Moultrie A-40 Pro
Moultrie A-40 Pro Review
Model # MCG-13273 | A-40 Pro Owners Manual
The A40 Pro kills it in the picture quality category. They are seriously impressive for a $100 trailcam. The downfalls are the video quality, mismatched detection angle/field of view, and tricky setup. However, if you just need a cheap trailcam to take great pictures, this is the ticket. - TCP Staff
Trailcampro Comprehensive Score:
Mpxl Rating | Video ResolutionSee Breakdown ▼
Battery Life:7.9 Months
Resting Power(on) | Daytime Power Consumption | Nighttime Power ConsumptionSee Breakdown ▼
Trigger Speed & Detection:78/100
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed | Video Trigger & Recovery Speed | Detection RangeSee Breakdown ▼
Quality of Design:76/100
Dimensions | Battery Type | External Battery Jack See Breakdown ▼
- Fantastic picture quality
- Good picture battery life
- Decent picture detection circuit
- Poor video quality and video battery life
- Detection angle is much wider than field of view
- Setup is not intuitive
Photo resolution: 14 mpxl (interpolated)
Video resolution: 1280 x 720
Flash Type: Red glow IR
We couldn't tell much of a difference, if at all, between the day and night photo quality from the A-40 Pro to the higher priced M-50. That is a huge compliment as we think they are some of the best photos on the market. Day pictures are exceptionally colorful, clears, and consistent.
Night pictures have great flash, impressive clarity, and are just plain ol' good!
Videos aren't quite as good. 15 fps is choppy and the resolution is just ok. Audio seems to be pretty bad as well.
What if you purchase from us and aren't happy with the image quality?
This is a common question and we have a very simple solution. Call, email, or chat with us and we can take a look at the images and offer suggestions or immediately tell if something is wrong with the camera. If so, we will warranty the camera for you (with the free 2-Year warranty you receive from us) or return the camera for a full refund (within 90 days of purchase). You have control of the process, remember, we work for you.
In the past, many people get confused with the megapixel rating trail camera manufacturers advertise. Companies inflate the mpxl rating to attract eyes to their products. They do this through interpolation, which digitally adds megapixels to a photo without actually improving the picture.
The best way to judge picture quality is to look at actual pictures. You will notice this the most when you zoom in on a full-size image that a camera has taken. The details of the photo will appear hazy or even digitized. This is normal, and to be expected.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 1.6 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 2.5 Ws | 6.5 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 16.9 Ws | 182.6 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the A40 Pro would last 7.9 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.2 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.68 s. / 1.1 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.73 s. / 1.2 s.
Detection Range: 70 ft. | 55° (36.2° F.O.V.)
The picture detection is fast and well above average, the video trigger is a touch slow but video recovery is outstanding.
The detection range is average but the detection width is much larger than the field of view. Expect to have false triggers.
Dimensions: 5.5" x 3.5" x 2.75"
Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
The pure quality of the materials used for the case on the Moultrie A40 Pro is far superior to what you would expect on a game camera under $100. The case feels very solid and exceeded our expectations. The Moultrie A-Series of game cameras is similar in design to the higher-end M-Series, but there are a few small differences.
- There are two brackets for using a Python Cable Lock, both are located on the back of the camera. You can choose to use the cable to lock the inside of the camera to protect the SD card, or, lock just the camera to the tree.
- The A-Series cameras are slightly taller but thinner than the M-Series.
- The setup interface has fewer buttons.
The latch has an unorthodox mechanism, but it is easy to manipulate, even with cold fingers. We think it is more practical and durable than it may appear at first glance. The battery tray ejects from the bottom of the camera and fortunately, the batteries are easy to load and unload. There is also a 1/4" x 20 threaded insert on the bottom for a Slate River Mount.
A-40 Pro Setup
The LCD screen on the A40 is very small and has limited space for text. We find the setup to be simple, but rudimentary. It is fairly easy to set up, but we did have to glance at the owner's manual a few times to make sure we understood what the highlighted setting indicated.
SD Card Storage Examples
With an 8 Gig SD Card and the camera taking 2 mpxl photos (this is our recommended setting as it is closest to the native resolution), the A-40 could store 40,000+ pictures on the SD card. Keep in mind, day pictures (color) have larger file sizes than night pictures (black and white), so this number could go up or down.
With an 8 Gig SD Card and the camera taking 1280x720 videos, the A40 could store 300+ 10-second videos.
From this data, you can extrapolate storage capacities for different sized SD card and different resolution settings. We give you a 16 Gig SD Card with the purchase of this game camera through us. If you need additional or larger SD cards, you can shop all SD card options here.
Moultrie game cameras have had some of our lowest warranty rates the last two years. However, our warranty rates on Moultrie cameras are based on their higher-end M-series and Gen2 cameras. If any durability/warranty concern pops up, we will update this review.
The A40 Pro kills it in the picture quality category. They are seriously impressive for a $100 trailcam. The downfalls are the video quality, mismatched detection angle/field of view, and tricky setup. However, if you just need a cheap trailcam to take great pictures, this is the ticket.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Moultrie A40 Pro Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: Yes. This is a red glow trail cameras, meaning it has a faint red glow when taking pictures or videos at night. Humans and animals can see this if looking at the camera. This does not "light up" the woods, though.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you a 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- Red glow IR Flash
- 36.2° Field of View
- Compatible with optional Moultrie Field Modem
- Photo stamp includes: Time, temperature, date, moon phase, and camera name
- Accepts up to 32 gig SD card
- Requires 8 AA batteries
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two-year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Moultrie A-40 Pro Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the A-40 Pro.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The A-40 Pro has brackets on the back specifically for this lock.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the A-40 Pro, but most people use two sd cards. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.