This is a discontinued model.
2021 Browning Strike Force XD Pro Review
Model #BTC-5PXD | Strike Force XD Owner's Manual
Picture quality, video quality, detection speed, long battery life, and ease of operation; what else could you ask for? The Browning Strike Force Pro XD is an outstanding trail camera and has no significant weakness. -TCP Staff
Browning Strike Force Pro XD Trail Camera Review
- Image quality
- Excellent battery life
- One of the best detection circuits on the market
- Solid case design
- Inaccurate temperature readings
- *Does not work with NiMH rechargeable batteries.
The Browning BTC-5PXD Strike Force Pro XD trail camera is the latest edition of the popular Strike Force Pro. This red glow trail camera is the first Browning camera to be produced with two lenses, one for daytime operation and one for nighttime operation. Let's see how it stacks up...
Photo resolution: 24 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 w/ audio
Flash Type: Red glow IR
We have been very impressed with the picture quality from the Strike Force XD game trail camera. The dual lenses have made a noticeable difference on night pictures, producing more contrast and clarity. Day pictures are a real plus and display good color, contrast, and depth.
Daytime video is improved with the move to 1080. Much like the pictures, the night videos have seen an improvement in both clarity and contrast. This is a real strength of the 2021 Strike Force Pro XD.
Overall, the Strike Force Pro XD displays outstanding picture and video quality.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.12 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.8 Ws | 2.9 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 18.7 Ws | 38.9 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Strike Force HD Pro XD would last 10.3 months in the field on a set of 6 AA Lithium Batteries. We consider this to be outstanding, especially considering the camera only uses 6 batteries.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 2.8 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is very respectable battery life for video mode.
*Does not work with NiMH rechargeable batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.22 s. | 0.8 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.73 s. | 1.9 s.
Detection Range & Angle: 90 ft. | 41.7° (41.8° F.O.V.)
We can't find anything wrong with a detection circuit that takes pictures and videos at lightning speeds along with a detection range of 90 ft. This is an outstanding detection circuit and one of the top detection circuits on the market.
Dimensions: 4.25" x 3.75" x 3.25"
Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
You will find the case design to be nearly identical to the Browning Strike Force HD Pro, with the obvious difference being the XD has 2 lenses (one for day and one for night images) compared to just one. The case is small, solid and durable. It has an adjustable metal back bracket that swivels up and down (about 30° range of motion). The bracket allows for easy up and down adjustments without needing to use twigs and limbs for shims. If you need more adjustability, we still recommend the Slate River Mount.
The SD card is easy to get in and out and the battery eject button is easier than the regular Pro models. We have found the temperature ratings in all Browning cameras are very unreliable and off by a significant margin. If you need the temperature readings to be accurate, we would not recommend a Browning camera at this time.
Overall, the case design on the Pro XD is outstanding. It not only feels like a quality camera, but it functions like you would expect from a much higher-end model.
The Browning Strike Force Pro XD trail camera has a small internal viewer that makes camera setup and picture/video playback extremely easy. The viewer is a huge improvement and the live-view element eliminates the guesswork in setting up for the perfect trailcam shot.
The internal setup should only take you a minute or two - at the most. Even though the internal viewing screen is small, Browning was nice enough to enlarge the words on the screen for those of us with poor eyesight!
The Strike Force Pro XD can accept SD cards up to 512 Gigabytes. This is more than enough storage than you could ever use.
SD Card Storage Examples
With a 16 Gig SD card and the camera taking 4 mpxl photos (this is our recommended setting as it is closest to the native resolution), the Strike Force Pro XD game trail camera could store 7,774 pictures on the SD card.
With a 16 Gig SD card and the camera taking 1280x720 videos, the Strike Force Pro XD could store 318 10-second videos.
From this data, you can extrapolate out storage capacities of different sized SD cards and different resolution settings. We give you a 16 Gig SD card with the purchase of this camera through us. If you need additional or larger SD cards, you can shop all SD card options here.
Durability on the Strike Force Pro XD has been very solid for the last several years. We are pleased with the XD's reliablity.
Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but Browning trail cameras have proven to be a durable camera for us. If an issue arises in this model, we will update this Browning Strike Force Pro Review immediately.
Picture quality, video quality, detection speed, long battery life, and ease of operation; what else could you ask for? The Browning BTC-5PXD Strike Force Pro XD is an outstanding trail camera and has no significant weakness. The increase in price over the regular Strike Force Pro is worth it if you think the night picture quality is that much more important for your use.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: Yes. This is a red glow trail cameras, meaning it has a faint red glow when taking pictures or videos at night. Humans and animals can see this if looking at the camera. This does not "light up" the woods, though.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 8 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.