- Flash range and slow recovery time hold the Iron 9 back. It does have a fast trigger and long battery life, but we don't think that keeps this camera in the running against the current competition. - TCP Staff
Read our full Spypoint Iron 9 reviews below.
Spypoint Iron 9 Review
Model # Iron-9 | Spypoint Iron 9 Owners Manual
- Fast trigger speed
- Good battery life
- Slow recovery time
- Very weak flash range
The Iron 9 is Spypoint's base model no glow trailcam for 2015. Let's take a more in-depth look into this game camera.
Quality of Design
Dimensions: 7" x 5.5" x 2.75" | Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
The Spypoint Iron 9 has the internal camera (the internal black component to this unit) detachable from the outer camo case. In other words, the camera pops out of the external case. This makes programming and changing batteries easier if the case was already mounted to a tree. However, we don't like this design, on any camera, because of the tendency to drop the camera. We have dropped this unit more than a few times when transporting or just handling the camera. This is a matter of personal preference, but this design is a bit of a hassle for us.
The rest of the case design is pretty good. This camera is a touch larger than most current cameras. The standout here is how easy the Iron 9 is to program. Just flip a few switches and you will be good to go. The downside, is the lack of programmability. There aren't many options, but most people don't end up using the fancy options anyways. Once again, this is a matter of preference to the user.
In the past, we have had problems with durability on Spypoint cameras. Most of this has come from their wireless and cellular cameras. The Iron 9 is neither of those and early reports on durability have been strong so far.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.65 s. / 9.4 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.08 s. / 12.8 s. | Detection Range: 90 ft.
The trigger time is pretty good but the recovery times are abysmal. 9.4 seconds is not a modern trail cameras recovery time for pictures. The video recovery is even longer. The recovery times need a major overhaul.
Detection range is really good but the camera suffers from a detection angle of over 50º even though the field of view is only 38°. This can cause quite a few false triggers. This problem is noted in other camera brands as well, it is not exclusive to just the Spypoint Iron 9.
Photo resolution: 9 or 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 640 x 480 | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
The pictures came out clear and blur-free. Our big complain on Spypoint pictures would be the lack of vivid color. The color appears to be washed out, especially when compared to other cameras on the market. Outside of that, these appear to be very good daytime pictures.
We have seen several pictures that come out with a red tint. More than we would like but not an alarming number. You can see some of these in the examples below.
The night picture don't have the brightest flash, but they did produce good clarity when the animal was within 30-40 ft. The pictures aren't as bright on the edges as they are in the center, but overall, night pictures are good.
Videos have decent clarity but low resolution. Audio is nearly non-existent. Video resolution could use some upgrades.
Resting Power (on): 0.63 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 3.52 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 4.19 Ws
Battery life is excellent in the Spypoint Iron 9. Great resting current and low day/night power consumption.
The Iron 9 operates on 6 AA batteries. The battery cover is flimsy and feels cheap to the touch. Outside of that, battery life is going to be outstanding. If this camera were to take 35 day and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 8.3 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Spypoint Iron 9 Reviews Conclusion
Outside of battery life, this camera doesn't stand out in a way that would lead to a recommendation over other similarly priced cameras. Improvements are needed to the recovery time, video resolution, case design and detection angle before this camera can compare to the competition.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Purchase your next trail camera with the Experts!
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.