Buy it with:
Reconyx Hyperfire Cellular Review
Looking for a cell camera that is made in the USA, takes great pictures, is reliable, easy to set up, and gets 4+ months of battery life? The HF2XC checks nearly every box you can think of. This is an excellent Reconyx cell camera and a good investment for the serious trail camera enthusiast. - TCP Staff
Model #HF2XC / Reconyx Hyperfire 2 Cellular Owner's Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video Resolution
Battery Life:4.2 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power Consumption
Trigger Speed & Detection:87/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection Range
Quality of Design:91/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack
Reconyx Hyperfire 2 Cellular Trail Camera Review
- Great picture quality
- 4+ Months of battery life
- Extremely fast trigger speed
- Can send photos on command
- Easy to set up from your phone
- Made in the U.S.A. and has a 5-year warranty (from Reconyx)
- Does not have a flat-rate unlimited photo option
- Cannot program operating hours
- Does not send video
Photo resolution: 3 mpxl
Video resolution: 720p w/ audio
Flash Type: Low Glow IR (Reconyx labels this no glow but we can see a very faint visible glow)
Day pictures appear identical to previous Hyperfire game trail camera models. These Reconyx Hyperfire 2 cellular trail cameras have realistic color and good clarity in a variety of field conditions. We have found the pictures to be very consistent and have even produced impressive "twilight" photos at times of the morning and evening when other cameras would have switched to IR (black/white) mode.
Night pictures are very clear, offer top-of-class flash range, have excellent contrast, and stop motion as well as any camera we've seen.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 10.92mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 10.5Ws | 15.2Ws
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.17s | 1.2s
Detection Range & Angle: 60ft. @ 45.2° detection angle (37.9° field of view)The Reconyx Hyperfire 2 cellular trail camera has an extremely fast trigger speed and a long detection range. This is the fastest recovering Reconyx HF2XC cell camera. This HF2XC trail camera continues taking pictures as long as there is motion in front of the camera and then sends them all at once when the motion stops. This means you won't miss the action as it is happening. The detection range only checked in at 60 ft, however, the detection angle is wider than the field of view, which can result in false triggers.
Dimensions: 5.25" x 4.5" 3"
Battery Type: 12 AA
External Battery Jack: 12-volt
SD Card Size: Up to 512GB
The Hyperfire 2 Cellular has a fairly standard case design, making it easy to use with the Reconyx Hyperfire 2 security box. It feels solid and well-built. The latch is oversized and easy to manipulate. The batteries slide in much easier than on the Reconyx Ultrafire cameras and the SD card is easy to insert as well. The python lock bracket is on the front of the camera thereby not only locking the camera to the tree but also preventing access to the internal controls and memory card. There are two antennas for this Reconyx HF2XC camera (included with your purchase).
We were disappointed that the Hyperfire 2 Cellular only has one threaded insert (on the bottom) instead of having two like the old cameras. This limits the versatility of a tripod or Slate River Mount. Also, the Reconyx HF2XC camera has a simple LCD screen for settings but lacks the internal viewer that many cameras come equipped with now.
Without a doubt, the case design on the Hyperfire 2 Cellular is really solid but not groundbreaking. We do expect this camera to be able to work down to -20° Fahrenheit, so if that is a concern, the case design is still superior to Chinese-made cameras. However, when spending this amount of money, it would be really nice to have the bells and whistles that we see on other cameras (internal viewer and multiple 1/4" x 20 inserts).
We found the setup to be simple and user-friendly. You can just use your phone and the camera for setup (you don't need a computer). The app is easy to navigate and great to change settings/view pictures with. Cellular Camera Setup for the Reconyx Hyperfire 2 cellular trail camera.
- Download Reconyx Connect App and install lithium batteries, sd card, and antennas to the camera.
- Login to app or create an account. Enter personal information.
- Scan the QR code on the camera with the app (this pairs the camera).
- Turn on camera and go to the "Pair Cell to App" option and hit yes. The camera will connect and give you a device code. Enter that code into the app on your phone. This should pair the camera.
- Set data Image Cap. Save changes and the camera should be ready to go. We recommend 3 bars of reception or more for all cellular cameras (with stock antennas).
You can now login to their web portal to view photos at Connect.Reconyx.Com
Data Plan Costs
You will pay $5 per camera and this includes 200 base images. You can purchase bulk data that all your cameras can share. Here is the bulk data costs:
- 2,000 images - $5
- 4,000 images - $10
- 8,000 images - $20
- 16,000 images - $40
- 24,000 images - $60
Turning "real-time access" on will enable two way communication to happen instantly, as opposed to the next time the camera connects to the network (which is an indefinite amount of time depending on your settings). With it on, you can:
- Take a photo on command
- Check camera status at any time
- Change camera settings without delay
- Fetch full resolution images immediately
In your app, you will find a setting option that is currently only found with this Reconyx camera - transfer mode:
- Normal - Modem shuts down between events. Low traffic, a few events per week.
- Fast - Keeps modem connected to network at all times. Higher traffic, a few events per day.
- Batch - Modem powers on and sends photos at specified intervals. Non-urgent data transfer.
- Status Only - Modem powers on once per day and sends camera status.
Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but durability on Reconyx trail cameras is unmatched. These cameras are engineered and produced in Holmen, Wisconsin by some of the brightest minds in the business. On top of that, Reconyx has recently started issuing a 5-year warranty on the Hyperfire 2 Cellular. This is quite the statement.
Keep in mind, our 2-year warranty program is your free insurance program in case something goes wrong with a camera you purchase from us. This warranty protects you from any manufacturing defect the camera might experience for two years.
Since 2005, our mission has to been to provide consumers with unbeatable value, advice you can trust, and customer service that exceeds expectations. There are plenty of places you can choose to do business with, if we are lucky enough to earn your support, we promise to give you our undivided attention. Trailcampro has grown each year not only by relying on your happiness but on the assumption that if we blow you away with customer service, you will brag about us to your friends (have you seen our referral/reward program?).
As always, if you have additional questions, feel free to call, email or chat with us. We look forward to helping you find your next trail camera!
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. Here are some other methods for viewing images:
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.