Buy it with:
Spypoint Link-Micro LTE AT&T Review
The biggest thing the Link-Micro has going for it is affordability, a solid detection circuit, and ease of setup. If overall performance isn't critical for you (poor battery life, below average picture quality, and lack of internal programming), this is a great choice as the camera is the lowest-priced cellular camera on the market. We would recommend this camera for anyone looking for an entry level cell camera or if you plan on putting it in an area that has a high probability of being stolen. - TCP Staff
Model # Link-Micro-LTE-Att | Link-Micro Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:1.4 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:82/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:79/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Spypoint Link Micro LTE Cellular Trail Camera Review
- Excellent detection zone
- Very easy initial setup
- Below average picture quality
- Below average battery life
- Below average durability
- No time lapse (or video)
The Spypoint Link Micro is a 4G/LTE AT&T game camera. This particular camera has had quite a bit of hype as the low price point is an easy attention grabber.
Photo resolution: 10 mpxl (interpolated)
Flash Type: Red Glow Infrared
Day pictures are fairly average. They have great color but below average overall clarity. From what we have seen so far, they are similar to the Link-Evo but appear just a touch more pixelated.
Night images have more flash range than we expected from a game trail camera with only four IR LEDs. However, the flash range still only ranked 15th out of 16 red glow cameras in our Flash Range Test. Also, we have seen a lot of white out on close objects (when the camera is in IR boost mode) and some blurring on motion. Overall, we ranked the Link-Micro night photos just a notch below the Link-Evo.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the Spypoint Link-Micro AT&T camera. If so, we will warranty the Spypoint Link-Micro AT&T game camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.21 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 86.2 Ws | 89.4 Ws
If this Spypoint Link-Micro AT&T game camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 1.4 months on a set of lithium batteries.
Keep in mind, we always calculate cellular battery life with the camera taking and sending each photo immediately. If you do not need immediate picture transfer, the Link-Micro is capable of sending in batches (every 2, 4, 6, or 12 hours). Sending in batches significantly improves a camera's battery life.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.61 s. | 65.7 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 110 ft. @ 43.1° Detection Angle (Field of View: 42.3°)
Average trigger and recovery speed times are offset with a robust 110 ft. detection range. The field of view and detection angle are set together nearly perfectly. Overall, while the speed is just average, the detection zone of the Link Micro enables this camera to operate extremely effectively in a variety of camera trap setups.
Dimensions: 3.1" x 4.5" x 2.2"
Battery Type: 8 AA batteries (Lithium)
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
The Spypoint Link-Micro AT&T game camera is the smallest cell camera we have tested to date. It is almost half the size of most modern cell cameras. The camera's case feels flimsy and cheap when handling it. This is not completely unexpected as this is the least expensive cellular camera on the market. The latch to open the camera is large (easily opens) but feels like it could break if you tried to swing it open too far.
The battery box is located on the inside of the camera and requires the user to pinch on both sides of the box and then to pull straight out. This isn't the easiest battery retrieval but it shouldn't be a big issue. The Link-Micro is NOT compatible with the rechargeable Spypoint Lithium Battery Pack.
The Link-Micro does use micro SD cards. Simply put, we do not like these. They are tiny, hard to handle, and require an adapter to download the photos to a computer. We are sure that Spypoint did this to save space, but it is not worth the trade-off.
Setup takes barely anytime at all. The camera itself does not have a setup screen, so everything is done via the app.
- Download the Spypoint Link smartphone app. Open the app and select "Activate New Device." Choose "Link-Micro" as the model.
- Use your phone to scan the Sim ID barcode located behind the battery compartment. You can also manually type it in.
- Follow a few self-explanatory steps to complete activation. Spypoint will text you your login info and password (unless you already had an account). Your camera should now be linked to your Spypoint Account.
- To add another camera, login to your account, select the drop-down near the top of the app, and select "Activate New Camera."
- Insert batteries and micro-sd card. Make sure the battery tray is inserted correctly.
- Turn the camera on. A blinking green light means the camera is searching for a signal.
- Once the signal is acquired, a steady green light means a good signal, orange is a fair signal, and red is no signal.
For setting options, the Link-Micro can be programmed to be on or off on certain days of the week. For instance, you can have the camera on from 5 pm to 8 am Mon-Fri., but on 24 hours a day during the weekend. This is an underrated feature.
This camera does not have an option to send a photo on command (this is typical of most cameras) but you can set the frequency it connects to the network checking for other setting changes. The app is very easy to navigate and will not leave you confused.
This app is where you will set your data plan, your first month is unlimited photos for free. We LOVE the fact that Spypoint offers a free data plan (100 pictures a month), so you can run the camera for no cost, year-round. If you need more than 100 pictures a month, here are the costs of the other data plan options (effective 5/3/19):
|Photos Per Month||100||250||1,000||Unlimited|
|Month-to-Month||Free||$5 per month||$10 per month||$15 per month|
|Annual subscription||Free||$4 per month||$7 per month||$10 per month|
Viewing pictures is super easy. You can scroll left or right on the images and they react instantly. Overall, set up on the Link-Micro couldn't be easier even if you don't consider yourself the most technologically advanced person in the world.
"The Spypoint Experience"
This is an additional cost on top of the data plans (if you choose to go with Active Hunter or Avid Hunter). If you have used a Spypoint Link camera in the past, you are familiar with many of these features and you used to get them for free. Unfortunately, Spypoint is now charging for many of these popular features. You can find the prices and information below.
|Casual Hunter||Active Hunter||Avid Hunter|
|Cameras qty allowed/account||Each camera||Up to 5||Up to 10|
|Photo view history for each camera/account||Last 30 days||Last 6 months||Last 12 months|
|BUCK TRACKER species (A.I. Image Recognition)||Buck only||Buck, Deer, Turkey||Buck, Deer, Turkey|
|Permanent cloud storage of favorite photo||-||-||500|
|Moose & Coyote||-||-||Yes|
|Specific notifications by species||No||Yes||Yes|
|Add-on||-||-||Camera add-on (5) $19.99|
We have had multiple cameras with connectivity issues when first setting up (we have also had plenty that have connected flawlessly). This is something we are monitoring as it has become a common enough issue to warrant attention.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
The biggest thing the Link-Micro game trail camera has going for it is the affordability, a solid detection circuit, and ease of setup. If overall performance isn't critical for you (poor battery life, below average picture quality, and lack of internal programming), this is a great choice as the camera is the lowest priced cellular camera on the market. We would recommend this camera for anyone looking for an entry level cell camera or if you plan on putting it in an area that has a high probability of being stolen.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Link-Micro Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. Once you have the cellular setup complete, it will send the photos to your Spypoint Link app. Here are some other methods for viewing images:
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: Yes. This is a red glow trail camera, meaning it has a faint red glow when taking pictures or videos at night. Humans and animals can see this if looking at the camera. This does not "light up" the woods, though.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.