Muddy Pro-Cam 12 Trail Camera Review
- The Pro-Cam 12 is quite solid all-around. Not a great detection circuit, but not bad either. Acceptable picture quality, good battery life and easy programming. For the price and with the right expectations, this camera is a good buy. The Pro-cam 12 does not come with our 2-year warranty or return policy. It does still come with manufacturer 1-year warranty. - TCP Staff
Model # mtc500
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:9.3 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:71/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:76/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- 9-month battery life
- Solid flash range
- Easy programming
- Lacks clarity on daytime pictures & videos
- "White noise" on night images
The Muddy Procam 12 is an inexpensive no glow IR trail camera. This camera is primarily used for wildlife but could also double as a security camera in a pinch.
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl | Video Resolution: 1280 x 720 w/ audio | Flash Type: No Glow Infrared
Daytime pictures have decent color and depth. The photos do lack clarity. Night images have good flash range and nice contrast. There is white out on close objects and a decent amount of "white noise" in the images.
Video quality is almost identical to the pictures. Just lacking clarity on daytime videos. We actually rated the night videos a bit better than the night photos, though. The Pro-Cam 12 takes a very nice night IR video.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Resting Power (on): 1.21 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 1.56 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 3.75 Ws
Battery life is a really good considering this camera only uses 6 AA batteries. This is an efficient little trail camera.
If this camera were to take 35-day pictures and 35-night pictures every 24 hour period, this camera would last 9.3 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.75 s. / 3.6 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.49 s. / 4.4 s. | Detection Range: 60 ft.
Picture trigger and recovery are decent. Video times are middle of the road.
Detection range is 60 ft, which is also very average for a 2016 trail camera. Overall, this is an average detection circuit.
Dimensions: 4.75" x 4.25" x 2.5" | Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 12 Volt
Case design mimics the popular Browning Sub-Micro trail cameras. This is a very small, compact trail camera. The latch is small, thin and feels flimsy. There is a 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom of the camera for a Slate River Mount. The back has a built-in bracket for a python cable lock.
Programming is simple and easy. Quite literally, it is identical to Browning cameras.
Durability is unknown at this time. If anything comes up, we will update this review.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- 12 mpxl photos (interpolated)
- 1280 x 720 video resolution
- 2-8 photo burst
- Time lapse: 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours after sunrise & before dusk. All day or custom start/end time
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- Requires 6AA batteries
- 12 Volt External Battery Jack
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Muddy Pro-Cam 12 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Pro Cam 12.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The MTC-500 has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Pro-Cam 12, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.