2019 Reconyx MS8 Review
The MS8 is a true wifi trail camera. Place the camera within a wifi network and it will email you every picture taken. The MS8 is the perfect weatherproof wifi security camera. - TCP Staff
Model # MS8
- Only trail camera on the market to connect to home/business wifi and transmit photos for free
- Very fast picture detection and recovery
- 5-year warranty from Reconyx on this product
- Excellent case design and easy programming
- Requires an app to be downloaded on your phone and basic technology skills
- Only locking option requires buying the security case
The Reconyx Microfire MS8 is the first wifi trail camera to hit the market. Let's take a look at how it performs.
Photo resolution: 3 mpxl
Video resolution: 1024x720 w/ audio
Flash Type: Low Glow Infrared
Day pictures do not have the bright color we have seen in other Reconyx trailcam models. However, we knew there would be a trade-off in picture quality to have the wifi technology. Clarity, depth, and focus all look accurate from our security field pictures.
Night pictures do lack flash range. The MS8 would not excel overlooking a dark, open area, but it does well when there are objects for the invisible IR light to bounce off of or in areas that have street or business lighting to help with the photos (like our security pictures below). Overlooking the lack of flash range, we are happy with night pictures.
Video quality mimics picture quality. We only use the MS8 for security surveillance of our warehouse and office space and with the wifi technology, we believe that is the best but not only use for this camera.
Videos can't be sent via wifi. They are saved to the micro SD card.
Picture & Video Resting Power (on): 2.89 mW
Picture Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 1.94 Ws | 4.05 Ws
Video Daytime/Nighttime Power Consumption: 22.79 Ws | 86.48 Ws
If this camera were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the MS8 would last 5.9 months in the field on a set of 6 AA Lithium Batteries. Keep in mind, the more you connect to the camera with your app and download photos, the quicker the batteries will be used.
Wifi Internet Mode
If you connect the camera to your home or business internet and if the MR5 were to take 35-day and 35-night pictures every 24 hours, the MS8 would last 3.9 months in the field on a set of 6 AA Lithium Batteries. When you compare this to cellular trail cameras on the market, this is outstanding battery life.
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night videos (10-second videos) every 24 hours, it would last 1.4 months in the field on a set of lithium batteries. This on the lower end of efficiency, but remember, the camera is only using 6 AA batteries. This camera does not transmit videos via wifi.
Picture Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.10 s. / 1.6 s.
Video Trigger & Recovery Speed: 0.22 s. / 5.8 s.
Detection Range: 40 ft.
Picture trigger and recovery speeds are outstanding. This camera can catch even the fastest animal. Video trigger is extremely impressive but the video recovery time is sluggish.
Detection range is 40 ft. This really limits the setup options for the MS8.
Overall, this detection circuit is faster than the Reconyx Ultrafire models but does not recover in picture mode as fast as the Hyperfire trail cameras.
Dimensions: 4.75" x 4" x 3"
Battery Type: 6 AA Batteries
External Battery Jack: 12-Volt
Case design is top-notch, which is exactly what you expect from a camera made in the U.S.A. The engineers at Reconyx are known for building game cameras with extreme precision and durability.
Case design is unique and progressive. The MS8 has a tube shape and could be concealed inconspicuously in a number of ways. This is not without trade-offs. The tube shape could either blend in well or stick out depending on the situation. The mounting is also unique - the MS8 comes with a screw in mount (with a ball joint) that allows the camera to be pointed numerous ways.
The front of the camera screws off revealing a front and back. The battery compartment fits neatly into the back of the camera. There is a cloth pull tab to remove the battery compartment. We have found this doesn't work nearly as well as forcefully slapping the compartment against your off-hand. The batteries are very snug and tough to remove without the help of a small screwdriver or a key. All three components have specific positions they must be in to fit together properly.
WIFI Transmission & Setup
We finally have a true Wifi trail camera! This has been long-awaited and eagerly anticipated. With a recent firmware update, the MS8 can connect to your home or business wifi and transmit pictures directly to your email address. We quickly updated our MS8 that sits on the outside of our office/warehouse and connected to the wifi network. This was quick and easy and accomplished in a matter of minutes.
We now can check pictures and activity around our offices from anywhere in the world. Reconyx does not charge a fee for this, so outside of the cost of the camera and the cost for your wifi, this is a free service (unlike cellular trail cameras).
If you don't have wifi access near the camera, the MS8 can still create its own wifi hotspot and send pictures to your phone when you are within 50-100' (exactly like the Reconyx MR5).
Setup is done entirely with the Reconyx app on your phone. This can be found in the app store on your iPhone or on Google Play on your Android. Remember, this camera requires the app to operate - there is not an internal setup screen. Once you have the App going, search for the camera (you will still need to be within 50' to change or edit settings. You can't access the camera remotely, you must be within 50'). If the camera is nearby, the app will quickly find the camera and will run you through a quick setup guide (extremely handy for first-time users). After this is over, you are ready to get the camera set to your specifications.
Setup couldn't be easier, simply select a setting and change it to your liking. Time and date automatically correlate to your phone's settings. We found all our favorite settings, including; start/stop time, PIR sensitivity and password protection. When you are ready to put the camera to work, just select "Arm Camera." This will also happen automatically after 2 minutes (as long as you don't have the codeloc on).
Durability on Reconyx trail cameras is un-matched. These cameras are engineered and produced in Holmen, Wisconsin by some of the brightest minds in the business. We have yet to have a warranty issue with the MS8.
There are obvious trade-offs to both the unique camera shape and only using a phone to program the MS8. However, if you are proficient with a smartphone and the shape of the camera works for your scenario, we believe you will find the quality of design near-flawless.
As the only true wifi connected trail camera on the market, the Reconyx MS8 is in its own class of security trail cameras. Even with that in mind, the MS8 is an impressive device. This is a completely weather-proof camera, capable of emailing you every triggered photo, anywhere in the world - for free. If the camera is within a wifi network, this is the ultimate security camera.
The MS8 is compact, fast, durable, takes adequate pictures, and reliably sends photos to your email address. The battery life is good when compared to cellular trailcams but below average if compared to a typical trail camera. This camera isn't for everyone, but if you are looking for a wifi camera, you should be pleased with the results.
Enjoy our reviews? Please consider purchasing your next trail camera from us.
FAQ's: Reconyx MS8 Trail Camera
Q: How do I view the pictures?
A: There are a couple of ways to do this. Pictures/videos are stored on the micro SD card you place in the camera.
- View pictures on your computer. Plug the micro SD card in a desktop computer or laptop via the built-in SD card reader or use a USB reader if your computer doesn't have one. This method works for most tablets as well. With this method, we recommend having two SD cards per camera so you can swap them in the field.
- View pictures on your smartphone. The MS8 requires the Reconyx App to program the camera. From this app, you can also view the downloaded pictures or videos.
Q: Will this trail camera trigger on small animals (birds, rodents, etc.)?
A: Trail cameras detect on a combination of heat and movement, so, yes, small mammals will trigger the camera. However, if you are going after smaller warm-blooded mammals, we recommend getting the camera closer to your target. For best performance, place the camera in an area that would enable picture detection from 3 - 20 ft.
Q: Can animals see the infrared flash on this camera?
A: This is somewhat controversial. Humans can't see the flash as the nanometer spectrum is above what the human eye can detect. It's also much harder for an animal to see, but that could depend on the species of animal as different species see in different light spectrums.
Q: Where can I purchase this camera?
A: From us! We hope to woo you with our incredible charm, two-year warranty, 90-day returns, free continental U.S. shipping, and technical expertise. If that isn't enough, we give you an 16 Gig SD card with this camera and you can call and talk our ear off anytime.
Seriously, though, we know you have plenty of options of where to spend your hard-earned money. The internet can be the wild, wild, west of too-good-to-be-true deals. If you choose to do business with us, we will go out of our way to make sure you are happy with the camera you select and the service we provide you.
We are passionate about testing and reviewing trail cameras, but most importantly, we are passionate about treating our customers the right way. We do things differently from what you have come to expect from other internet retailers and we hope you give us the opportunity to prove that to you.
Read Reviews From All the Game and Trail Cameras
- Connects to wifi network to send photos to your email address
- Requires a Micro-SD card (we give you one for free if purchased from Trailcampro)
- GEN2 NoGlow Covert Infrared Illumination up to 50 feet
- 0.2 Second Trigger Speed.
- Universal Camera Mount included.
- 720P HD Video with Audio.
- External Power Connection included.
- Operating Temperature -20 to 120 Fahrenheit.
- BuckView Mobile App included.
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
- Free UPS Economy Shipping on all orders over $99
- Free shipping applies only to the lower 48 states and will be shipped via the most economical method.
- Orders placed before 3 p.m Central Standard Time are usually shipped the same day
- We are happy to offer expedited shipping options. Prices are shown during checkout.
Dear International Customer:
International rates vary by country and postal code. Please click here for detailed international rates.
3048 S. Clifton Ave
Springfield, MO 65807
Trail Camera Accessories
Here are a few of the accessories we like to use in the Trail Camera.
- There is no downside to using lithium batteries. Long battery life, extreme durability, and better night pictures. You will be happy you did.
- Use this to protect your new camera from bears and thieves. It provides much-needed peace of mind when leaving your camera out in nature.
- Use this with the security case. The MS8 does not have built-in brackets for the python lock, you have to use it with the security case.
- SD cards store your pictures and videos for easy removal. We give you a free SD card with the MS8, but most people use two SD cards. If you have two cards, you can swap them out when you retrieve the pictures.
Verified Customer Reviews
We ensure that every customer review comes from one of our real customers and not someone who works for the competing trail camera manufacturer. These are verified customer trail camera reviews that you can trust.
We would love your feedback if you purchased this trail camera from us. We want your honest feedback, these reviews are a vital part in helping consumers choose the right game camera.
Trailcampro's 2 Year Warranty | 90 day Return Policy
Trailcampro 90 Day Return | 2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details
If you purchased your trail camera from us (Trailcampro.com), here are the following warranty stipulations. If you purchased from another retailer, we recommend contacting that retailer or the manufacturer of that product for their warranty details.
If You Purchase From Trailcampro.com
We attempted to make our return policy and 2-year exclusive warranty as simple as possible. However, there are a few stipulations.
90 Day Returns
You may return or exchange anything purchased from Trailcampro for a full 90 days from the date of purchase. Please use the items as you normally would and much as you like subject to the rules below.
Our return policy lets you field test products, at no risk to you!
- Buyer's remorse? Return the camera to us for a full refund (minus shipping).
- Purchased the wrong camera? We will ship you the right camera.
- Something wrong with the camera you received? We will replace it at no cost to you.
90 Day Return Policy Rules:
- 90 days from date of purchase.
- In order to receive a full refund, items must be returned with their original packaging (including UPC code) and all contents
- Cameras or products must be returned in their original condition. You cannot write on the cameras, paint them or deface them in any way. This completely voids the warranty with both us and the specific manufacturer.
- If you purchased one of our "Package Deals" and only return part of the package, we will refund the items full price minus the package discount.
- Orders with quantities of 5 or more are not eligible for a refund or exchange. They are still eligible for warranty replacement.
- There are no returns on used cameras or cameras that clearly state "No Returns"
- If you are returning for a refund, you are responsible for return shipping. Your refund amount will be minus the cost of the initial shipping to you.
2 Year Warranty
We strive to make our customer experience superior to anything available. Traditional warranties only last a year and must be processed directly through the manufacturer. This process usually involves frustrating minutes on hold with call centers and oftentimes weeks, if not months of down time waiting for your replacement product. We process our warranties in-house and expedite the replacement process. When you call Trailcampro you'll speak directly with an expert who will immediately identify the problem and offer a solution.
2 Year Exclusive Warranty Details:
- Warranty starts from the time of purchase and continues for a full 2 years.
- Replacement cameras receive the remainder of the 2-year warranty leftover from the original purchase.
- Warranty is only valid for full retail priced orders (quantity discounts void our 2-year warranty). Discounted items still receive the manufacturer warranty. Price matches void the 2-year warranty as well.
- If your defective camera has been discontinued, we will exchange it for a similarly priced item to your liking.
- If you have a 3G cellular trail camera, it is not considered manufacturer defect if you lose 3G reception in your area.
- Used cameras do not apply for our 2-year warranty
- Cameras cannot be marked on, damaged, or defaced in any way. Warranty is for manufacturer defect only. Defect does not include damage, whether intentional or not.
If you have any questions that were not answered here please feel free to contact us.
To warranty a camera please use the form below. Upon receipt of an RMA number, you will need to ship the camera back to us. You will be responsible for the shipping charges of the defective camera back to us. We will ship the replacement back to you for free.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
WHEN YOU BUY FROM TRAILCAMPRO:
You must love your new trail camera, or game camera or return it for a full refund in the first 90 days-no questions asked.
Double the Warranty
We double the manufacturer’s 1-year warranty to 2-full years and handle all warranties in-house on our trail cameras and game cameras.