HCO Spartan No Glow - US Cellular
HCO Spartan U.S. Cellular No Glow Review
Model # GC-USCB
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Picture Quality:Testing in Progress
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:1.5 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:53/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:Testing in Progress
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Only camera to work on U.S. Cellular data plans
- Fast trigger speed
- Poor detection range (30 ft.)
- 1.5 month battery life
Photo resolution: 8 mpxl (interpolated)
Flash Type: No Glow IR
We are placing cameras in the field. We will post pictures and videos as they become available.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.53 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 118.32 Ws | 123.01 Ws
The resting current draw is very efficient but the day and night draws are rather high.
If this camera took 15-day pictures and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 1.5 months on a set of lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.54 s. / 88.7 s.
Detection Range: 30 ft.
Trigger speed is much improved and quite quick for a cellular camera. Recovery time seems to be 20 seconds slower than what the AT&T or Verizon cameras deliver.
The real stinker is the puny 30 ft. detection range. That is completely unacceptable. Overall, this is a very poor detection circuit.
Dimensions: 5" x 6.5" x 2.75" (w/o antenna)
Battery Type: 12 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 6-Volt
HCO Spartan No Glow U.S. Cellular Setup Process:
Activating the Spartan US Cellular camera is a bit of work. Here is how we were able to activate the camera.
First, choose your Shared Connect Plan (you can go in their store and do this or call US Cellular)
- 300 MB of data - $5.00 / month
- 1 GB of data - $10 / month
- 2 GB of data - $20 / month
Second, add your device. The option you need to choose is "Camera," this is $5 per month. There will be a $40 activation fee (one time fee, at time of setup).
There is no contract with these plans, you can start and stop at any time. As with any cellular camera, the Spartan GoCam needs good cellular reception. We recommend taking a phone to the area you will set the camera, taking a photo with your phone and texting it to someone. If the picture goes through quickly, the camera should work in that area. One or two bars of reception will not be good enough for this camera. You need 3+ bars of reception.
During our HCO Spartan Gocam No Glow US Cellular Review, we found this camera is only capable of sending pictures to an email address, it does not text pictures to a phone. However, you can bypass that by entering the phone number as email@example.com for AT&T phones or firstname.lastname@example.org and it will come as a text message. If you have a US Cellular cell phone, put the number in like this: email@example.com.
Setup is relatively simple, but we are available for consultation for our customers. Due to cellular setup taking quite a bit of time via a phone call, we do charge $30 to walk you through setup if you do not purchase from us. If you did purchase from us, we will spend any amount of time walking you through it free of charge.
HCO has a premium service you can subscribe to for $4 per month. Benefits include:
- Enables two-way communication from user to camera (remotely)
- Option of increasing thumbnail image to 1280 x 960 (which is up from 640x480). This makes objects/people easier to identify
- Up to 10 scheduled events. I.e. Tell the camera to send a status report or take a photo.
- Change or add email address' that the camera sends to.
- Check the battery status, signal level, temperature, SD card space, and number of photos taken
Since HCO charges for this service, we did not include these benefits in our rating of this camera. If they were to give it away for free (which we think they should do), then our ratings would reflect these added benefits.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: HCO Spartan No Glow US Cellular
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- This is a cellular camera so a compressed version of the picture is sent directly to your phone/email.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 8 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- 6-Volt External Battery Jack
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Spartan has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Spartan.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.