HCO Scoutguard SG565
TCP Rating: 67/100
- The SG565 takes incredible day and night photos. Some of the best you will ever see. This camera isn't fast though and uses a remote to program. Even still, this has been a staff favorite for many years. - TCP Staff
Read our full review below.
HCO Scoutguard SG565 Review
Model # SG565 | HCO SG565 Owners Manual
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score: What's this?
- Excellent color day and night photos
- Wide detection zone
- No nighttime video capability
- Uses a remote to program the camera
- Slow trigger speed
Every year it seems the options in the incandescent market seems to shrivel. Most people are moving to infrared cameras. However, there is still a rather sizable market for flash cameras because of their superior night pictures and ability to ID specific animals.
Dimensions: 5" x 4" x 2.5" | Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries | External Battery Jack: 6 Volt
The HCO Scoutguard SG565 is well-built, made of high-quality material, comes in a completely sealed case (keeps the weather and humidity out) and camouflaged nicely.
The ease of use score gets knocked down because you have to use a remote (comes with the camera) to program the SG565. The remote does have a little viewing screen that can help in the initial setup process. Also, the actual programming of the camera is simple and anyone can master it in seconds.
The SG565 makes a clunking noise every time the camera takes a photo. We don't consider this as serious a problem as an infrared camera that does the same thing. This is because you buy this camera for the color night pictures, which are produced from a bright, white incandescent flash. If an animal or person is not scared off by that flash, a little clunk when it takes a photo isn't going to bother it either.
The overall durability of the SG565 has been excellent with minimal returns and warranties. Most warranties on this unit involve a faulty programming remote.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.31 s. / 5.0 s. | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.66 s. / 5.9 s. | Detection Range: 80 ft.
The 2015 SG565 trigger is 1.31 seconds, it recovers in 5 seconds. This little camera is pretty slow and the detection circuit isn't built to wow anybody.
Detection range is 80 ft. This makes for an above average detection zone.
Photo resolution: 8, 5 or 3 mpxl | Video Resolution: 640x 480 audio | Flash Type: Incandescent Flash
While conducting the HCO Scoutguard SG565 Reviews, we found the day pictures are excellent with vivid color and excellent clarity. We have collected (and been sent by our customers) a ton of incredible daytime pictures from the SG565. These could quite possibly be the best daytime pictures on the market.
The night flash is fairly good, reaching out 50 ft. consistently. Since this is an incandescent camera, both day and night pictures are in color. Objects close to the camera can "white out." Ideally, you would not want the camera within 10 ft. of the animals you want to photograph. We have heard of some researchers that try to cover the flash to minimize its effect on close animals with marginal success.
If set in video mode, the camera will only take video during the day since an incandescent camera can't "flash" enough to take a sustainable video at night.
Resting Power (on): 1.26 mW | Daytime Power Consumption: 2.62 Ws | Nighttime Power Consumption: 20.9 Ws
The battery data is about what you would expect from an incandescent trail camera. The day consumption and resting current are really good, the night consumption is extremely high and will account for the majority of the power consumption.
We use Tenergy Nimh Rechargeable batteries in the SG565. However, because of a relatively high cut-off voltage, they will not get as long of battery life as normal alkalines would. For that reason, if charging the batteries every month to month and a half is not feasible for you, we recommend grabbing a set of the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. You can expect up to 6 months of life out of the lithiums.
HCO Scoutguard SG565 Reviews Conclusion: 67/100
Overall, this is one of our favorite flash cameras of all time. It is a solid all-around camera trap, and will work well for you whether you are using it to take color night photos or if you are trying to specifically ID different animals of the same species (i.e. big cat surveys). This camera is an excellent value.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.Back to Top of Page
- Incandescent flash
- 6 Volt External Battery Jack
- 640 x 480 Video
- Picture Info Displays: Time and date
- Runs on 8 AA batteries (We recommend Lithium on Nimh rechargeable batteries only)
- Supports up to 32 Gig SD Card
- 1/4" x 20 threaded insert
- Multi-shot up to 3 images
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90 Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $100
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
HCO SG565 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the SG565.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case. The SG565 does not have brackets on the back for the python so you will need the case as well.
Start at $5.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the SG565, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.