen2 is brand new for 2015 and comes with a complete redesign from last years M-880. This is a red glow infrared trail camera, meaning the infrared LEDs glow red when taking a photo or video at night.
Quality of Design
Dimensions: 5.75" x 4.75" x 3.25" | Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
The case design changed quite drastically from previous years. The latch is huge, which so far is a plus. It has been relatively easy to open and close, even with cold fingers. The buttons for programming and the battery eject tray are all positive and work well.
The python lock bracket is an extremely poor design. The loops are angled which makes the camera sit funny on a tree if you are only using the python lock and not the security case. It would also be pretty easy to torque the camera in a way to easily snap the brackets. We don't like this design at all, the only way to truly correct this is to use the camera with a security case.
The programming takes some getting used to. The programming from the 2013 Moultrie M-880 was simple and easy to use, but ever since then the programming has grown in intricacy. We have received quite a few calls from our customers needing help programming their camera (which is unusual for a non-cellular trail camera). Here is a breakdown of some of the more popular settings:
- 1-3 multi-shot
- 5 s. - 90 s. video clips
- Time Lapse: 10/30 s. / 1/5/10/15/30 min. 1/2/3/6/12/24 hrs. w/ 1 or 2 prog. / day
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature, moon phase and camera name
- Picture + Video Mode: No
- Start/Stop Time: No
- Password Protection: Yes
- SD Card Overwrite: Yes
- PIR Settings: Yes (High/Low)
- Flash Settings: Yes (Motion freeze on/off)
So far, durability remains consistent with the industry average for a camera made in China. We expect this to remain constant.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.97 s. / 4.5 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.49 s. / 7.7 s. | Detection Range: 50 ft.
The picture trigger time is just under one second, which by today's standards is average. The picture recovery is 4.5 seconds is fairly typical of many modern trail cameras.
This is the first year we are incorporating video trigger and recovery times into our rankings. This will make the rankings even more accurate and stringent. The trigger time for videos is 1.49 seconds (which is above average) and the recovery is 7.7 seconds (which is middle of the road).
Detection range on the Moultrie M880 Gen2 is right at 50 ft, just as the manufacturer claims. By today's standards, this is below average. Overall, this detection circuit isn't slow by any means, however, it would benefit from some improvement.
Photo resolution: 8 mpxl (Enhanced, High, Med. & Low) | Video Resolution: 1280 x 720 no audio | Flash Type: Red Glow Infrared
Daytime pictures have excellent color and contrast. Last year, the Moultrie M-880 had serious focus problems. This camera, the 2015 Gen2 model, has produced mixed results on day pictures. Many of the pictures we are collecting are incredible. The color is perfect and the focus is really good. On other cameras, the pictures still have great color, but animals and objects are clearly out of focus. So which is it? We are hoping the out of focus pictures are anomalies, but we will continue to monitor and test this.
Night pictures appear to be excellent. The contrast is perfect making the pictures appear sharp and clear. There is a bit of blurring, but not too bad. Flash range is a very solid 50 ft. Night pictures are a definite strength of this camera.
We are starting to include video quality in our rankings for this year. We will judge the day and night videos separately, just as we do with pictures.
The daytime videos have good color and solid clarity. This model does not record audio with the video. The night videos look great so far, the contrast is excellent and the flash range looks to be very strong. Night videos will only take up to a 30 second video. You can view all our current Moultrie M-880 Gen2 videos with the playlist below.
Resting Power (on): 0.96 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.18 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 10.04 Ws
The resting power is incredibly low and impressive. The daytime power consumption is also really good but something takes a turn for the worse when it takes a night picture. 10.04 Ws is too high.
While this camera can operate on alkaline AA batteries, we greatly prefer Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in our cameras. They are much more consistent and will last an incredible amount of time. Even with the high nighttime power consumption, if this camera were to take 35 day pictures and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, this camera could last 7.1 months in the field (with lithiums).
This camera will not work with rechargeable batteries.
Moultrie M-880 Gen2 Review Conclusion
Overall, this camera has good battery life and excellent night pictures/videos. The day pictures look really good except for some clarity issues; which depending on how closely you inspect your photos, may or may not be an issue for you. The python bracket is frustrating for anyone wanting to secure the camera with a cable lock, and you will need to read the owner's manual to fully grasp the programming. This camera is very middle of the road. A few good things, a few bad things and everything else is very average.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.