Browning Dark Ops HD Max Review
Model #BTC-6HD-Max / Browning Dark Ops HD Max Owners Manual
The Dark Ops HD Max is a really good no glow trail camera. It takes good pictures, is fast, and has good battery life. For the money, we believe the Browning Pro models offer more value for just a few bucks more. - TCP Staff
Browning Dark Ops HD Max Trail Camera Review
- Solid picture quality
- Exceptionally quick detection speeds
- 9+ Months of battery life in picture mode
- Below average video battery life (1.8 months)
- *Does not work with NiMH rechargeable batteries.
Photo resolution: 18 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1280 x 720
Flash Type: No glow IR
Picture quality is identical to Browning no glow cameras from the past. The daytime pictures are good, but they lack great color shots. The color in the daytime images could really use a boost. Outside of that, the pictures are clear and well focused on this game trail camera.
Night images are very solid, especially for a no glow camera. These pictures work well for wildlife and security surveillance.
Video quality is fairly similar to picture quality.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.4 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.86 Ws | 5.45 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 15.2 Ws | 79.87 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Dark Ops would last 9.7 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries. For a no glow trail camera using 6 batteries, we consider this to be excellent.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.8 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is below average life for video mode.
*Does not work with nimh rechargeable batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.11 s. | 0.6 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.47 s. | 1.0 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 90 ft. (37.6° field of view)
The Dark Ops HD Max has plenty of speed, whether in picture or video mode, and a good detection range. The detecting circuit is without weakness, you should expect this camera to be a picture and video taking machine.
Dimensions: 4.75" x 4" x 3"
Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
This is one of the smaller game cameras on the market, making it easy to conceal in a variety of ways. The camera feels sturdy and stable. The latch remains a touch close to the camera, making it somewhat difficult to unlatch with cold fingers.
There is a python bracket on the back of the Dark Ops for a Python Cable Lock. It also has the standard 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom for a Slate River Angle Mount.
Temperature ratings the camera records have a tendency of being unreliable and off by a significant margin.
The camera setup is familiar and easy to navigate. Click "Mode" to enter the menu, tap "Up" or "Down" to toggle settings, hit enter to highlight a setting, change the desired setting with the up or down arrow, and then hit enter to save that setting. Very simple.
The Dark Ops HD Max game trail camera accepts up to 512 Gig SD Cards. That allows for tons of memory storage and most useful if placing the camera in video mode for long periods of time.
We have no concerns over durability, if anything arises, we will immediately update this review. The only thing we see on a regular basis is incorrect temperature readings. We see this on all Browning cameras, so if this is a big concern for you, we would recommend a different brand as they all tend to be inaccurate.
Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but Browning trail cameras have proven to be a durable camera for us.
The Dark Ops HD Max is a really good no glow trail camera. It takes good pictures, is fast, and has good battery life. For the money, we believe the Browning Pro models offer more value for just a few bucks more.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- 18 MP interpolated
- 1600 x 900 HD Videos with Sound (5 sec. - 2 min. length)
- Supports up to 512GB SDXC Memory Card (not included)
- Compact case size 4.5” x 3.25” x 2.5”
- Timelapse Plus camera mode with IR triggered images
- Programmable start/stop
- Up to 8 Multi-Shot Images
- Up to 8 Rapid Fire Images
- SD Card Management
- Smart IR Video
- 12-volt External Power Jack
- Camo Finish
- Picture info bar displays: Time, Date, Temperature, Moon Phase, Camera ID
- Programmable Picture Delay (1 sec. – 60 min.)
- Compatible with Browning Buck Watch Timelapse Viewer Software
- ¼” -20 Tripod Socket
Domestic Shipping Options
- Free 2-Day Shipping on all orders over $99 to U.S. addresses
- Free shipping will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use with the Browning HD Max Trail Camera.
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums | 6 Pack | $11.95
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability, and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Patriot has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal.
- This security case works with the Browning HD Max Trail Cameras.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Purchase your next trail camera with the Experts!
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.