At this sales prices, this camera does not include our two-year warranty, 90 day return policy, or free SD card. They still come with manufacturer warranty. All sales final.
2017 Covert Red Maverick Review
The slow detection speeds keep us from giving this camera higher marks. If speed isn't important to you, the Red Maverick takes good pictures, is built well and has outstanding battery life. - TCP Staff
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:10.3 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:57/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:88/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- 10.3-Month battery life in picture mode
- 1.5" internal viewing screen
- Excellent case design
- Slow detection speeds
Photo resolution: 12 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 w/ audio
Flash Type: Red Glow IR
Day pictures are really good and match nearly all the criteria we look for. Night pictures have overwhelming flash, which is good on far away objects, but poor on close objects. Overall, the picture quality is really good but would benefit from a self-adjusting flash.
With the high-resolution (1920x1080) videos, you will find the Red Maverick day videos to be impressive. Very clear, fluid, and colorful. Great day videos.
Night videos mimic pictures. White-out when the animal is close and just a general lack of sharpness. Still, the night videos are good, they just aren't top-notch. Audio is very poor.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.72 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 2.15 Ws | 3.58 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 23.97 Ws | 58.71 Ws
The Covert Red Maverick is very efficient in both picture mode and video mode.
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Red Maverick would last 10.3 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries. This is outstanding battery life.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 2.6 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is well above average and we consider this to be solid video battery life.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.95 s. / 4.9 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 2.82 s. / 5.1 s.
Detection Range: 70 ft.
The Red Maverick is slow compared to other red glow trail cameras currently on the market. Whether in picture mode, or video mode, the Red Maverick is below average in speed.
Detection range is 70 ft. on average. Overall, this is a very poor detection circuit.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 4.875" x 2.5"
Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 6-Volt
The Red Maverick has a unique latch and case design. The latch slides up and down to unlock the camera. This works really well and is easy to manipulate. The outside of the camera is typical of Covert scouting cameras. The plastic feels thick and rugged. Very well-built cameras.
The unique part about the case design is that the camera on the inside of the case is removable. While this isn't the first camera to do this, it is uncommon. In the past, we haven't liked these designs because the cameras have a tendency to fall out or be dropped. The Black Maverick's camera actually stays in the case really well until it is pulled out. So the risk of dropping the camera is very low. For this reason, we don't mind the design and find it rather useful.
The Red Maverick has a built-in python bracket on the back of the camera and a 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom for a Slate River Mount.
The Red Maverick sets up quickly and easily. The settings are easy to navigate to and marked clearly. The 1.5" viewing screen is a tad small, so bring your reading glasses if you have trouble seeing.
We love that Covert includes start/stop time, sd card overwrite, and password protection in the options.
SD Card Storage Examples
With an 8 Gig SD card and the camera taking 3 mpxl photos (this is our recommended setting as it is closest to the native resolution), the Red Maverick could store 10,500 pictures on the SD card. This can always vary depending on the percentage of day to night pictures.
With an 8 Gig SD card and the camera taking 1920x1080 videos, the Maverick could store 412 10-second videos.
From this data, you can extrapolate out storage capacities of different sized SD cards and different resolution settings. We give you an 8 Gig SD card with the purchase of this camera through us. If you need additional or larger SD cards, you can shop all SD card options here.
Through our 2-year warranty program on the trail cameras we sell, we are able to track warranty rates on all trailcam manufacturers. We do not publish this data but Covert Scouting Cameras have had an average warranty rate. If an issue arises in this model, we will update this Covert Red Maverick Review immediately.
The slow detection speeds keep us from giving this camera higher marks. If speed isn't important to you, the Red Maverick takes good pictures, is built well and has outstanding battery life.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Covert Red Maverick Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera. This camera has an internal viewer that can play pictures and videos. Here are some other ways to view pictures.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: Yes. This is a red glow trail cameras, meaning it has a faint red glow when taking pictures or videos at night. Humans and animals can see this if looking at the camera. This does not "light up" the woods, though.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- 6-Volt External Battery Jack
- Picture + video mode
- 1-10 burst mode
- Red glow infrared
- 12 interpolated megapixels
- 8 AA batteries required
- 1.5" color internal viewer
- Time, date, temperature, moon phase on camera photo stamp
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Covert Red Maverick Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Red Maverick.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Red Maverick has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Red Maverick, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.