All cameras backed by the industry’s
You must love your new camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house.
Primos Proof Cam 03 - Gen 2 Blackout
Primos Proof Cam 3 Gen2 Review
Model # 64056
This low glow trail camera is fast, easy to setup, and takes great pictures. However, they have our highest warranty rate (by a large margin) and that causes us to not recommend this unit. When they work, they are awesome. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen consistently enough. -TCP Staff
- Excellent daytime pictures
- Very capable detection circuit
- Below average video battery life
- Poor durability
Photo resolution: 16 interpolated mpxl
Video resolution: 1280 x 720 w/ audio
Flash Type: Low glow IR
Day pictures are exceptionally bright a colorful. Primos has always been able to put together a beautiful day photo. Night pictures have plenty of illumination but have a tendency to severely whiteout close objects at night. When the animal isn't close, the night pictures have great flash, clarity, and contrast. Overall, images are really good.
Video quality mimics day pictures.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 0.83 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 5.98 Ws | 9.07 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 26.56 Ws | 129.85 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the Proof Cam 03 would last 6 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries. This is less than in the past and is considered average.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.5 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This is relatively weak.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.79 s. / 0.9 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 1.0 s. / 2.2 s.
Detection Range: 70 ft
Picture trigger speed is a tad sluggish but everything else is fast. Video trigger and recovery speeds surprised us with faster than expected times.
This detection circuit is very capable and well above average.
Dimensions: 5.25" x 4" x 2.75"
Battery Type: 8 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
The case design on the Proof 3 is strong yet simple. The latch isn't our favorite, but the rest of the case is very solid. The python bracket is actually on the front of the camera, which locks the case shut. The camera does have an insert for a Slate River Mount.
Programming the Primos Proof Cam 03 is incredibly easy. Throw away the owner's manual, you won't be using it. Simply slide the toggle switches to your desired setting, and put in the time/date and off you go. The only downside to the programming is the lack of advanced options. Here is a breakdown of the settings:
- 1-5 multi-shot
- 5 s. - 60 s. video clips
- Time Lapse: 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 m. intervals - Daylight Hours
- Photo Stamp: Time, date, temperature and moon phase
- Picture + Video Mode: No
- Start/Stop Time: No
- Password Protection: No
- SD Card Overwrite: No
- PIR Settings: No
- Flash Settings: No
As you can see, the Primos is super easy to get up and running but has no advanced options for experienced users. Whether this is good or bad entirely depends on your preference.
Durability has not been a strength of Primos cameras. In the past 2 years, they have among our highest warranty rate.
This low glow trail camera is fast, easy to setup, and takes great pictures. However, they have our highest warranty rate (by a large margin) and that causes us to not recommend this unit. When they work, they are awesome. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen consistently enough.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Primos Proof Cam 3 Gen 2
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a number of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. Choose between the iOS Reader for iPhones and the Android Reader. Phone readers require an app to access the photos, you can read more about these via the previous links.
- Trail Camera Viewers. While more expensive, handheld viewers are useful if you don't have a smartphone or run multiple trail cameras.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- 12-Volt External Battery Jack
Buy your next trail camera or accessory from us and we will protect your purchase with our 90-day return policy and our exclusive 2-year warranty.
Most manufacturer warranties are only one year. In our opinion, that isn't good enough. Our customers get a two year warranty, directly from us.
Trailcampro's 2-Year Warranty
If the trail camera you purchase from us goes defective within two years of your purchase, we will quickly replace it.
We strive to make the warranty process as quick and easy as possible. Simply fill out our warranty form.
Trailcampro's 90-Day Return Policy
We believe you have the right to return any game camera that does not meet your expectations within 90 days.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
Want to talk to a trail camera expert? Contact our friendly staff.
Read our Customer Testimonials to find out what our customers have been saying about us!
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Primos Proof 3 Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case, or just the camera itself. The Proof Cam 3 has brackets on the front specifically for this lock.
Start at $9.95
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the Proof Cam, but most people use a second card. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.